New member here, new to us Ken-Craft!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2024, 08:41 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Ken-Craft
Colorado
New member here, new to us Ken-Craft!!!

My wife and I are avid campers, we live in Colorado and we have recently purchased a 195* Ken-Craft travel trailer. We are not certain of the year, and are trying to find out information if possible.

The camper has smooth sides with a raised "swoosh" design that runs the length of the camper at about 32" up. I am working out how to upload pics, so I will do that soon.
SteveAlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:46 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Anything like this? I spotted this one at a campground last year. Talked to the owners and learned it was a Ken-Craft, made in California. They weren't sure of the date of theirs either, possibly 1959 or 1960, and they had owned it since the 80's. Pretty rare!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ken-Craft.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	151347

Uploading pictures is a little tricky. Use the paperclip icon, not the globe and link. If it's not shown, click "go advanced." Click the paperclip, choose your photo(s), then hit "upload." It may take a while to upload depending on the file size. When it's done you will see the photo files drop down into the list of attachments.

Then return and submit your post. The photos will appear in a clump at the end of the post. If you want to insert your photos in the middle of text as I have done, place your cursor in your post where you want the photo to appear. Click the arrow next to the paperclip, then click the one you want to insert from the drop-down menu, and you'll see an attachment marker pop up in your post.

To see how your post will appear before submitting, use the "preview" first.

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your "new" Ken-Craft!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 05:13 PM   #3

Colorado
The camper in your photo is most likely a 1956, (from what I have been learning the last couple of days). I was told by a historian that they made none in 1955, the year the company started, and in 1956 they only had smooth fiberglass sides for half of that year, before they went to aluminum siding on the sides and kept the fiberglass roof. Thanks a million for the tip to upload pics, I'm gonna give that a shot shortly. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2024, 05:15 PM   #4

Colorado
pics of our "new to us" Kencraft, 1956 we believe

Name:	IMG_8656.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	151362

Name:	IMG_8659.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	151363

Name:	IMG_8665.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	151364
Old 04-19-2024, 07:55 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Interesting. Where did you find the history- here on this site or somewhere else?

The one I saw also had a brushed-on paint job and wasnít smooth or shiny up close. I wonder what the original factory finish was like? What are your plans for the exterior?

I didnít get to see the inside, so Iíd love to see some photos of that too, when youíre ready.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 08:16 PM   #6

Colorado
Kencraft......

Update of info, the company actually did begin to build campers in 1955. Our camper is a 55, almost 17' from hitch to back of camper, but it is a bit of an oddball. It has metal trim holding the roof to the sides, but all of the other ones I have seen with the smooth fiberglass sides, (they switched to aluminum sides in 56), have completely one piece roof and sides. The lower sills were rotted completely, and I just finished today replacing those. Next I will begin to add fiberglass and cloth to strengthen up some areas, to smooth and level the fiberglass in places, and then I will cut a line in the middle of the rafters, jack them up 3/4" and fiberglass them with a prop in their new position. Interior is gutted as it was when I got it. I have a few cabinets, and some shelf pieces, but other than that it will be a complete remodel. Going to use birch with shellac inside, and I will use retro stuff to an extent. We are not going for original, we are just going to make it a very nice, comfortable camper. I'll put up some pics when it starts coming together.