New Member from Ohio/North Carolina/Alaska - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2015, 06:28 AM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yep, most of the plug n play wiring harnesses terminate in a flat 4 connector... BUT, there are any number of 7 blade receptacles that come with a pre-wired flat four pigtail, so all you have to do is connect the two, add the brake and charge lines, and you are good to go.

At least in FGRV's your vehicle can tow, there are only two hitch ball sizes, 1 7/8" and 2". As a WAG, most are the 2" variety, just verify with the seller. As a temporary solution there are multi-size drawbars, with two or three balls attached, available. Check with Harbor Freight for an inexpensive one. Adjustable hitches are expensive, and all are guaranteed to meet up with your shins when installed. Again, if you start with the standard height for a Scamp, you should be fairly close for starters.

And Jon's advice is pertinent. Unless it's a super deal, I would suggest just avoiding any that don't have brakes from the get-go, as well as any that look like they will need a new axle. But aged tires are always a concern, just check the numbers as it's not uncommon to find aged out tires, especially on rigs that haven't been used for several years.

Good luck with your hunt

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree with Bob- skip the adjustable drawbar and just get one that comes close. Scamp 13 coupler height is approximately 16-18" from the ground. You will be putting 150-200 pounds of weight on the hitch so have someone sit on the back of the vehicle while you measure.

About ball size... some older trailers take 1-7/8" and newer ones take 2". They're cheap enough at Walmart and returns are easy. Buy both, but don't install. Take the tools with you and install when you actually buy a trailer. Then return the unused one.

When you go to inspect a trailer, you can download and print the Buyer's Checklist here.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #23

Arizona
Registry
Here's a photo of an axle with the brake flange:

Name:   Brake Flange.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  4.5 KB
The square piece with four holes is what you're looking for. It'll be right behind the wheel, assuming you don't see the brake drum itself.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #24

Name: dawna
Trailer: U-Haul
North Carolina
Greetings!

A lot of these forums mention memorable stories on how people find their first fiberglass RV. When I started looking in October, I had hoped I could have a similar experience; I'm elated to report that I indeed have.

Through a lot of luck (and frequently checking this website), I happened upon a 1985 U-Haul CT in Columbus, Ohio while visiting my Mom and Grandparents. Marty D and his wife Pam are the sweetest people I've met in ages- and fascinating too. Travelers and collectors and story tellers true an true- my favorite kind of people. Marty has been a pretty active member on this website and has collected (and printed) just about every discussion/forum/manual there is to find about these types of U-Haul trailers. He's also throwing in a ton of extra parts (like a Fantastic Fan!) and has promised to help me out should I have any questions. In reality, I hope he and Pam are just ready for frequent visits and postcards.

Another huge plus was that Marty did a ton of work replacing the axle and installing electric brakes- something a majority of you suggested as being ideal. So half the battle was already taken care of; my hitch receiver and break controller have been installed and I look forward to picking up my girl next week.

Thanks for being so awesome and helpful, fiberglassrv.com community. This has been an excellent experience and a memorable origin story.

Safe Travels,
dawna
dawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #25

Arizona
Registry
You did well, Dawna! You have been very patient, as I notice it's been several months since you began your search. A U-Haul in good condition is a prize in itself, but making the connection with the previous owners is priceless. U-Hauls do have a few idiosyncrasies, so their help is a huge bonus.

Best wishes and happy camping!