new member, new owner of old !3' scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-24-2017, 07:32 AM   #1

Name: Margaret
Trailer: Vintage 13' scamp
Michigan
new member, new owner of old !3' scamp

what a wonderful place to gain insight, experience on fiberglass trailers, all aspects. Thank you, My old new scamp needs repairs and modifications. It was simplified and i believe well repaired so far. It has fiber skin (maybe mold underneath) on the interior walls and a funny smell. I would like to learn about removing this material and painting the interior. Can anyone offer any threads or advise?
M in Mi
M in mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:46 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Margaret! Congratulations on the "new" Scamp!

Regarding the walls... Some more information would be helpful, like the model year. Early units, through the mid-80's, used Ensolite on the walls, closed cell foam with a bonded vinyl surface, sometimes referred to by its nickname, "elephant hide." Since the mid-80's they have used marine headliner over foil bubble wrap. The headliner is a fuzzy, carpet-like material nick-named "rat fur" hereabouts. Designed for marine applications, it does not absorb moisture or odors and resists mildew and mold. (There may have been a brief transition in which they used some other lining material.)

The lining serves a number of important functions: controlling light and sound, preventing condensation in colder weather, and adding some insulation. Bare painted fiberglass gives up most of those benefits. Both Ensolite and headliner are very sturdy and cleanable. Personally, I would do everything I could to save it first before ripping it out.

Tell us, or better yet, show us what you have and you'll get advice on how best to attempt a rescue operation.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:36 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
welcome

welcome Margaret yes great info here great generous folks also. I wouldn't consider messing around with your ratfur or naughahyde at this point. No doubt a touch of mildew somewhere could be in your floor even.

I bought an ionizer off amazon I use it in my musty basement and have put it in the 13f scamper for a bit!

by the way a 13f scamper looks sort of ridiculous!!

best of luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Margaret , welcome! If you have the ensolite vinyl interior, several washes with a soft sponge and half n half vinegar and water should remove any smells clinging. BUT... Smells cling to all porous surfaces so you might want to wash all surfaces, including inside cubbies and bins! Our baby Scamp smelled terrible from smokers and it took 4 thorough washes to remove. We also used an industrial ‘odor removal’ canister. Don’t forget the fridge!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #5

Michigan
Ratfur covering in my ne old scamp

Thank you for good advise. I had a hard time finding my way back to my own thread. Learning curve.
I have a 1983 13 ‘ scamp. It has a carpet like wall covering with a foil underlayment. I could learn to live with it but don’t like it much.
There is a smell, i’ll try an ionizer and look for hidden mold. I get the impression the smell may be a chemical cleaner maybe that was used to clean the fabric like covering.
I’ have much to learn, the scamp was stripped of it’s kitchen and heater, i’d like to do a pantry like floor to ceiling built in that has a fold down work surface instead of the traditional kitchenette.
I trust folks are open to these kinds of ideas and may have thread or forums to recommend.
I’ll have to learn how to use a rivet tool. I want to learn all about how these trailers were built so i can repair etc.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:33 PM   #6

Name: Judy
Trailer: scamp
Minnesota
check out removing a roof vent from a 75 scamp - lots of riveting info
JudyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #7

Michigan
Thank you, i’ll try to figure out how to do a search.

Tags
scamp