New member from MI - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Currently researching
Michigan
New member from MI

Hello All,

I stumbled across this forum as I have been researching small travel trailers for my small family (me, wife and 18 mo. old son). In recent years I've been doing more camping in the shoulder seasons (hunting, fishing) and be able to push into more remote areas (lakes in Canada) with more comfort. I have found keeping my van (Chevy Express) comfortable when hunting in Nov. to be challenging; too little insulation, too many windows, not enough room. A larger 4x4 campervan is way out of budget and won't fit in the parking structure at work. My van paired with a 16' trailer like a Scamp or Casita would be pretty sweet.

So I'm here to learn what I can and see if a fiberglass RV is for us. Hopefully I will be in the market to buy something used by this time next year. But I just wanted to say hello!
ChrisZinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:55 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Welcome Chris.

I just got my used Scamp 13 this fall. Haven't used it much except for driveway camping, got some electrical and plumbing work done on it to get everything in working order. Keeping it warm in my driveway has not been all that difficult. Usually one small ceramic heater on the low, 750 watt setting can keep it well above freezing. On the single digit and low teens nights, I added a second heater at the opposite end of the trailer and ran it part time on the low setting as well, and could easily keep the trailer around 70*. Saying all this to indicate that the Scamps, while not designed for winter use, are decently insulated. I've done nothing special with windows to add insulation, which I understand helps a great deal. I did add a chunk of building foam insulation to keep the portapotty from freezing when sitting on the cold floor on the really cold nights. I have no extensive plumbing, just a fresh water holding tank (empty for the winter) and a direct gray water drain line outside. I've just used jug water so far - works fine for my purposes.

Where in Mi are you? I'm in the Thumb. You would be welcome to come check out the Scamp 13 if you haven't gotten to see one up close. Mine is a 1999, so a bit smaller (lower ceilings) than the current 13's.

Good luck with your research. LOTS of good information on this site.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:57 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Howdy, Chris!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:18 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Consider your headroom needs as the 16 ft Casitas are lower (5-10?) than the 17ft (6-1?)

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote