New Member from Dallas, TX - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-06-2020, 02:43 PM   #1

Name: Deon
Trailer: In the Market
Texas
Smile New Member from Dallas, TX

Hello everyone! I am so happy to be apart of this awesome community.

I am currently looking for a smaller fiberglass travel trailer with a bathroom. (17'-20')

Current interests are the 16ft Scamps, Burro 17ft, Casita Spirit Deluxe 16ft, etc.

I am in the Texas Area, but wouldn't mind traveling to surrounding areas such as Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, & Louisiana.

Will mostly be using for weekend camping trips for now, with hopes of being my full time living space.

I am a newbie to the RV/camper world and am always open to new advice and tips for the new journey ahead of me.

Extremely happy for this community!

Thank you!
Deandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the best l'il trailer forum in the world wide web!!

Speaking of little, you said 17-20', but several of your choices are shorter than that, so I thought it'd be worth pointing out the difference between overall length (tongue to bumper) and cabin length (living space). The difference is usually around 3' unless the unit has an extended tongue or bumper for storage.

Conventional framed trailers designate their models by cabin length, which means the overall length will be about 3' longer. Say you're looking at a Jayco 17RB (don't if that's a thing or not, I just made it up). It has a 17' cabin, so the total length will be around 20'.

Molded fiberglass trailer manufacturers (and Airstream, BTW) designate models by overall length, so the cabin is around 3' shorter. That's actually the older convention, so it's not marketing exaggeration or fish stories. A Casita 17SD (that's a real thing!) has a cabin that's about 14' long.

Since many molded trailers are narrower too, the living space is quite compact. Baths are wet baths: toilet and shower in one waterproof enclosure. Beds are narrower and shorter than your bed at home (the main bed in most Scamp 16's, for example, is only 45"x76"). Many have interior heights not much over 6' and a few are less.

I'm not trying to discourage you; we love our small trailers (and there are a few larger molded fiberglass trailers). Just things to be aware of as you do your research. These are virtual times, but it's hard to get a feel for the actual space from a photo or floorplan. In the end there's no substitute for a first-hand look.

Best wishes in your search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:36 AM   #3

Name: Thomas
Trailer: Casita Independence 17
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deandra View Post
Hello everyone! I am so happy to be apart of this awesome community.

I am currently looking for a smaller fiberglass travel trailer with a bathroom. (17'-20')

Current interests are the 16ft Scamps, Burro 17ft, Casita Spirit Deluxe 16ft, etc.

I am in the Texas Area, but wouldn't mind traveling to surrounding areas such as Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, & Louisiana.

Will mostly be using for weekend camping trips for now, with hopes of being my full time living space.

I am a newbie to the RV/camper world and am always open to new advice and tips for the new journey ahead of me.

Extremely happy for this community!

Thank you!
Check the Casita web site. Theirs one in Austin on Sunday.

Tom C
Thomas A Cronquist is offline   Reply With Quote