New offroader - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2021, 06:51 AM   #1

Name: Corey
Trailer: In the market
Texas
New offroader

Howdy!
Been browsing for a bit but I figured I'd finally ask for some opinions. Im going to be buing a trailer for "full time" living. I work on ships roughly 10 months of the year but in my time off I want to be able to travel freely and go wherever my whim takes me therefore I will be buying a travel trailer. Ive found it difficult to find trailers that offer exactly what im looking for but I have found some that may be good enough but I'd like to know what others think. So far my search has brought me to 3 different options, an airstream caravel( not fiberglass i know but I do like it), a casita, and an Oliver. So far I've only had a chance to see the caravel and casita in person and while do like the layout and features of a casita I felt that the build quality and materials used just weren't up to what I would want for something that I would essentially be living in full time when I'm not working. My tow vehicle will be a 2018 f150 with the 5.0 and fx4 so ideally id like to keep the total weight to roughly a 3rd to half of my actual towing capacity so that im not straining it too much. I have had the chance to look at a caravel 19cb and I loved the quality and features that it had but obviously price is something to take into consideration. Thats where the Oliver has come into the mix though I haven't had the opportunity to actually see one in person. Im 6'2" so while I was able to stand upright in the casita my head was brushing the ceiling anywhere there wasn't protrusions from the Ac etc and that would be a big issue for me if im going to be living in it regularly. I want to be able to take it on what I would consider minor offroad situations such as BLM lands, forrest roads and such though primarily it will be national parks and the like. I would like to get yalls opinions of the matter whether or not there's a better option that I've missed or if I need to be thinking about this completely differently. I feel I should add that I'm no stranger to primitive camping and living in smaller quarters is not to different than my life onboard ships so I dont see that as being an issue as long as the head height is adequate.
CoastalAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:04 AM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
You might not be happy towing an Oliver with a 1/2 ton. You could check the Oliver forum for advice on that. Escape is another popular FGRV.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:43 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If you want quality, forget Airstream. Google Airstream complaints and you will find a ton of them. IMHO, an Airstream is a classic looking trailer with the same issues as many of the high volume RV builders.

Oliver is basically a larger Casita, same basic floorplan. Built to a higher standard and priced accordingly. I assume you are talking the Elite II Oliver. Elite II is pushing 3/4 ton pickup territory. The Elite no problem with an F150.

Personally, I do not like the Oliver/Casita floorplan, in particular, the front bath. Having a front bath eliminates windows across the front. Yes, you can get a Casita without a front bath but. that means no bath at all. And I like a larger dinette too, not a small narrow one. Realize the dinette becomes your office/computer space, along with eating space. Fills up fast. This is what got me to the Escape 19.

Full timing a four season trailer makes a lot of sense, which is really either Bigfoot or Oliver. Of course, I've seen couples full timing in a Trillium 1300, so anything is possible.

This is just a sample on Airstream quality. The Airstream forum is FULL of complaints. And take a look at the Airstream factory and the SIZE of the warranty claim shop (huge). They built it for a reason....

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...am-166041.html
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:48 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Are you looking at the smaller or larger Oliver? I assumed the smaller since you are comparing it to a Casita. One of the original designers, John Oliver, towed his Elite with a Nissan Frontier, so you should be fine. I chanced to meet him a number of years ago getting groceries during a solo hunting trip. Sweet rig! Very humble guy.

You might add Bigfoot to your list. Their smallest 17.5’ model is a bit roomier that the Casita or smaller Oliver. It’s set up for four season use (like the Oliver but not Casita or Airstream). Very high build quality in a more traditional style. Downside is it’s a bit harder tow due to the added width and boxy shape, but still comfortably within your capabilities. I think you’d be okay on the interior height. Leaf-spring axle set-up is easily modified for additional off-road clearance if desired.

Escape also makes a nice trailer in that size range. Its lightweight frame, like the Casita, is good for light off-highway use only. Price-wise it slots between Casita and Oliver/Bigfoot/Airstream.

I’m with Bill on Airstream, and I really don’t see them as a good off road choice. If I really wanted one, I’d look for an older one that’s been redone.

Oliver is arguably the best on your list for off-road use due to the narrow width, strong aluminum frame, and good stock clearance. The all-fiberglass interior is a love-it-or-hate-it deal. Some find it clean and modern, others cold and sterile. Not sure about the height, but I don’t trust published specs. As you say, the size and placement of projections can make the difference.

Best wishes in your search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:34 PM   #5

Name: Phil
Trailer: Escape
Minnesota
As a couple, my wife and I have done tent camping, both class B and class A motoring, and full-size fifth wheel towing with a half-ton GMC before settling on an Escape fifth wheel, the 5.0TA, towed with a 1/2 ton GMC 3L turbo-diesel. If you contact Escape Trailer Industries they can put you in touch with an Escape owner in your area. Nice to see both bumper-pull and 5th wheel before deciding. The quality of Escape products is unsurpassed. Best of luck in your search and keep us posted!
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote