New member looking for a Egg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2015, 08:12 AM   #1

Name: Luke
Trailer: In the Market
British Columbia
New member looking for a Egg

Hey everyone,

Joined the site to get more information about fiberglass Egg's.

Recently sold my Kamparoo Weekender and am looking to upgrade to either a fiberglass RV or an A-frame style (Chalet/Aliner). Still not sure if a fiberglass RV is the way to go for my style of camping (off road) but I do like what they offer.

Been looking at the link below, which seems to be in great shape for a 1980's Trillium 4500. Already asked the owner for a few more pictures of the Frame condition near the front of the body, and the belly band. Definitely interested in the trailer if all looks good. Then a axle + tires will be on the to do list.

Trillium 4500
1980 Trillium 4500

My old Kamparoo Weekender.

Vantage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:50 AM   #2

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome.
That Trillium looks very nice, it is a high price but it is the rare front dinette model. David is our resident Trillium expert he should be along shortly to give his opinion.
Make sure you take along the buyers checklist, when bearings last done etc,and that they have fridge precooled. At that price I expect minimal issues. Also ask if the windows have been pulled and resealed with butyl tape. Sounds like you have some knowledge about trailers and obviously aren't a newbie
Good luck, lets us know how you make out.
The Fiberglass RV Community
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #3

British Columbia
Talking to the owner, it sounds like little renovations have been done but it was stored in a garage and they were (obviously) very good at keeping it in great condition.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
For a 4500 in good shape that price is not really high - especially by Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island BC pricing standards. There is another currently for sale in the Lower Mainland for a couple of thousand more. My suggestion is that if you are on the Island and as its on the Island and it is in good shape you may regret it if you let it slip away! ;-)

If you want to do some price comparing take a look at www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com at current listings in BC & at this time of year (prices normally a bit higher than in the fall and winter) and look at the historical listings under historical RV's sold section as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
For a 4500 in good shape that price is not really high - especially by Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island BC pricing standards. There is another currently for sale in the Lower Mainland for a couple of thousand more. My suggestion is that if you are on the Island and as its on the Island and it is in good shape you may regret it if you let it slip away! ;-)

If you want to do some price comparing take a look at www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com at current listings in BC & at this time of year (prices normally a bit higher than in the fall and winter) and look at the historical listings under historical RV's sold section as well.
I am not on the Island, I live in Abbotsford so it isn't as easy to see the trailer in person (especially with the Ferry so expensive). I do agree that it is a good price for the local market, and I will regret it if it slips away.

I have been scouring fiberglass-rv-4sale.com every few hours and craigslists across BC/Alberta.

Hopefully the seller gets back to me soon with some more pictures so I can plan a day trip to go see it.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
I am not on the Island, I live in Abbotsford so it isn't as easy to see the trailer in person (especially with the Ferry so expensive). I do agree that it is a good price for the local market, and I will regret it if it slips away.
If you go for it I would suggest you book a few days off and plan on camping a few days on the Island to make it worth while. The cost of getting it off the Island will be about $200 in ferry fees one way.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #7

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
desirable trailer....

very nice and sort of rare I guess...looks real good inside and out....no bathroom but I guess you're not looking for that.... with you mostly bushwacking

on that score, yeah you would probably be spending some money given your intended used....I do a lot of logging road travel and broke a spring after a couple of months (have beefier springs now)....most of these trailers stay on pavement....

I hope it's still there by the time the vendor gets back to you....when I was shopping I "lost" two very good candidates that I wished I had "jumped on" a little harder

I'm on the island and I bought from another island...LOL....(Saltspring).....the way I handled it I sort of made a deal with the owner over the phone: For me to travel to the "island" he had to hold the trailer, at his asking price, till I got there (that same day)....and after inspection, if it was really the way he decribed it in the ad I would give him his price....if he had "lied" in the ad (me finding non advertized problems) I would then make him an offer......it's really the only way to handle it...you don't want to land in Nanaimo, call the guy to find out he just sold it to somebody....

"your" trailer is about an hour and a half from me (Courtenay)....if it was closer, like in Courtenay/Comox, I'd drive over and have a look for ya....

final note on FGs....after awhile when I was shopping I saw more than my share of stick-builts trailers with structural defects from people bushwacking with them....they just don't take the rattles and bangs it seems....that's when I started looking for a FG trailer exclusively....at least you're not wasting time like I did....cheers, and good luck
Attached Thumbnails
grayh.jpg   ketab.jpg  

twinlilly.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
I'm on the island and I bought from another island...LOL....(Saltspring).....the way I handled it I sort of made a deal with the owner over the phone: For me to travel to the "island" he had to hold the trailer, at his asking price, till I got there (that same day)....and after inspection, if it was really the way he decribed it in the ad I would give him his price....if he had "lied" in the ad (me finding non advertized problems) I would then make him an offer......it's really the only way to handle it...you don't want to land in Nanaimo, call the guy to find out he just sold it to somebody....
Good advise - the nice ones do vanish off the market fast. I did the same as above when I purchased my trailer but the seller had to give me 24 hours to get there - it was in Idaho and I am in Vancouver. He agreed. The seller told me he had several folks telling him he should not wait for me to get there and just sell it to them! Lucky for me he was a man of his word!!!

As we are having such great warm weather and the first long week-end of this years summer camping is fast approaching the trailer market is HOT. If your serious about the trailer and it has not gone yet (if it was on the mainland its a good bet it would be gone already) you should call the seller (don't waste time with email) and firm something up with the seller fast. You do have the fact the trailer is located on the island which tends to reduce its visibility/easy access resulting in it *possible* being on the market a few days longer than it would if it was easy to get to see here on the mainland - its actual location on the island is in your favour as well... but I would not count on it!

How hot is the market currently - On Thursday a used Escape trailer of the size that I have been keeping my eyes open for was posted for sale at 6:30 PM - by the time I saw the listing less than 24 hours later, it had a buyer and at least one other in line waiting for the first guy to fail to close as agreed, as well as a couple of other seriously intreasted buyers, so no point in even putting my name on the waiting list!!