New member,new toy ! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16' 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door
Lancaster County Pa
Registry
New member,new toy !

Hi, I am a new member.My name is Jeff and I joined yesterday.My wife and I bought our first trailer in May.It is a Scamp 16'.We drove to Baccus to pick it up and I'm glad I did.I am finding that it was not built very well.Little things that should be done better or at least with a little pride were not.It is some what troubling but I will fix it as I need to.For the most part I do like my new toy very much !!
jgraps1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Jeff.
Congratulations on your new egg.

We all hate those "bugs" but with FG I think it's less
serious than a stickie might be.

Be sure and post up some pics for us to drool over..............
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Jeff to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

There's lots of kind and helpful people here on the forum. AND, we're here to offer advice and motivation! If you run into a problem, just ask... we'll come running
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #4

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Minnesota
Hey Jeff,
Welcome to FGR! There are tons of helpful folks here, and while I am not generally someone with the great advice, I just thought I'd remind you to take solace in the resale value of your new toy. Unlike cars, scamps and other eggs seem to really hold their value. Also, despite the unfortunate shortcomings that might occur out of the factory, they seem to be well built- my 1987 scamp is in great condition for all the love and attention it has recieved.
DrewSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #5

Lancaster County Pa
Registry
Thanks to all for your offers to help,I may need it some day.As I said I do like my trailer very much but after the first time I hooked and un-hooked the camper I noticed small chips around the hitch that soon started to rust.The rear bumper was painted so badly there are runs in the paint.About three rivets in the roof,so far,have come loose and leak.There are more issues,mostly small but that goes to lack of quality and not very good workmanship.I was in a hands on trade for 30 years, I think I still remember what quality craftsmanship is about.I will do whatever repairs I need to do but on a new trailer I didn't expect to see what I am finding.As far as the resale goes I don't think I will be testing the trailer market any time soon.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Welcome to the forum. It is unfortunate that your new fiberglass RV came with flaws. I would suggest contacting Scamp directly and seeing what they will do to correct those items. Unless they get feedback such as yours, they will have no way of knowing their is an issue. I am sure that once you get these initial few bugs resolved, you will be able to enjoy many years of trouble free camping in your new Scamp.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Jeff. I agree with Dave. Have you contacted Scamp.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #8

Lancaster County Pa
Registry
Yes Dave I will enjoy my new camper,hopefully for a very long time.Speaking to other campers I have heard that a lot of people will not but a new camper for these reasons.They prefer to buy a used camper that all the bugs have been worked out.I will deal with these mostly small issues myself. No Ted I have not contacted Scamp to complain or for any other reason since I left their factory back in May.When I found my roof was leaking I was in Texas visiting family,and fellow campers.My Uncle is very knowledgeable about campers.He was able to help me a lot.This is not going to stop me from a life long dream of seeing this country,and Canada,from a camper.Thanks for your feedback and concern.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Me thinks that you should let Scamp know about the problems you encountered.

When they aren't told of problems they will just go on building them the same way, an issue oft covered hereabouts.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's an old adage, you can't fix what you don't know is broken. I think a letter or call to Scamp is in order. If for NO other reason than to help future Scamp owners. Give Scamp a chance to fix things... right now, they don't know they're broken!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #11

Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Florida
Jeff, like every one else has said, Welcome to the site. I'm sure you will find it as helpful as I have. Good luck with your rig and i agree, call Scamp and let them know.
Mike Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #12

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Ditto everyone else. Contact the Scamp people. I have found them to be honest, hard-working and eager to please. Give them a chance to remedy your Scamp issues. I LOVE my, new in 2011, 13' Scamp!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #13

Lancaster County Pa
Registry
OK one and all, I took your advice and sent Scamp an E-mail detailing all my problems. Within ten minutes I received a response. It said they are sorry I am having problems with my new trailer and they forwarded my complaint to Customer Service Dept. We'll see what happens next.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #14

NE Oklahoma
Congrats Jeff.
You just got a miracle in your life.
Scamp answered your e-mail.................LOL
Old 08-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #15

Lancaster County Pa
Registry
Ok here's the up date. Five days later I heard nothing ! I decided to post my disappointment on Scamp's Face Book page.Within 3 maybe 4 minutes I got a response.They asked for my phone # so I sent it to them.Again 3-4 minutes later Mike from customer service calls. He was very nice and let me rant. When I was finished we came to an acceptable agreement. He is willing to send replacement parts and was asking if I paid any one to make these repairs. I told him no I did the work myself. He asked my t-shirt size so my wife and I have new tee shirts coming as well. He also said he will pass on the issue of poor workmanship and laziness to the shop and they will try to correct this problem. Thanks Mike @ Scamp!!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #16

NE Oklahoma
That's great Jeff.................
Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #17

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Minnesota
Good job getting in touch with scamp, I hope they take care of the issues your scamp is having.

Somebody from scamp gets onto Facebook at least once a week to post pictures of the new scamps purchased for me to drool over...
DrewSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #18

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Per Post #15
Here we go again: quote....He also said he will pass on the issue of poor workmanship and laziness to the shop and they will try to correct this problem.

I'd hope for a more positive statement, like "We will fix that problem immediately"

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #19

Lancaster County Pa
Registry
Hey Bob, If they said "they would fix the problem immediately", we both know that would be lie.Mike is in customer service not sales.At least we will try.... is more believable.

Drew, I know what you mean, I still love to look at all the new campers they post.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #20

Lancaster County Pa
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraps1958 View Post
Ok here's the up date. Five days later I heard nothing ! I decided to post my disappointment on Scamp's Face Book page.Within 3 maybe 4 minutes I got a response.They asked for my phone # so I sent it to them.Again 3-4 minutes later Mike from customer service calls. He was very nice and let me rant. When I was finished we came to an acceptable agreement. He is willing to send replacement parts and was asking if I paid any one to make these repairs. I told him no I did the work myself. He asked my t-shirt size so my wife and I have new tee shirts coming as well. He also said he will pass on the issue of poor workmanship and laziness to the shop and they will try to correct this problem. Thanks Mike @ Scamp!!

Still waiting, no shirts in the mail yet !!