New member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2022, 12:06 AM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: still looking
NY

Hi-I am a new member, and hope I am in the right place. I am still looking, but it's for a small fiberglass motorhome, not a trailer, I am hoping that there are members with fiberglass motorhomes, but if not I still think the group could help me with a lot of repair and service since a lot of the works on a trailer may be similar to a motorhome. Anyway, thanks, Nick.
Nick in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:10 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in NY View Post
Hi-I am a new member, and hope I am in the right place. I am still looking, but it's for a small fiberglass motorhome, not a trailer, I am hoping that there are members with fiberglass motorhomes, but if not I still think the group could help me with a lot of repair and service since a lot of the works on a trailer may be similar to a motorhome. Anyway, thanks, Nick.
This forum is (as you’ve noticed) about towables, so few owners and not a lot of help finding one or solving chassis issues. But as you say, shell and coach issues are pretty much the same.

Scamp once made a small fiberglass motorhome c.1985-87. Very rare. Most were built on Ford Rangers, but a few were built on Dodge Dakotas. If you found one of either, you’d be a celebrity here!
Click image for larger version

Name:	47B42331-4320-4EC4-8AF3-995C15955108.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	145438
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Scamp Motorhome Dakota.jpg Views: 14 Size: 192.9 KB ID: 145443" style="margin: 2px" />

Sunrader is the best known molded motorhome, and I believe it has its own forum somewhere. That would be another place to hang out.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:16 AM   #3

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Sunrader is the best known molded motorhome, and I believe it has its own forum somewhere. That would be another place to hang out.
The Class C Sunrader on a Toyota chassis was our very first motorhome. Fun little coach, but when sitting in the driver's seat looking in the mirror, it looked like a monster behind me! It was preceded by a '60s something Scotty Hilander Sportsman.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:22 PM   #4

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Something like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2022-04-11 at 14-21-19 Restoring a 1984 Bigfoot truck camper - Fiberglass RV.png  
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 09:23 PM   #5

NY
Thanks everybody! This group seems very friendly and helpful, even if I am out of the usual range of the club. Thanks also for any information you gave me on makes of small fiberglass rvs, we never knew about the scamp, but have been following Sunraders as they climb up in price, along with all the other toyota class Cs. There must be another option, if any of you know about alternatives like the scamp, especially any for sale please let us know, thanks again, nick.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:26 PM   #6

NY
Hi0-gotta say, I love this! it looks like you could camp and pay for your sites by street cleaning the parking lot. Another not pretty but really cool fiberglass rv is the mobile traveler, but I know that's off the general thread of the group, sorry-
Old 04-11-2022, 09:40 PM   #7

NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
The Class C Sunrader on a Toyota chassis was our very first motorhome. Fun little coach, but when sitting in the driver's seat looking in the mirror, it looked like a monster behind me! It was preceded by a '60s something Scotty Hilander Sportsman.
Thank you both for the info., The Toyota forums are great for information on how to fix your toyota, and occasionally one will come for sale, but the ones in bad shape are expensive, and ones in good shape are nuts i price, but people keep buying them. So we'll keep Toyotas in mind but are trying to find other options, tx-
Old 04-11-2022, 09:43 PM   #8

NY
Quote:
P.S., we are now in Las Vegas visiting with my sister in law, but home is Albany, in upstate NY, close to the Adirondack Mountains, great camping country.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:14 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Thank you both for the info., The Toyota forums are great for information on how to fix your toyota, and occasionally one will come for sale, but the ones in bad shape are expensive, and ones in good shape are nuts i price, but people keep buying them. So we'll keep Toyotas in mind but are trying to find other options, tx-
Honestly, the whole RV market is kind of nuts right now, and small ones are the worst. I don’t know of any undiscovered gems, especially not molded fiberglass. You’ll just have to keep scouring all the listing sites and see what comes up. Flexibility is important; limiting yourself to specific types or makes means a longer search. I mentioned the Scamp motorhome not so much as a recommendation but as a point of relevance to this site. Are you also looking at older Class B's (Explorer, Roadtrek, and many others with fiberglass roofs and/or bodies) and even small Class C's (like the Chinook)?

I'll have to say for me a towable has a number of advantages. They're generally cheaper to buy and simpler to maintain. You can pull one with a newer vehicle- in some cases one you already own- so you aren't dealing with repairs and maintenance of an aging truck or van chassis.

Not only is buying an RV difficult, but even finding a spot to camp in desirable locations has become a challenge. How do you plan to use the RV? What kind of travel are you planning?

I think the high cost of fuel, if it persists, will put a damper on RV travel. I’m already seeing more units for sale and some moderation of prices. Fall is often a good time to be a buyer. Keep your head and be patient.

Best wishes in your search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 12:06 AM   #10

NY
Thanks Jon, I think you are totally right, it's been very tough, for reasons of needing a vehicle you can drive a towable is out for now, and we have thought about the rialta and would love to find a Chinook, and down this list we were even considering a Japanese import, usually low miles, diesel engine but right hand drive and standard shift. We will keep the faith, and stay open to any suggestions from anyone who knows where we should be looking. Take care, Nick.
Old 04-16-2022, 11:11 AM   #11

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
Dodge Travco. Built from 1964 to late 1980s from 21 feet to more than 30 feet. Charles Kuralt "On the Road" drove one.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 07:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 1990 13 ft Scamp / 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Registry
I would second Jon's suggestion of looking at various class B and small class C vans, particularly the Roadtrek 200 and 210, which have fiberglass bodies. We own a 190, which has a fiberglass raised roof on a Chevy Express 3500 van.
Conrad S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:05 PM   #13

NY
Hello Doug, thanks, I have always thought that a small Class A would be nice, but wondered if it would be more complicated and difficult to work on, and run hotter, engine being completely hidden(?) and all. But the Travco looks so great, if I knew more about how difficult they are to repair I might look for one...
Old 04-16-2022, 09:07 PM   #14

NY
Thank you for this, how is the bathroom on these? That's primary, sleeping room is not as important, we would do day trips mostly. Tx-
Old 04-16-2022, 09:08 PM   #15

NY
Sorry, the message on the bathroom is for Doug and Conrad, tx...
Old 04-16-2022, 09:54 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
I can NOT think of a single FIBERGLASS motorhome that is currently in production. I wouldn't be surprised if that's because motor VEHICLES have specific safety requirements that are significantly higher than they are for trailers. Some Class-C RVs come close (think Mercedes Benz Sprinter based units). Keep in mind that MANY of those "smaller" Class-C RV's have VERY little CCC (Combined Carrying Capacity) and, you may go overweight simply by filling the diesel, propane & fresh water tanks along with a driver and possibly one passenger (cargo? fugettaboutit). MANY owners do NOT realize this and quickly go overweight in one or more parameters (which can be VERY dangerous)..
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 07:32 AM   #17

Trailer: 1990 13 ft Scamp / 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Registry
Quote:
Thank you for this, how is the bathroom on these? That's primary, sleeping room is not as important, we would do day trips mostly. Tx-
Roadtrek has a typical RV flush toilet. These vans are about 21 feet long and 8-1/2 feet high, so easier to maneuver than larger RVs. Brochures for any year Roadtrek are available on their website. Roadtrek 170 models are shorter, with metal van body and fiberglass raised roof. The 190 is similar but a bit larger. The 200 and 210 models have the fiberglass body.
Conrad S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 08:10 AM   #18

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If I was looking for a motorhome, I would prefer molded fiberglass, but I would also consider a Lazy Daze. It's not fiberglass, but a very well-made aluminum skinned unit. Best of luck with your search.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 11:19 AM   #19

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
I can NOT think of a single FIBERGLASS motorhome that is currently in production. I wouldn't be surprised if that's because motor VEHICLES have specific safety requirements that are significantly higher than they are for trailers. Some Class-C RVs come close (think Mercedes Benz Sprinter based units). Keep in mind that MANY of those "smaller" Class-C RV's have VERY little CCC (Combined Carrying Capacity) and, you may go overweight simply by filling the diesel, propane & fresh water tanks along with a driver and possibly one passenger (cargo? fugettaboutit). MANY owners do NOT realize this and quickly go overweight in one or more parameters (which can be VERY dangerous)..
Coach House, Nakomis, Fl www.coachhouserv.com

And while I agree about the Combined Carrying Capacity rating of these Class B and Class C motorhomes being very limited, in all my many years of driving tractor trailer, I have never seen, or heard of, a RV being pulled into a scale house in any state. I started drivng tractor trailer after my military Vietnam days in 1970 and have been over a heck of a lot of state scales.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 04:14 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
Quote:
Coach House, Nakomis, Fl www.coachhouserv.com

And while I agree about the Combined Carrying Capacity rating of these Class B and Class C motorhomes being very limited, in all my many years of driving tractor trailer, I have never seen, or heard of, a RV being pulled into a scale house in any state. I started drivng tractor trailer after my military Vietnam days in 1970 and have been over a heck of a lot of state scales.
I agree that it IS rare for an RV to be directed into a Weigh Station BUT, perhaps you've noticed that some Weigh Stations are now labeled by GVWR rather than the old phrase of "Commercial Vehicles"? If (when?) said ratings are enforced, MANY (most?) RVs WILL exceed the posted Weight Rating (I've seen 12,000# on multiple highways). I can see a time where "poor" states looking for funding starts to enforce weight limits. Something that would accelerate said trend would be an increase in accidents involving RVs. I believe that VERY few "newbies" go out and pay for PROFESSIONAL RV Driving Instruction. This would make it MORE LIKELY to "zap" an RVer would be if they're involved in an MVA; ESPECIALLY if said accident included Death or SPI. In either such case, a "Scales Unit" would likely respond and, said unit will check EVERYTHING in order to determine the likely cause of said accident. I've seen Scales Units and Accident Investigation personnel scour an accident scene and collect debris that was likely produced by a serious accident. Bottom line, CYA before you get bit in the butt.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote