New Old Trillium 4500 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #1

Name: Ian
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
New Old Trillium 4500

Hi, everyone...I was a member on this site a decade or so back, when my wife and I owned a 13' Boler. We sold it, and moved up to a Bigfoot (21') but I did not like towing it, so we just bought a 1977 Trillium 4500.

The frame and body seem to be in very good shape, but the furnace and stove were not used by the previous owner, and the fridge door seems to be hanging by one hinge. I'm not worried about those things, particularly...but I do have two questions.

1. What are the important things to have checked before I take the trailer on the highway?
2. The trailer does not have brakes. That shouldn't be a problem with my Tacoma (trailer package), but would it be worthwhile upgrading the axle so that I do have brakes?

I'll probably have a lot more questions when I begin to explore Ms. Trillium. In the meantime, thank you very much for your interest and assistance.
Ian Hepher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Ian, There are five items to check on all Trilliums:
1) The axle. If it is the original, then it's on the order of 40 years old. They age. After several years the rubber gets very hard and the axle no longer has any travel, or the rubber disintegrates and the axle sags. Get a new one, with brakes.
2) The door. The quick and dirty fix for door sag is to pull the door off, but leave the hinges attached to the door. Fill the screw holes with resin, and glass, tape the door back in place and use the holes on the hinges to drill new mounting holes. This is at best a temporary fix. This thread shows the best fix I have yet seen:
Trillium sagging door repair
3) The belly band. Due to how the top and bottom half of Trillium trailer are joined, they eventually leak, and the belly band falls off. This is a complex repair:
My First Belly Band Thread
My Second Belly Band Thread
4) The frame bolts. These hold the cab to the frame. They always rust out. Some disintegrate completely.
5) The windows. The butyl tape gets old and the seal is compromised. You pull the windows and install new butyl tape. This is actually kind of easy, unless you also have to replace the plywood frames on the inside:
My first Trillium window thread.

BTW: Are you near Calgary? If so, stop by. I will talk your ear off about Trilliums.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #3

Name: Ian
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Hi, David...I have been checking the Registry. I see that I am shown as the owner of a 21' Bigfoot, but that is long gone, to owners unknown, so I'd like to remove that.

Can you please tell me how to find my current Trillium 4500 in the registry? I've tried all the fields, and the site just tells me that I'm not recognized, and to try again. I'd like to find out about its history. Thanks...Ian Hepher
Ian Hepher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium