new member - davec - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-29-2017, 05:20 AM   #1

Name: davec
Trailer: exiss
in
new member - davec

any advice on towing with a minivan - Toyota sienna?
davec795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:04 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You didn't say what year. For many years an optional tow package was offered, consisting of a larger radiator and alternator and an ATF cooler. Hitch and wiring were separate, and dealer-installed wiring was only 4-pin; you had to go aftermarket for full 7-pin wiring. The mechanical towing upgrades became standard in recent years, I believe, but you still have to add hitch and wiring. Check your owner's manual about the requirements for your year. A dealer can determine if it is equipped with a tow package if required- don't assume based on whether or not it has a hitch.

Fully equipped with trailer brakes, all years are rated to tow up to 3500#. Practically speaking, I would not recommend towing right at the limit for a number of reasons.

First is the tendency to load up a minivan with people and/or cargo, which reduces your real-world towing capacity. Tow ratings typically assume the driver and one passenger, but no extra people or cargo.

Second and related, tongue weight needs to be considered. A soft rear suspension and relatively low hitch can leave you dragging your tail if you get close to the 350# tongue weight rating. Again, extra passengers and/or cargo in the van contribute to the rear axle load.

Last, frontal area and trailer shape have to be considered- there's a difference between a tent trailer, a low-profile rounded egg trailer, and a tall, wide, boxy conventional trailer. Tow ratings are usually tested with a low profile box cargo trailer (I see a lot of camouflaged new models being tow tested in Arizona). Anything wider or taller than the vehicle is going to add drag and tow like a heavier trailer at highway speeds.

I towed our 13' Scamp (1700#) with a 2000 Sienna (194hp 3.0L V6). It towed the smaller trailer very nicely but did work hard on mountain grades with 4 people and maybe 150 pounds of cargo on board. With the more powerful 3.5L engine, full tow package, and trailer brakes I'd feel comfortable towing something the size of a 16' Scamp (2500#) but not much more.

We have since upgraded our tow vehicle to a Honda Pilot, but I considered another Sienna at the time. I loved the old Sienna and consider it one of the most practical and reliable vehicles I have owned. The new Siennas have gotten pretty big, one reason we opted for the Pilot instead. My kids still miss the minivan.

Tell us more about your Sienna and what you plan to tow (Exiss doesn't sound like any molded fiberglass trailer I've heard of), and I'm sure you'll get more specific recommendations.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:47 AM   #3

Name: davec
Trailer: exiss
in
towing with a sienna

Jon - thanks for your help. We have a 2009 Sienna. It does not have a towing package and the dealer says Toyota does not offer one on this years model. We are considering trading for a vehicle that is already set up for towing instead of adding onto the 2009 which already has 115,00 miles on it.
Again, thanks for your help. This is a wonderful website.
davec795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:01 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The dealer's answer is a little confusing. I'm pretty sure there was a factory tow package option in 2009. What they are probably saying is there is no aftermarket Toyota upgrade to match it, which is expected, given the nature of the components. Going forward, I think it depends on what you are planning to tow. For a smaller trailer you could probably get away with just adding the ATF cooler along with hitch and wiring. That's not too expensive and readily available aftermarket.

We were in the same position at 180K & no tow package. I realized after our first trip I needed the ATF cooler and 7-pin wiring to run trailer brakes. It also needed a few other minor but expensive repairs- sliding door mechanism, seatbelt, and timing belt. We found a good deal on a lightly used Pilot, which came standard with everything for towing- ATF cooler, hitch, 7-pin wiring, and brake controller port- but had never been used to tow.

A Sienna with 115K should have plenty of good miles left on the drivetrain, but you'll have to weigh the pros and cons. With a small trailer like our Scamp 13, the Sienna gave a smoother tow than the Pilot. It was cheaper to operate (insurance, tires,...), and the drivetrain ran like new at 180K. The Pilot was plug-and-play for towing. My wife liked the Pilot, so that tipped the scale.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:29 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
A tranny cooler should fix you up fine for towing. I've read that the Sienna's rear suspension can be rather soft, so you'd probably want to limit the hitch weight to 250 lbs or thereabout. That rules out a Casita 17' with front bath, for sure.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote