New Member Looking for a Trailer for Limited Offroad Use - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: in the market
California
New Member Looking for a Trailer for Limited Offroad Use

Hello;

My wife and I have a Hummer H3T Alpha (crew cab pickup with a 5.3L V8) that we use for prospecting and rock hunting. Our maximum towing capacity is 5,900 lbs. We are interested in acquiring a camper that we could take to remote dig sites. We've looked at expedition trailers, but we want an indoor space to cook, eat and sleep and a bathroom with a standup shower. We are willing to compromise on off road capability by parking the trailer when the trail gets too rough, but we don't want to have to leave the trailer at the edge of the pavement.

We are interested in trailer recommendations or suggestion that could meet the following requirements: (1) able to handle moderate off road use (with modifications if necessary), (2) bathroom with standing shower, (3) 6' 1" headroom, (4) sleeping for three (one queen/double and one single) (5) fresh, grey and black water storage for one to two nights of dry camping. Not really looking to refurbish a classic or deal with obsolescence issues like modern equipment won’t fit.
portager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Mike, welcome to FiberglassRV. I'll leave the answers to those more in the know... those that have similar needs/wants. But, wanted to take a moment to welcome you to one of the friendliest forums on the web.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I would say that molded fiberglass is a good outer shell material to take offroading. The trailer that most comes to mind is the Li'l Snoozy. Queen bed up front, jackknife sofa on the side to sleep a 3rd person, plenty of headroom, wet bath, tanks should last 2 days (but not much more!) with judicious use. If they would build you one with an axle lift and oversize wheels/tires, you might have a pretty nice offroad trailer.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
At first I thought a Bigfoot 21RB with the dinette or couch. They are heavy so it may not work. Maybe the Bigfoot 175FB. Fresh water should be 30 and both Grey and Black tanks should be 21 each. For three you may be pushing the limits on the tanks over two days. I haven't seen a 175FB in person and I'm not sure if they still make it. It's listed as a floorplan but not under specs. I know you can axle swap on the larger campers so it would be worth a call. Ours already has a pretty good ground clearance but for true off road I personally would go shorter and as high as I could. An articulating hitch would also be necessary if you plan on going really off the beaten path. If I think of anything else I'll post again. Welcome.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
¡Hola! from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Welcome to the Forum.

We have a 2005 16' Scamp with a Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head. Scamps might have the headroom your asking for, but the rear bed is narrow as is the side bed. But the side one could be modified. I have seen some of these for Casitas which have a narrow side beds as well. Scamp only come with 13" wheels, not sure if you can get 14" one to fit or not. Not sure if the factory would do a high lift axel on them or not. ??? I am about 6' tall...my wife is 5'3", we are able to use the rear bed, but found we have more elbow room if we sleep 'head to toe'. The narrow bed is the major negative with the Scamps. IMHO.

Casitas, being a foot longer, have wider beds in rear or can have two twin beds. These have been modified to be wider as have the side beds. They can be order with a high lift axel and with 15" tires. Headroom would not be as tall as the Scamps.

Lit Snoozy, a new brand, is a roomy unit, but are all electric, but it seems they will add the plumbing for propane, but you have to get the appliances installed. They seem to be able to work with you in adding what you want. No rivets to break on rough roads like Scamps & Casitas.
Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites

EggCampers, another all electric camper, but a somewhat larger format, might have the space you are seeking. No rivets to break on rough roads like Scamps & Casitas.
LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER

Escape, a well made, sturdy trailer made in BC Canada, might be one to look at. They are noted for working with customers to build what they want. No rivets to break on rough roads like Scamps & Casitas.
Escape Trailer Industries > Home

Trillium, also made in Canada, might work. No rivets to break on rough roads like Scamps & Casitas.
Compact lightweight fiberglass Outback travel trailers Calgary | Trillium Trailers

Park Liner, another new brand, might work. No rivets to break on rough roads like Scamps & Casitas.
http://www.parkliner.com/

It seems these lightweight trailers will be somewhat bouncy due to the single axles, so going 'off road' you will need to baton down the hatches to keep things from flying around. Ha!
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #6

Great info Adrian!!! But, the Trillium is made in California and the Outback is made in Canada.

Trillium RV: www.trilliumrv.com

Outback: Compact lightweight fiberglass Outback travel trailers Calgary | Trillium Trailers (even if the URL says Trillium Trailers.... )
Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Hi Mike, Glad you found us! The Bigfoot 17/17.5 (17.5 after 2004) might be a good choice for the headroom, full shower, tank capacities, and being able to find a used one. I would see the limiting factor being the bed size: our 2003 B1517CB (center bath) beds are 70"x40" in back (bench seat) and 72"x 42" in front (dinette). We make due with the narrow back bed so we can leave the dinette set up, makes it very close though! I'm 6 foot/185lb, she 5 foot 115lb as a reference. There is a gaucho configuration, so someone may chime in here. My memory is the post 2004 17.5 beds are the same,but not sure. There also are older 17 foot Bigfoots with bunk beds, and the bed sizes info is on a chart on this site, can't find it, maybe a moderator can link it.
Hope this helps, Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
¡Hola! from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Welcome to the Forum.

We have a 2005 16' Scamp with a Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head. Scamps might have the headroom your asking for, but the rear bed is narrow as is the side bed. But the side one could be modified. I have seen some of these for Casitas which have a narrow side beds as well. Scamp only come with 13" wheels, not sure if you can get 14" one to fit or not. Not sure if the factory would do a high lift axel on them or not. ??? I am about 6' tall...my wife is 5'3", we are able to use the rear bed, but found we have more elbow room if we sleep 'head to toe'. The narrow bed is the major negative with the Scamps. IMHO.

Casitas, being a foot longer, have wider beds in rear or can have two twin beds. These have been modified to be wider as have the side beds. They can be order with a high lift axel and with 15" tires. Headroom would not be as tall as the Scamps.

Lit Snoozy, a new brand, is a roomy unit, but are all electric, but it seems they will add the plumbing for propane, but you have to get the appliances installed. They seem to be able to work with you in adding what you want. No rivets to break on rough roads like Scamps & Casitas.
Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites

EggCampers, another all electric camper, but a somewhat larger format, might have the space you are seeking. No rivets to break on rough roads like Scamps & Casitas.
LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER

Escape, a well made, sturdy trailer made in BC Canada, might be one to look at. They are noted for working with customers to build what they want. No rivets to break on rough roads like Scamps & Casitas.
Escape Trailer Industries > Home

Trillium, also made in Canada, might work. No rivets to break on rough roads like Scamps & Casitas.
Compact lightweight fiberglass Outback travel trailers Calgary | Trillium Trailers

Park Liner, another new brand, might work. No rivets to break on rough roads like Scamps & Casitas.
ParkLiner Fiberglass Ultralight Travel Trailers -

It seems these lightweight trailers will be somewhat bouncy due to the single axles, so going 'off road' you will need to baton down the hatches to keep things from flying around. Ha!
I must say, you have an obsession about rivets, I have had several trailers with rivets (like Scamp & Casita) which had thirty years of hard use and no broken rivets.
Did you have one break or something?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Bigfoot actually made an expedition model trailer around 2008 before they closed. I think only two or three were actually made. A guy at Palm Springs had one for sale around three years ago. I didn't see the actual trailer but he had a craigslist ad with several pictures. It was a 21' model designated the "RBX", the X being fo expedition. As I recall it had a flipped axle which put it farther off the ground. It also had some brush guards along the front side corners and it had some aluminum gravel guards on the lower front. The floor was a tile floor. Very nice looking trailer. Your thread prompted me to do some google searching and I found this ad with a picture of one. (it has already sold) .

New 2008 Bigfoot T21RBX Trailer | Casper, WY | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

There is an outside chance you could find one of the existing ones if you searched. I don't know what your budget is but I am sure if you called the Bigfoot factory in Canada (now reopened)and ask they would know what it was. They would probably build one for you.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I have an Escape 17B with the "High Lift Axle & 15" Wheels - plenty of ground clearance, and as Adrian stated, they are willing to work with you to build to order...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #11

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Once upon a time we had a 19 foot 5th wheel (stick built) but we used to take that out on mountain 4WD roads without too much problem. It slept 4 in three beds and had standing shower.
I could be wrong, but I think the 5th wheel hitch is more stable in bumpy conditions. Make sure it's not too tall or you'll be doing forestry alterations!
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #12

Name: Gord
Trailer: Escape 17b
British Columbia
How did you make out researching and buying an off-road equiped trailer?

We have an Escape 17B with 15" tires and hilift axle that sees some off-road use.

Perhaps we could start a new thread on non-pavement oriented modifications, etc.
Gord W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #13

Gosh, I think Mike (OP) has disappeared: Last Activity: 01-26-2012 11:29 AM. I hope he found the trailer he was searching for
Old 07-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Donna D... I spoke with Tom from Trillium RV at Bolerama. He has moved camp from California. The rules and atmosphere for business were to stiff. He's parted company with Mattman for his shells too!!!
Seems a lot of business and money is flowing out of sunny Cal.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
For anyone that may be interested in off road trailers, this section of the Expedition Portal website might be a starting point:

Expedition Trailers - Expedition Portal
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #16

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Donna D... I spoke with Tom from Trillium RV at Bolerama. He has moved camp from California. The rules and atmosphere for business were to stiff. He's parted company with Mattman for his shells too!!!
Seems a lot of business and money is flowing out of sunny Cal.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
I'm on my way to Canada for a job, California just won't compete with BC for tax breaks and other incentives. I love living there and it's sort of my spiritual home, but there are MANY downsides to the state.

One of the owners of the campground I wintered in last year has a newish 16' Casita, an older 13' Boler (or Eco?), and IIRC a Trails West Campster, or similar box shaped trailer he's put on a larger frame (previously existing flatbed trailer I think) for off road use. I believe he's said the Casita was too big (and nice) to take off road and the Boler is set up to keep as light as possible rather than setting it up for off road use.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote