New member in NC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2016, 07:04 AM   #1

Name: September
Trailer: Happier Camper
North Carolina
New member in NC

Hi All,

I have been lurking in the forums for a while now, so I thought I'd introduce myself. My husband and I have a lot of backpacking experience, and now we are hoping to get the kids involved in camping more by getting a small trailer. We have a large screen house with side walls, and our vehicle has a 2000 lb towing capacity (in the US).

We are thinking about the HC-1 Happier Camper for next year, but we would love to sit in a 13' fiberglass camper to get a feel for the size. I al also curious about others' experiences with a family of 4. The girls are 7 and 8 years old and likely will be between 5'7" and 5'9" in a few years. Hubbie is 6'1" and
I am 5'7", so I am curious about sleeping 4 in a 13' scamp/casita/HC-1. I have slept in shelters where everyone snores, but I have not slept in a camper yet 😀
Toxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:48 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Sounds like your vehicle limits you to a 13, but it will be really tight trying to sleep 4 in one. Will the kids sleep in a tent or the screen house. We use a Eureka Northern Breeze screen house that has flaps to close it in, but we use it for extra space for sitting and eating. When our kids were home we used a pop-up camper, bought one for our daughter who has 3 kids, and now giving our old pop-up to our son who has 3 kids.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, September!

We have a Scamp 13 and we are four (girls ages 10 and 13). Sleeping arrangements are… well, cozy, but comfortable. My wife and I find the standard 45" dinette bed tight for the two of us, so we rearranged: my wife shares the dinette bed with our younger, sleeping head-to-toe. I share the front bunks with the older (who is quite petite, or we'd be up against the 120 pound weight limit of the upper bunk). None of us are large or tall, so it works for us. If you do decide on a Scamp, you might want to consider the no-cost optional 54" dinette bed.

Last I checked new Casita Patriots are only available with the front bath layout, so they only sleep two. You'll have to go back a few years to find one with the bunks. Casitas only have about 5'10" of interior headroom (vs. 6'2" for late model Scamps).

The Happier Camper HC1 looks really interesting. It lacks a bunk option, so you might have to give up an inside galley to create sleeping space for four. The modular interior gives you a lot of flexibility.

I hope you'll be able to find a way to get a first-hand look. If you call Scamp they will try to set up a demo with a current owner in your area. Not sure how you could get a look at a Happier Camper, but I'd give them a call.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:56 AM   #4

Name: September
Trailer: Happier Camper
North Carolina
Thanks Jon and
Mary and Bob,

Yes, the HC1 could be interesting! I am putting feelers out to see if anyone in my area has a 13" trailer we could see. If not, there is an egg gathering in the Outer Banks in October. That is approximately forever from now, though, so hoping to see something sooner.
Toxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:54 AM   #5

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
13' Scamp in Chapel Hill

If you want to get a good look our 1977 Scamp and talk logistics we are in Chapel Hill. We don't camp with kids, but do camp with 3 dogs one of which weighs in at 115. We have various sleeping arrangements depending on a quick over night and out in the morning to spreading out more and having more room. We have tent cots that rock. My husband got one for when he travels on his bike with sidecar for cross county trips. When I saw how easy it was and comfortable I got one for myself. We pulled out the bunks expanded the cooking facilities with a wrap around. Ikea drop in sink and a real two burner. Have solar panel for boondocking and AC unit when it is really hot and we have hook up. id post pics, but have never succeeded in doing that on this list serve.

PM me if you are curious and close enough to care.
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #6

Name: Trixie
Trailer: Boler
North Carolina
13" Boler in Garner NC

I'm over in Garner and would be happy to let you see inside our lil egg. I camp with just one adult and 2 small kids. It is tight, but very doable especially if when hanging around the camper one or more of you is outside in your extended living space.
Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #7

Name: Biker
Trailer: 2018 Bigfoot 21' 25B21FB (PREV: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe)
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
We have tent cots that rock. My husband got one for when he travels on his bike with sidecar for cross county trips. When I saw how easy it was and comfortable I got one for myself.
Hi,

What type of tent cots do you have?

Thanks!
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:10 AM   #8

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
You understand I don't actually OWN one, but wanted one for years...
Cabela's Deluxe Tent Cot – Double : Cabela's
Old 04-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Another option is to attend a fiberglass rally
Most folks love to show off their trailers... It might give you some other options to consider

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #10

Name: Bill
Trailer: Oliver
North Carolina
Welcome from NC. Will send a PM about a lightweight camper we are getting ready to sell.