New or used for first trailer? What to look for, what to avoid? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2017, 09:03 AM   #1

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Trying to decide
Utah
New or used for first trailer? What to look for, what to avoid?

Hi from Boise, ID! My name is Stephen and my wife and I are in our late 50's and are interested in getting our first ever camper. She is afraid of buying used, where I am not as leery. I saw some other threads where people are asking what is the first one they should buy, so I will read those for suggestions - but if there is ANY advise you can give me on what to look for, and probably more important, what to avoid, I would appreciate some input. Thanks for reading this! .... Oh, I should have mentioned we have a Honda Cr-V that has a tow rating of 1500 lbs. so lightweight is a must.
Stephenjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenjn View Post
Hi from Boise, ID! My name is Stephen and my wife and I are in our late 50's and are interested in getting our first ever camper. She is afraid of buying used, where I am not as leery. I saw some other threads where people are asking what is the first one they should buy, so I will read those for suggestions - but if there is ANY advise you can give me on what to look for, and probably more important, what to avoid, I would appreciate some input. Thanks for reading this!
When buying a fiberglass trailer, first get a "free" one.
Buy a an older trailer, take care of it, make needed upgrades and minor repairs and resell for a full return of your initial investment.
This will help you greatly when choosing your first new trailer and picking the size and features that suit you best.
You can then buy that brand new trailer with a full confidence of knowing what you want, freeing you from the disappointment and expense of selling at a loss and finally getting what's right for you. You will also have a nice down payment from the sale of your "free" trailer to ease the burden of paying for a new one.
Some folks discover that they simply don't like towing, camping or staying in a travel trailer at all. That lesson too is best learned for "free"!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #3

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I just bought my 1992 Scamp last Friday.

I do understand how your wife might want new as new is so much cleaner and sanitary, not to mention structurally sound.

But, as floyd pointed out above, it is likely a great idea to buy used.

I did this very thing. My 1992 has a fridge, and shore power. I thought I might want a restroom, and perhaps I may, but for now I am going to try this one out to see if trailer camping is for me and if this one I bought will suit my needs. I hope so, I love it.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #4

Name: Kerri
Trailer: Currently shopping
Oregon
New, and interested in reply

Quote:
Hi from Boise, ID! My name is Stephen and my wife and I are in our late 50's and are interested in getting our first ever camper. She is afraid of buying used, where I am not as leery. I saw some other threads where people are asking what is the first one they should buy, so I will read those for suggestions - but if there is ANY advise you can give me on what to look for, and probably more important, what to avoid, I would appreciate some input. Thanks for reading this! .... Oh, I should have mentioned we have a Honda Cr-V that has a tow rating of 1500 lbs. so lightweight is a must.
I also have a CR-V and have wondered about if it is appropriate for the older 13' Bolers. I don't have a trailer yet, but close.
Kkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm on the other end of the spectrum. If I had to buy "used" (Unless I knew the owner and it was only 2-3 months old etc) I wouldnt buy. That's just me.

I've been in TOO many used ones that smell, they're soiled, and no.

BUT, with a 1500lb tow capacity, you're going to be VERY limited as to what you can pull. You will to have to do alot of homework and still wont be able to even pull a loaded Scamp or similar RV. My 13' with front bath weighs in at 1740 lbs empty. My 99 Nissan Frontier 4 cyl is rated at 3500lb tow cap. On a hill, I determined I would NOT pull a heavier trailer than this.

Good luck as decisions can be very frustrating because of the variables and options available.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:39 AM   #6

Oregon
I thought as much. Great info, thanks.
I am so thrilled with the wealth of information available here!
Old 08-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #7

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
When buying a fiberglass trailer, first get a "free" one.
Buy a an older trailer, take care of it, make needed upgrades and minor repairs and resell for a full return of your initial investment.
This will help you greatly when choosing your first new trailer and picking the size and features that suit you best.
You can then buy that brand new trailer with a full confidence of knowing what you want, freeing you from the disappointment and expense of selling at a loss and finally getting what's right for you. You will also have a nice down payment from the sale of your "free" trailer to ease the burden of paying for a new one.
Some folks discover that they simply don't like towing, camping or staying in a travel trailer at all. That lesson too is also best learned for "free"!
This is all really good advice. (How much for your trailer? hahaha) I used to be an over the road trucker, so not afraid to tow a trailer, or back one, but I am leery of the small two wheels. Wish these lighter trailers still used a four wheel setup, but of course.... added weight. My wife and I LOVE to camp, but are sick of climbing off the deflated air mattress and wind buffeted noisy flapping put up take down tent lifestyle.... Thanks so much for the great advice!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Welcome from another, now retired trucker...my answer may not be what you want to hear...
If you buy new, especially the fiberglass rigs we all have here, they will last near forever with basic maintenance....virtually none of the new will meet your tows 1500# limit...even the older Bolers, Burros and such will tax that number...a teardrop would be about what you are looking for and they are a definite step up from sleeping on the ground...having used a teardrop for 15 yrs before jumping into my 17' Casita, I know how good they can be (and their limitations).........

Considering one of these molded fiberglass rigs will live for 30R40 yrs and go thru several tow vehicles, you might want to consider that replacement first!!!!
madjack
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:08 AM   #9

Utah
Teadrops...

I have looked at Teardrop trailers too, but so much "crawling in and out", though some have some great access with multiple doors. The Vistabule and Taxa Cricket look promising, but I just love the retro look of the fiberglass trailers and maybe a truck would be in order....
Old 08-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #10

Oregon
Yes, to both & all, thsnk you. I love my CR-V, but shall get to those issues....down the road
Old 08-09-2017, 12:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Not to hijack the thread, especially to a topic with so much opinion attached, but every tow rating I've seen counted tongue weight as payload on the TV.
It should not be counted twice.
Also, it is not necessary to discount manufacturer's tow ratings.
A 1400 pound Scamp13 with a 180 pounds of tongue weight has a trailer weight of 1220 pounds and adds 180 pounds to the payload of the TV.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #12

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
When we had a 1974 boler 13 it weighed 1140 with cushions, curtains, 3 way fridge, cooktop and vent, spare tire & spare tire mount that went on the bumper, new axle and brakes, no battery, no propane tank, no rock guard,
no water tank, no porta potti, NOTHING else in the trailer.

I would find it way to close to a 1500 lb. limit to be comfortable with your vehicle as a permanent tow vehicle.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Not to hijack the thread, especially to a topic with so much opinion attached, but every tow rating I've seen counted tongue weight as payload on the TV.
It should not be counted twice.
Also, it is not necessary to discount manufacturer's tow ratings.
A 1400 pound Scamp13 with a 180 pounds of tongue weight has a trailer weight of 1220 pounds and adds 180 pounds to the payload of the TV.
Ye-e-e-s, but it's still a trade-off. You can't carry the full rated payload of the vehicle AND the full rated trailer weight, as this chart in my owner's manual makes clear (click to enlarge). I also note that the trailer weight figures are clearly identified as total trailer weight, not axle weight.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 Pilot Towing.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	110007
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Step 1: you will have to get a new tow vehicle, or forget about a new molded fiberglass trailer. You will have to get a really stripped down trailer to fit within that tow rating, and even then, it will be marginal. Do you want a toilet? How about air conditioning? Refrigerator? Awning? All of those items add weight.

Getting less trailer than you want as far as functionality makes for less enjoyment camping. And if you are married, be sure to listen to your spouse. In my case, my wife had to have a toilet, and had to have AC. If I got a trailer without those features, I would be camping alone. And really what kind of partnership is it if I ignored her input?

New versus used is mainly all about time. The manufacturers all have about a six to nine month wait. Its not like you can just go to your local RV dealer and pick one up off the lot. Price wise, lightly used ones go for pretty close to what a new one sells for, so the savings is not that much.

Figure out what trailer fits your needs best FIRST, then figure out what tow vehicle will be required. Plan on having a tow vehicle with a margin to spare, rather than slap up against the max limit. Towing with a marginal vehicle is no fun! I've done it, I won't do it again.

Check out weights in the real world, published trailer weights, so called "dry weight" is basically fiction.

Before entering the world of trailering, few people pick out a vehicle with ample tow rating. For instance, my wife's car is a Honda Element, same drivetrain as the CRV and same tiny tow rating. We also have a Mazda Miata, fun car, but forget towing. For our towing needs we have a full size pickup, F150....

According to this file, there is not a single new FG trailer that weighs under 1500 pounds. And when you find one listed under 1500 pounds, look for more than one of that model.

As far as the discussion of tongue weight, payload capacity, which includes tongue weight, is an ADDITIONAL limitation on a tow vehicle. You cannot exceed either payload limit or trailer weight limit. And yes, tongue weight is part of trailer weight as well. Many vehicles run out of payload capacity long before they run out of tow rating. I exceed my payload rating with a trailer weighing about 6,000 pounds with my F150 while I have a tow rating of 9,800 pounds. Frustrating!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Want something a CRV can tow? Consider a small popup. Even then, you have to get a small one as many popups weigh more than 1500 pounds. We thought about towing a motorcycle popup camper (350 pounds) behind our Element at one time.

Max hitch weight on a CRV is 150 pounds. Trailers typically have 10 to 15% tongue weight, so you are likely going to run out of hitch weight capacity first. If you don't have enough hitch weight, you can introduce sway into your TV. Sway can be scary.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:58 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New or used for first trailer? What to look for, what to avoid?

There are quite a few CRVs in service with 13' trailers. Yes, you will want to look for a fairly basic trailer, not heavily optioned. No, you won't be able to bring tons of gear. Yes, you will need a transmission cooler and electric trailer brakes. No, you can't pack the CR-V full of people and cargo. Yes, you will have to take it easy on mountain grades.

If that describes you, then a CRV with a simple 13' Scamp, Boler, Trillium or similar would make a decent starter set-up.

Buying used could make it a "free" trial, as Floyd says. In my mind the "sweet spot" is somewhere around 6-12 years old. Even a 20-30 year old vintage unit can be sound, but you have to be careful. You can order new cushion covers from Scamp, replace carpet, make new curtains, and steam clean the headliner to appease your wife.

I agree that getting some experience with a used trailer is a big help in knowing what you really need and want in a brand new trailer
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:36 AM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A 1400 lb trailer will exert the same force (inertia) on the hitch to trailer connection points in the horizontal direction irregardless of how much of that weight is on the tongue. Is that considered when tow limits are set? Beats me. How manufacturers arrive at their numbers is a mystery often debated here. I for one believe it involves lawyers with ouija boards, but that's just me. Tongue weight is include as cargo so I guess if that's counting it twice, so be it.

New or used- These trailers are in high demand. Older trailers are most likely in need of repair. This is often discovered after the sale. Buyers are so happy " they found one" they miss things. Do you want a project? Do you want to wait several seasons until the right one comes along? Newer used can be so loaded up with options (many you may not want) as to drive the price well above new. With new you get only what you want but there is a wait. Depreciation is only an issue if you plan to sell. In most cases that's because you didn't do your homework. Happy hunting, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:30 AM   #17

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We switched from tent camping to our little 13 foot Scamp a few years ago and have LOVED our little egg. It is a 1982, fairly well taken care of before we got it. We did some minor cosmetic things, like paint and new cushion covers from scamp. New decals, etc. Really no issues at all. However, in July we just ordered a brand new 16 foot Scamp, because we see ourselves using it indefinitely. By buying used and older, we were able to utilize it for three camping seasons and really get a chance to decide what we actually want and need, put those ideas into a new one and of course, the hope is to at least break even on the sale of our 13 footer once we decide to sell it (I'm having a hard time letting go )
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #18

Utah
How do I "LIKE" a response?

I am receiving so much useful information to my question(s) but do not know how to show I "like" the responses. I get it that this is not Facebook, but as a newbie to the forums, am I missing something that allows me to acknowledge your great answers without filling up your inboxes with replies?

and again.... thanks so much!
Old 08-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Stephen,

As noted by others, a 1,500 tow capacity is very limiting. As former tent campers, we started with a Passat wagon with the same tow rating as your CRV and bought a teardrop trailer. I initially did not want a refrigerator or plumbing.

Then we bought a 17' Casita and had to have it delivered until we could get a tow vehicle capable of pulling it. We managed to pass the teardrop along for a little bit more than we paid. The Passat was gratefully purchased by the kids and we bought a used Audi with 4,400/440 towing capacity.

Now, we have a 21' Escape on order for completion in December. Although the 21's "numbers" are within our current tow vehicle's ratings, I like to have some additional reserve capacity. So, I expect that we are going to get another, larger tow vehicle, though I will wait and evaluate how this combination may serve in the interim.

In summary, we've no regrets, it's all been part of our education. We think the 21 will be our "forever" trailer, but no one really knows what the future holds.

What works for one does not for another. Floyd and many, many others are happy and content with their 13-footers. We think the 21 will strike the right balance for a near-horizon retirement with extended trips.

I will say that I seem to be seeing very many 2015, 2016 and 2017 trailers for sale of late. It seems that many folks are deciding that their initial choices were too small. Meanwhile Norm and Ginny have many, many years of happy experience traveling 7 months a year in their 16-footer.

Many people join this forum having never even been inside a molded fiberglass travel trailer, yet wanting to buy their "forever" rig. I think that it's difficult to know what you will ultimately want without having experience. Ultimately, you'll just have to learn what you can and pick a place to get started.

As to used versus new, my primary advice is that your eyes and nose and poking around a bit to check the flooring for soft spots can quickly tell you what you need to know. However, you'll need to be confident that you can in fact evaluate the flooring for hidden soft spots. It's not unheard of for vinyl flooring to conceal wood that has passed into the realm of oatmeal, even in these molded fiberglass units.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
I am receiving so much useful information to my question(s) but do not know how to show I "like" the responses. I get it that this is not Facebook, but as a newbie to the forums, am I missing something that allows me to acknowledge your great answers without filling up your inboxes with replies?

and again.... thanks so much!
Oh, we're all used to it here because we are all so darned "likeable".

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote