new owner needs some help - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 03:05 AM   #21

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Bob
Have you read the label on this product? TIRMS | Label-(M)SDS | Consan Triple Action 20 by Brandt Consolidated Inc. Of its many uses besides being used as a fungicide it can also be used on hard surfaces as a multi purpose disifectant, sanitizer-deoderant for use in homes, nursing homes,hospitals schools and institutions. Im not sure if you have a personel problem with me even though you don't know me but this is the second time you have critisized me in these forums.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:56 AM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Interesting reading of the MSDS & PDI's on this product in that the comments and safety instructions for use are the same as I had to deal with for 100's of products at work. Dang, if you read MSDS's on most things you use weekly around your house you'd be shocked by what they say. Nothing is stated other than eye and arm protection, not even a respirator. The same info you would get for using bleach in your clothes washer. It's not even flammable but if I were to use this or anything else with a pungent odor in an enclosed space I would be sure to use a fan for air exchange.....just cuz.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Nope, nothing personal, I am known to criticize what I perceive as being bad ideas on an equal opportunity basis

I often read the MSDS sheets as well as the Labels for suggested products that I have not heard of in the past, and a product that is 20% Alkyl* dimethyl benzyl ammonium chlorides is just plain nasty stuff.

Add to that, there is no mention whatsoever on the label for surface cleaning other than hard surfaces, and it mentions twice that surfaces have to be thoroughly cleaned before use and then kept wet for 10 minutes to be effective, all counter indicative for cleaning the inside of a very small and enclosed FGRV, who's wall coverings are not hard surfaces.

I was General Services Manager of the Lake Chelan Community Hospital a number of years back and, even then, the suggestion that my housekeeping staff use a disinfectant that had to stay wet on the surface for 10 minutes would not have been acceptable. Most Health care facility disinfection products typically work on contact.

I spoke to my ex this morning, who is a Nurse in a retirement home in Chelan, and when I mentioned the product, she said that she had never heard of it, and indicated that a product with those MSDS warnings & application instructions would not find use in a health care facilities in WA state.

Yes, I read the label, and I still have a real aversion for using products for uses other than intended, especially when other, less toxic, options are available and should be tried first.

And there is always this part from the label:
It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Interesting reading of the MSDS & PDI's on this product in that the comments and safety instructions for use are the same as I had to deal with for 100's of products at work. Dang, if you read MSDS's on most things you use weekly around your house you'd be shocked by what they say. Nothing is stated other than eye and arm protection, not even a respirator. The same info you would get for using bleach in your clothes washer. It's not even flammable but if I were to use this or anything else with a pungent odor in an enclosed space I would be sure to use a fan for air exchange.....just cuz.
Actually it is clearly stated on the product label and MSDS sheet to wear a respirator when using this product.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote