New member from Florida - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-11-2016, 07:28 PM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Casita
Florida
New member from Florida

Hi. We are new Casita owners. We picked it up in Texas in August and took a week getting back to Florida. Since then we have been out three times. Two more trips are set for March. Looking forward to better weather.
casper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:37 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Dennis!

Congratulations on your trailer… you didn't exactly say, but since you went to Texas to get it, I'm assuming it's a brand spanking new one from the Casita factory. Sweet!

I hear you about the weather. I have said many times that the nice thing about AZ is you can find temperate weather for camping within a half day's drive twelve months of the year. I'm questioning that this winter, as even the low deserts have been chilly. We're grateful for the moisture, though.

Hope you're able to get out again soon!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Welcome and congratulations on your new Casita, they are nice. My car doors froze shut this morning but you go ahead and enjoy the camping weather were you are... ;-)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #4

Florida
It is just freezing out there tonight. Since we didn't winterize I have a small space heater running. It has a thermostat so only runs when it is cold enough. Just went out and checked and it is 61 in there with all the cabinet and BR doors open. Should be fine.
We do have a new Casita '17 SD and really enjoy it. Every time out is better than the last. TV is a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Seems to do just fine but have not been to the mountains yet. Will head to northern Georgia in a few months. We downsized from a '34 fifth wheel and this is so much nicer. WE decided a long time ago that camping should be outside instead of in a huge home on wheels. Love it.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:34 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New member from Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper1 View Post
...We downsized from a '34 fifth wheel and this is so much nicer. WE decided a long time ago that camping should be outside instead of in a huge home on wheels. Love it.
That is exactly how the vast majority of us feel here! Some of us have moved up from tents, teardrops, and pop-ups; others have stepped down from large motorhomes and fifth wheels. Some are converts from the motel lifestyle. But we find common ground in the philosophy that less is more, and that travel is about the people and the places we visit, not the equipment we drag along.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #6

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Well said, Jon!
Old 01-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #7

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome to the forum, Dennis!

Congratulations on your trailer… you didn't exactly say, but since you went to Texas to get it, I'm assuming it's a brand spanking new one from the Casita factory. Sweet!

I hear you about the weather. I have said many times that the nice thing about AZ is you can find temperate weather for camping within a half day's drive twelve months of the year. I'm questioning that this winter, as even the low deserts have been chilly. We're grateful for the moisture, though.

Hope you're able to get out again soon!
Jon is right I'm finding. ha

This winter is my first time out in the southwest. I spent 6 weeks one year and 2 months another year in Florida (Umatilla, Bradenton).

A friend suggested Why,AZ but after looking on the internet I decided on Ajo. Man am I glad! I have never been out this way and can't believe how well I can breathe. I broke my nose when I was a kid sleighing and this is the first time I can actually breathe through both nostrils! Lot's of bike trails here too which I like to do.

I know now where I'll be coming for the winters now. It has been cool the last couple of weeks but not bad and things are going back to normal here.

Ajo, AZ (85321) Forecast | Weather Underground

Humidity at 41% right now. Staying for 4 months too.
DuaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:32 PM   #8

Name: Dean
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Dennis,

Congrats on your new Casita! We bought an '05 Casita 17' FD in November. It is our first RV. Looking forward to several camping trips in 2016!

Take care,

Dean
Old 01-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #9

Florida
I imagine you will really enjoy it. We learn more each time we go out. Takes awhile to figure what you need and what is unused. Happy Camping
Old 01-16-2016, 10:58 PM   #10

Name: Dean
Kentucky
Registry
Dennis,

Agreed. Definitely a learning curve, but fun! Cold up here in KY, so I am reading Arizona Eileen's Casita Travel Trailer A-Z Owner's Guide to facilitate my learning curve!

Dean