New member - Old Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #1

Name: Jen
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Registry
New member - Old Scamp

I have the Scamp that my grandfather assembled to take to the 1974 World's Fair. I am starting to take things apart and have a few questions.
1. I have the plastic interior with the taping. The interior is okay and I can re-tape it but has anyone had success painting it?
2. Do you really need the supports at the side that hold up the upper cupboards?
3. What is the biggest mistake made when trying to remodel a fiberglass trailer?
JenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Jen, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here

Way cool, you own a Scamp with some terrific family history. I'm sure you'll make a ton more memories with it.

Yes, folks have painted the ensolite. Is there something wrong with the insulation in your Scamp? Usually folks paint, because it's torn and they've had to patch it... then the color doesn't match. If yours is in good condition, a good cleaning may all it needs.

Yes, supporting the roof is always a good thing. If you don't like the look of the supports, we have suggestions. What's the look you're going for?

The biggest mistake? I'd have to say, folks jump in with both feet when the trailer doesn't need anything but a good cleanup. They spend money and time and effort, BUT don't use it. It's not about being perfect, just perfect for you.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome Jen and I envy the history that has come with your Scamp. I would break down the work that needs to be done by making a list. You have to be careful not to let any project end up overwhelming you or you might start to not be so happy with the project. I have seen a lot of unfinished projects because the people burn out. If you really enjoy camping, try to do a minimum at a time so that you can actually enjoy the trailer.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
IMHO - Number one priority is to make it safe. New tires, pack wheel bearings, check hitch and frame integrity, running lights working properly. Number two is make it dry inside and repair any water / structural damage. Number 3 is functionality - electrical, gas and water systems working properly.

Last - appearance, aesthetics, and convenience.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1978
Yes on the paint

I removed the tape on mine, used silicone to fill the gaps, smoothed everything out, cleaned the walls and painted. With the paint it is easy to wipe down, no moisture, and looks great.

I dislike the tape intensely, discolors and looks shabby.......I painted mine two years ago and never had an issue.

Good luck on the restoration.
Jackie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #6

Ohio
Registry
Well I decided to caulk and paint and it looks great. I want to get the next coat on the fiberglass and then I'll have photos.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #7

Name: Kirk
Trailer: Casita 17" SD
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenT View Post
Well I decided to caulk and paint and it looks great. I want to get the next coat on the fiberglass and then I'll have photos.
Would love to see the pics.
jkm127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It sounds like you are already painting the outside. If not, two topics to check out are:
1. Using ZEP wet look wax. It works miracles on old fiberglass and is 1853 times easier than painting.
2. If you gotta paint there is a lot of info on Google about the "Roll and Tip" technique for a smooth looking finish. And there are the neverending discussions between using Interlux Brightside Marine paint (the good stuff) that's $$$$$, vs. Everything else, but mostly Rustoleum Marine Paint., about $$ (easiest to buy on Amazon.com)

The "Bigest Mistake" I see is that owners get a project trailer all torn apart and don't have the skills, $$$ or interest to put it back together again. As a result, empty shell projects trailers are not uncommon in the for sale ads.

And... if you remove those supports between the counter and the upper cabinets you should expect to start seeing the upper cabinets getting closer to the counters after a few trips. In short, ya need em'.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #9

Ohio
Registry
Thanks for the advice. I have painted the ensolite and the fiberglass on the inside. The outside will be a project for another year. I come from a family of sailors so I did roll and tip my 'sailboat with wheels'. I didn't go for the $$$ paint (though we have used it with great success on a few hull projects) but did use Penetrol in the paint and it looks good. I would strongly recommend the Penetrol, I forgot it on one batch and could tell the difference.

The trailer was painted once before so I don't think I can restore the outside but if I save up maybe I can convince my husband to spray it next year...

As far as the supports, I am going to have to find something new to use because I have put a varnished wooden counter on top of the fiberglass one and the old support will be too long now. I am using brushed nickel hardware so I am thinking something in the bath department...
Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenT View Post
.... I have put a varnished wooden counter on top of the fiberglass one and the old support will be too long now. I am using brushed nickel hardware so I am thinking something in the bath department...
I bet whatever you come up with will be totally cool! and you will post pictures, won't you
Old 05-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #11

Ohio
Registry
I will try to take pictures tomorrow. I can't believe how much it has improved in the month I have been working on it!
Old 05-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #12

Ohio
Registry
Okay, here are some pictures. I have to add a little more caulk to a couple seams on the ensolite but I am happy with the results. I have to put the new curtain hangers in and the counter still needs the holes cut out to put the new stainless sink and the old (repainted) cook top in. I can't wait to get some more done soon.

I think with everyone's help here I know what to order to get the windows going again. And I still have to figure out what to support the upper cupboard with but I'll figure it out.

The doors and drawer fronts are matching light plywood like the counter and have yellow paint to hide the plys. I hope to put them in soon.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1686.jpg   IMG_1687.jpg  

IMG_1688.jpg   IMG_1689.jpg  

IMG_1691.jpg   IMG_1692.jpg  

IMG_1693.jpg  
Old 05-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #13

Cool pictures!! Jen, if you need rebuild info about the tilt out windows, see this great thread with part numbers, etc.: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-42049.html
Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #14

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
That looks great! I love the bench fabric. Please post a shot when you have the curtains up.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #15

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Love the counter! Can you walk me through how you did it?
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #16

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
A couple of links to previous threads on this topic.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ded-50454.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...and-35800.html
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Baluster

Believe me, manufacturers don't put something in a trailer unless it is needed.

What you are looking for is the upright part of a stair assembly, called a baluster. I just happened to see some at Home Depot yesterday while looking at something else.

Search Results for*Baluster*at The Home Depot

There does seem to be a large and interesting selection.

Naturally, you are free to go to another store, Lowe's etc. YMMV

Good luck.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #18

Ohio
Registry
I hadn't thought of the closet department as a potential source of a support. That would be a good place to start. I might use wood if I can't find anything else. I want a retro sort of look but I am using brushed nickel hardware.

As far as the counter top, it was pretty straightforward. We used a "blonde wood" plywood from Lowes for about $30. There was enough to do all the doors and the counter. We bought a 4 foot piece of light colored poplar 1x4 and ripped it to 2x1 inches. We cut a 45 on the edges and glued and clamped them on the plywood. Unfortunately the counter is wider at the back so we had to route out (we actually used the table saw) the 2x1 on the back to accommodate the greater width of the fiberglass at the back of the counter. I am getting excited to put the sink and the repainted cook top in and see how it all looks!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #19

Name: Stacy
Trailer: "79 Scamp "Tiny Tow"
Texas
Would you please share the paint job info on the fiberglass? It looks great. I have some dents in mine so was going to try to use Bondo, then paint. Thanks!
StacyJayT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #20

Ohio
Registry
Getting Closer

Well we got some of the doors hung and we are starting to see what it will look like. I have to do some work on the drawers so they aren't done yet but this gives an idea. I am hoping to put the floor in tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp remodel 4 - 2.jpg   Scamp remodel 4 - 3.jpg  

Scamp remodel 4 - 4.jpg   Scamp remodel 4 - 5.jpg  

Scamp remodel 4 - 6.jpg   Scamp remodel 4 - 7.jpg  

Scamp remodel 4 - 8.jpg  

Tags
scamp