New old scamp owners - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #21

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...I used a tube of 3M Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive. Blow dry the gap between the ends of the gasket rubbers if not more than 1/8" wide...squeeze the black stuff out of the tube to fill the gap and let it dry to set up. If putting on new gaskets this is the stuff the auto makers use to bond the ends together for a complete gasket. I bought it along with other stuff from Vintage trailer supply...I think!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #22

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Too FUNNY, Greg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Can't you tell, It's a racing egg it has numbers on it. lol
I thought I WAS THE RACING EGG, as I go 70mph down the freeway...

BB
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Registry
About the leaking windows, I took mine to an aluminum window guy. He works on houses but was a good source for suggestions and help on sealing my windows. My '76 looks good but yours looks new! Very nice.
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #24

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
About the leaking windows, I took mine to an aluminum window guy. He works on houses but was a good source for suggestions and help on sealing my windows. My '76 looks good but yours looks new! Very nice.
So Mike exactly how did you fix your windows? I know what everyone is saying on here about fixing it right but that's probably not going to be possible for our May long weekend. The previous owners have used silicone or something along the bottom edge of the windows (outside front and back) but it looks like it is pretty old. Just don't want any major leaks until I can fix it properly. Also have a rivet or two on the top that leak very slightly. I got up on a ladder and can see paint cracks around the rivet. Some of the rivets were siliconed before it was painted so...same thing I was thinking of just putting a small dap of silicone or something on those as well until I can get to it properly.

Brian
Brian in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #25

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
OMG! I LOVE the Coke theme! Are you going to offer all the parapheralia up here for grabs???? Is the closet door just painted wood? WOW! Can we make sure these pix get added maybe under the "show us your rigs" forum so we have them forever before it's all removed?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Registry
Silicone etc.

I took out the moveable pane of the windows and took them to at guy that does good work on aluminum windows in houses and had him rebuild them with new sealer parts.
My windows were missing the link levers that prop open and close the windows so I worked with a machine shop and had new ones made. I used regular thin weatherstripping around the fixed frame of that swinging window. Just today I towed the trailer in a heavy rain and the front one leaked a little. I can see the leak and will likely use some silicone there.

As for the body and rivets ... I live in Oregon where it rains about 200 days or more a year. Last fall, early, I put a dab of silicone on all the loose rivets, around the windows, along the tops of the drip guard above the door and along the strip that holds the awning, and around the driver-side vent and intake covers and electrical outlets. The trailer stayed perfectly dry all winter ... and it rained a LOT this past winter.

I got a rivet gun and a selection of rivets and I've been drilling out and replacing loose rivets one or two at a time. But I still put a dab of silicone on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Ontario View Post
So Mike exactly how did you fix your windows? I know what everyone is saying on here about fixing it right but that's probably not going to be possible for our May long weekend. The previous owners have used silicone or something along the bottom edge of the windows (outside front and back) but it looks like it is pretty old. Just don't want any major leaks until I can fix it properly. Also have a rivet or two on the top that leak very slightly. I got up on a ladder and can see paint cracks around the rivet. Some of the rivets were siliconed before it was painted so...same thing I was thinking of just putting a small dap of silicone or something on those as well until I can get to it properly.

Brian
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:44 PM   #27

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Michigan
I don't know if you are still around, but I just recently picked up a 1976 Scamp. Even though I have had a few joy robbers along the trip home, I couldn't be happier!
boats19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you Gary
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp