New member, with a question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 06:03 AM   #1

Name: Carter
Trailer: Eco
Kansas
New member, with a question

Hi. I’ve apparently just bought a FGRV. They say it’s a 71 Scamp, but the recessed taillights make me think it’s a Boler. But they are not in separate buckets like a Boler appears to be. There’s a plate on the tongue with the serial number 1415. Given the location (Kansas) I kind of wonder if it could be Boler American.

So here are my questions, probably the first of many:

1. How can I determine exactly what it is
2. Kansas doesn’t require titling or tagging lightweight trailers. How does that work when you cross state lines?
Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:11 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to the forum Carter, you'll get some answers soon but it would be better if you would post some pictures of your trailer for a better ID on the make.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:35 AM   #3

Kansas
Yeah, I just have to get them off my phone. Here’s one showing the tail lights
Attached Thumbnails
2A31F20C-24CD-43D2-8C70-04CE1A1490D4.jpeg  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:42 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
2. Kansas doesn’t require titling or tagging lightweight trailers. How does that work when you cross state lines?
States accept the registration and titling requirements of the state where the trailer is owned when the trailer is only traveling through the visiting state.

That being said, I see the Kansas exemption is for trailer weighing under 2,000 lbs including the load. So to help avoid any problems when traveling through other states you might want to keep a copy of a recent weigh ticket from a certified scale, and the info from the Kansas DMV website. While you would not be required to carry those things it might make your life easier should a police officer in another state need a little education.

And if you plan to sell it, a title will help. Being in a state that does require a title, I would be much less inclined to buy a trailer without one.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New member, with a question

Gordon is correct. As long as you’re in compliance with laws in your state of domicile (based on your driver’s license), other states will recognize it. I also agree, though, that to avoid unnecessary questions and delays, it would be good to title and register it if possible. The GVWR might be over 2000# (my Scamp is 2200#), which could be reason to justify issuing documents.

There are other reasons for full documentation, including- as Gordon says- a future sale, along with theft recovery and international travel. Might be worth the time and expense to pursue. The process will probably include being issued a proper VIN, which is a good thing.

It does appear to be a Boler, some of which as you say were manufactured in the US under the Boler American label. To my knowledge no Scamp was ever built with recessed taillights or the distinctive curved bumper.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Another brown one! Or is that brown?
(We bought brown with gold flecks but after repairs painted it white with Rustoleum Marine primer and enamel and a hot-dog roller.)

"K"
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 038.JPG   Peanut 8 2016 C.jpg  

Old 07-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #7

Kansas
It's actually a maroon/burgundy, just filthy from sitting under a tree.

How do you like your roller paint job? I've been pondering the same.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Baxter: hi, maroon/burgundy. Colors don't come across on the computer the way they do in person.

We like our roller paint job fine...Paul tried rolling and tipping with a brush but after some failure at that settled on just rolling it very intently. You have to break the tiny bubbles in the paint surface, and keep each coat thin. He sanded thoroughly after patching over 82 holes (largest was about 2 x 3 feet, tons of cracks and tiny holes)...if you watch some boat painting videos on YouTube and read some threads on FGRV you can get a lot of good information. There are better brands of Marine paint than Rustoleum, BrightSide or Briteside comes to mind, but it was available locally and I wasn't up for spending more; this was pricey enough for us.

Saved a lot doing it ourselves, though, and since we did, we know we can fix any scrapes and dings later.

You can mix colors. We used white primer (of course) and just the plain white paint, but I keep thinking it would be fun to paint the lower half a different color.

We bought those smallish, foam closed-tip hot dog rollers. You can wrap them in a baggie, still on the handle, to keep them wet overnight. We did that...we didn't even try to clean them. Just used a new roller when needed.

It's a lot of hand work, to paint a trailer, and of course we removed all windows and trim and lights etc., before even starting.

At first I liked the brown paint with gold flecks...but the brown paint became compromised by patching. No way for us to match it on our own. And the trailer would heat up in the sun like an oven. White is more reflective.

Paul used a slightly coarser sandpaper for a first sand after making all the repairs with epoxy fiberglass and both cloth and matte for strength. He used quite fine sandpaper as he applied two primer coats and two finish coats. Nice and smooth and covered all the brown.

The largest hole was patched with a piece of fiberglass from an old prison van bathroom we got free on Craigslist. Lots of fairing with "Bondo hair" a fiberglass product that acts like Bondo on metal car work.

Show us pics if you can, if you change things...

You have a nice trailer. We're interested in whatever you decide to do with it.

BEST
"K"
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 016.JPG   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 040.JPG  

Old 07-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
One thing is certain, it was not a Scamp when it was new.
If you have a title which says Scamp... well...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:05 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I don't think Scamp was even in existance in 1971 ...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Hi. I’ve apparently just bought a FGRV. They say it’s a 71 Scamp, but the recessed taillights make me think it’s a Boler. But they are not in separate buckets like a Boler appears to be. There’s a plate on the tongue with the serial number 1415. Given the location (Kansas) I kind of wonder if it could be Boler American.

So here are my questions, probably the first of many:

1. How can I determine exactly what it is
Unfortunately this is an incorrect assumption that a lot of people make. States that don't require licensing of lightweight trailers are NOT including RV's only lightweight utility type trailers. I see this mentioned over and over on various forums and whenever I check with the particular states DMV it reads something like this from the Kansas DMV webpage:

"Kansas law requires trailers to be titled and registered. There are three exceptions to the trailer titling/registration requirement.

The 3 exceptions are:

Farm trailers hauling 6,000 lbs. or less are exempt from title and registration. Hauling weight means the weight of any load transported by the farm trailer and does not include the weight of the trailer itself.

Farm trailers used and designed for transporting hay or forage from a field to a storage area or from a storage area to a feedlot, which is only incidentally moved or operated upon the highways, except this exception does not apply to farm semitrailers.

Non Recreational Vehicle trailers with an operating weight of 2000 lbs or less may be titled and registered at the owners option, they are not required to be titled and registered. Operating weight means the total weight of the trailer and any load transported thereon. A trailer meeting the 2,000 lbs. exemption may be sold on a bill of sale."
Old 07-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Good catch, Steve. The exemption does not apply to recreational vehicles regardless of weight. The OP has some work ahead because the seller should have had a title.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #13

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Identity

It is a Boler for sure!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Good catch, Steve. The exemption does not apply to recreational vehicles regardless of weight. The OP has some work ahead because the seller should have had a title.
If you look closely enough I think you will find that NO state will exempt RV trailers from licensing requirements.

Being that old of a trailer it shouldn't be overly difficult to secure a title even if you have to settle for a bonded title. It's not a big worry just do what they say and you'll be better off in the long run.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Unfortunately this is an incorrect assumption that a lot of people make. States that don't require licensing of lightweight trailers are NOT including RV's only lightweight utility type trailers. I see this mentioned over and over on various forums and whenever I check with the particular states DMV it reads something like this from the Kansas DMV webpage: ...
Non Recreational Vehicle trailers with an operating weight of 2000 lbs or less may be titled and registered at the owners option, they are not required to be titled and registered. Operating weight means the total weight of the trailer and any load transported thereon. A trailer meeting the 2,000 lbs. exemption may be sold on a bill of sale."
Interesting and OP does need to confirm it, because another official Kansas web site says this (bolding is mine):

Kansas law requires trailers to be titled and registered. There are three exceptions to the trailer titling/registration requirement. The three exceptions are:

Farm trailers hauling 6,000 pounds or less of agricultural product are exempt from title and registration. The weight of the trailer itself is not figured as part of the 6,000 pounds.

Farm trailers used and designed for transporting hay or forage from a field to a storage area or from a storage area to a feedlot, which is only incidentally moved or operated upon the highways, except this exception does not apply to farm semitrailers; and

Trailer with an operating weight of 2,000 pounds or less may be titled and registered at the owner’s option, they are not required to be titled and registered. Operating weight means the total weight of the trailer and any load transported thereon. A trailer meeting the 2,000 pounds exemption may be sold on a bill of sale.

There is no mention of "Non Recreational Vehicle trailers."

I suspect the first quote is correct but it should be confirmed and if the second web site is the one with the wrong info someone should tell them to correct the error.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #16

Kansas
Per the very friendly human I spoke with at the KDOR office, it's exempt, but I can take my bill of sale in and get it titled anyway.

It's currently tagged with a special KS plate denoting it is under 2k.

So if it's not exempt, Kansas itself never got the memo. Nevertheless, I intend to get it titled if I possibly can. It'll just be better.

in other new, I completed the deal and brought it home today. It JUST fit into garage and the work is beginning. It's absolutely filthy, and right now the to-do list is a bit overwhelming.

AND... given that it's missing badges, is there any way to determine if it's Boler America or if it's Canadian?
Old 07-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Before you do anything, read up.
Use the Search Site / Google function. Too many people's first post is "I have gutted my trailer"... and then it's too late.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 12.48.49 PM.png  
Old 07-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #18

Kansas
Thanks Glenn. I've been reading up a lot. My intent is to NOT gut it. The ensolite appears pretty serviceable, and the FG cabinetry hasn't been abused too badly.

I'll start a separate build thread, but my intent this weekend is to just get all the PO's junk out, strip the carpet, give it a hard cleaning top to bottom with TSP, and hopefully, get a coat of paint up. At that point, I think maybe my wife might step foot in it :-)

And then I need to figure out what to do about the exterior paint. Ideally, I'd like to strip it back to the original white, so it looks half decent while I take care of fiberglass and gelcoat repairs, then eventually get a proper paint job on it.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:58 PM   #19

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Unfortunately this is an incorrect assumption that a lot of people make. States that don't require licensing of lightweight trailers are NOT including RV's only lightweight utility type trailers. I see this mentioned over and over on various forums and whenever I check with the particular states DMV it reads something like this from the Kansas DMV webpage:
Great point! I think I have been part of the problem. I had two trailers in SC, both cargo trailers, neither had a title or license plate. I now live in NC and these trailers now have titles and plates.

But they were NOT RV camper trailers. It sure looks like SC does require title and registration on RV camper trailers.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Great point! I think I have been part of the problem. I had two trailers in SC, both cargo trailers, neither had a title or license plate. I now live in NC and these trailers now have titles and plates.

But they were NOT RV camper trailers. It sure looks like SC does require title and registration on RV camper trailers.
LOL, I'm not trying to be the license police. It's just that every time I see someone mention a state that doesn't require an RV trailer to be licensed and registered I generally look it up. I have no doubt that many unknowing overworked DMV agents allow these trailers to slip through and I'm sure many owners are just as happy to have them overlooked.