New member looking to learn and buy a camper - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-31-2020, 06:34 PM   #1

Name: G. Lynn
Trailer: Currently shopping
Tennessee
New member looking to learn and buy a camper

Hello all, I'm G. Lynn Davis, new member. I'm struggling to learn how this website works. I'm interested in buying an Oliver Camper or something else and traveling the North American continent with my partner. There is a lot to learn, and I'm eager to get started.
Lynn
G. Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:45 PM   #2

Name: sue
Trailer: 1978 boler
Ontario
HI Lyn
I am trying to figure this sight out as well.
Im definitely struggling
Maybe I can learn with you

Sue in Ontario, Canada
suedolpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:41 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Tip #1: First place to look IMHO is the upper right, click on the manufacturers tab.

Then select the manufacturer you are interested in. This will give you most of the discussions on that brand, Very handy.

Tip #2: on this forum, and most other forums for that matter, learn to search on GOOGLE. Lets say you want to see every posting on painting a Boler.

Type in this to the google search bar: Painting Boler site:fiberglassrv.com

Assume most things that are new to you have been discussed before, often, many times before. By doing a quick search you will get access to hundreds of comments, rather than waiting to get one or two.

If you are interested in an Oliver, I don't think anything compares. They are a pretty unique, four season all fiberglass trailer. Price is the usual stumbling block (high) and weight (heavy).

Tip #3: Weights. There are dreamland light weights that you sometimes see tossed around. I know I have seen plenty! The weights in the real world spreadsheet shows you documented actual weights on these trailers. Molded fiberglass trailers are not nearly as light in weight as some people new to this segment might think.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...rld-43010.html
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:58 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Lynn View Post
Hello all, I'm G. Lynn Davis, new member. I'm struggling to learn how this website works. I'm interested in buying an Oliver Camper or something else and traveling the North American continent with my partner. There is a lot to learn, and I'm eager to get started.
Lynn
If you want to know how the site works see: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...=vb3_board_faq
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #5

Name: G. Lynn
Trailer: Currently shopping
Tennessee
Hello Sue,
I keep looking for an InBox, but apparently there isn't one. I inquired about purchasing a camper from the classifieds, but no reply from the seller in two or more days. Wonder if I have even done it correctly. Hope all is well with you. What are you camping in, or want to camp in?
G. Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:33 AM   #6

Name: Mark
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Hi I am Mark in Comox

Hello everyone, just bought a beautifully restored 1973 Trillium 1300 and will be looking for care and feeding advice from experienced owners as well as tips and tricks for making our new home away from home the best it can be! Thanks!
Mark in Comox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #7

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Check out the link gordon posted.

You do have a "homepage" here on the forum, and it contains all your posts and threads you've started (statistics), and you can upload photos.

In the upper right corner, you should see your username, and under that, "private messages".

Is this your first time on a forum? Once you've learned one forum, you can learn any pretty easily. But the first time will take some getting used to.

There's is some limit on new users being able to send and receive private messages (PM's) until they have a certain number of posts. You also need to realize that there are regular members, and very un-regular members. Even regular members are people just like you and me. They may or may not have a good grasp on technology, and they may or may not have a LOT going on in their lives outside of this site.

Don't be surprised if you PM someone and it takes a week for them to get back, or they never get back. It happens. If someone sends you a PM, you'll get an email in your personal email notifying you. You'll also have a window pop up the next time you log into this site, letting you know you have a new message.

Otherwise just read and post, and you'll start to get the hang of it.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:01 AM   #8

Name: Mark
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Thanks for the quick reply! I will post my pics to the home page and start browsing forums...this site will take some time to master....��
Mark in Comox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:16 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Lynn View Post
Hello Sue,
I keep looking for an InBox, but apparently there isn't one. I inquired about purchasing a camper from the classifieds, but no reply from the seller in two or more days. Wonder if I have even done it correctly. Hope all is well with you. What are you camping in, or want to camp in?
There are two message systems, one for the forums and a separate one on the classified page.

In the forums, you can navigate to your inbox by clicking on the "Private Messages" link just under your user name in the upper right corner.

On the classified page, you may have to log in (same e-mail and password as here), then click on your user name in the upper right corner and look for the option that says "Direct Messages."

It can be confusing because when an ad is listed on the classifieds page, a duplicate thread is generated in the forums. If you're actively searching, best to go straight to the classifieds (click the tab at the top), log in, and do your searching and messaging from there.

Sometimes sellers don't respond because the trailer is already sold and they've forgotten about the ad, or because you're the hundredth person to respond and they're busy dealing with the early callers. Do check dates on ads, and if they've been up more than a week, they're probably gone. Never hurts to send a message, but if you don't get a response, move on. Unfortunately, demand for fiberglass trailers far exceeds supply, and the good ones go fast.

Best wishes in your search!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote