new owner needs some help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #1

Name: Donna
Trailer: 1986 boler
Ontario
new owner needs some help

Hi, I am "northern girl" from Port Perry, Ontario, Canada. My husband and I are proud new owners of a 1986 boler. We are so excited to be part of your very knowledgeable group,we will be starting our repairs and renovations very soon
and we know we can count on your support.
Our first big problem, besides leaks, is the odour..our baby boler came from being stored in a horse pasture...so a bit fragrant at the moment..what is the best way get rid of the inside odours besides leaving it well ventilated on a daily basis.
best to all,
"northern girl."
northern girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I don't know if you can get it up there, but I use OdoBan Disinfectant Fabric and Air Freshener.

Its a cleaner/disinfectant that is also used in long term health care facilities to clean and deodorize rooms. I use it to clean my rental rooms, which on occasion have become very difficult to clean and deodorize. It's available at some Wal-Mart's and also at commercial cleaning supply houses. Google it for local sources.

My last tenant was very fragrant, (He was also very ill) and it worked after several days of spraying and wiping down.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
I have had success in some situations by leaving an open bowl of vinegar in the space after giving everything a very good cleaning. New paint can re-seal surfaces like doors and floor.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #4

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Welcome we're just south of you and have an 82 Boler. Lots of great info here to help you out. Pull out the windows and re-install them with new butyl. That will likely be a source of some of your leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #5

Ontario
new member needs help

To Bob Miller, Darnelle and Raff..gee, thank you so much for all the helpful hints, I can't believe how quickly I received so much great advice. Love this site !!!
We will remove the windows and have been instructed on how to replace them due to possible leakage sources , we have scrubbed all the insides with bleach, we have tried the Vinegar and will certainly look for the disinfectant recommended thank you, we have tossed all the old cushions and are looking at replacing or repairing the Hull Liner..It is not the typical (elephant skin) but actual hull material..which leads me to my next question ..has anyone ever heard of painting this material. Was going to check with some Marine manufacturers but wondered if anyone has first hand knowledge. Thanks again for all the help..."northern girl"
Old 08-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Try an ozone generator.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Hi Donna: welcome to the FGRV site - it's a great source of help and advice. We're only about 100 km north of you and also in the midst of a reno job on our '73 boler. Caution ! - If your inner Boler skin isn't in bad shape, MANY persons on this site advise not replacing it. We've decided to do the clean, remove the tapes, grout the seams with calking, and repaint our ensolite (which actually looks like Hull Liner) with a vinyl paint from Home 'Despot'.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #8

Ontario
new owner needs some help

Hi bullfrogeh...thanks for the welcome...lots of Canucks on this site... eh ???
The ensolite on our baby boler had been replaced with this heavier hull liner that is grey in colour, thick and has a white T adhesive strip running on the seams about every 20 or so inches..it is so ugly and because of all the rain we have had..and the roof and window leaks , we have noticed this stuff is now pulling away from the ceiling and walls..also wondering if this is a source of some of the odour. We were worried about mold and that is why we wanted to pull it off or paint over with an anti mold odour controlling paint once we reattach it..thoughts ???
Old 08-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #9

Name: sue
Trailer: 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Agree with David, you can rent ozone generators at industrial cleaning supply businesses.
Worked for us. Good luck and welcome.
suelinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #10

Ontario
Thanks David and Suelinc,
I really appreciate your suggestions ..
Old 08-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #11

Name: will
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wyoming
You might try a product called ozium . It is an automotive air freshner, works good . In the states it is available at most auto supply stores as well as wallyworld.

Good luck!
Will
Wyowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:04 PM   #12

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Hi Northern Girl from the other end of the province. I would imagine this liner is the cause of the odour. Outside of cushions and drapes what else could it be? If the unit leaked for any length of time, most likely you have mould behind the liner , if not actually right in it. By the sounds of it, the unit hasn't been dried out in years.
I would strip it out and start over. It isn't as hard as some some it sound, it's just labour intensive. I did it with mine and it looks like a brand new rig. There are many options, take a look around the forum.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #13

Ontario
thanks so much Will and Keaner,,I was afraid to even think about the potential of mold..but think you may be right..we just want to try to get one quick weekend at the beach with our "willow" and then we will have to tackle the big issues in the fall..am so anxious to get going on the more fun stuff like DECORATING !! best to all ~northern girl~
Old 08-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #14

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
You might look into using some Consan Triple Action 20 which is available in most garden centers but I don't know if it is avalailable in Canada or not.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #15

Ontario
Thankyou Lee, I will check our garden centers here in Port..hopefully this will be a quick fix but we have been talking to some RV repair persons and they think the only true way to rid it of the odors is to remove everything to the bare walls and once you repair the leaks in the fiberglass then you need to paint with a odor sealant type of paint..they say these little trailers can really retain some nasty smells, after all she is almost 30 yrs old....thanks again for all the suggestions, we really feel welcomed into the world of "Vintage Trailers".
Old 08-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I think you would find that an ozone generator will eliminate those odours.

I am seriously considering purchasing this product:
HD Ozone Generator - NATURAL Odor, Smoke Smell, Mold Remover | business, industrial | Calgary | Kijiji
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #17

Texas
Registry
Consan Triple Action 20 has many uses but as far as deoderizing it is supposed to kill the mold and mildew that actually causes the odor instead of just masking it. Good luck with your project.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #18

About Cosan Triple Action 20...

This is nasty stuff. Be sure to read the use warnings and wear appropriate protective clothing, face masks and gloves etc. Here is the MSDS sheet, refer to Section 8 for warnings.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #19

Texas
Registry
Nasty stuff? One of the uses is to put a few ounces in with the rinse water when washing clothes to remove any odor that the laundry soap wouldnt remove. It worked great for that and I sure didn't suffer any ill effects the many times I used it for that purpose. Of course you want to read the instructions but it takes just a little bit of that stuff to a whole lot of water. Best Price: Consan Triple Action 20 Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chlorides 9%
Old 08-19-2015, 10:09 PM   #20

From the Manufacturer:
"This product is primarily intended for use as a Fungicide in the Turf & Ornamentals sector."

See Section 7 Storage & Handling: "Causes irreversible eye damage and skin burns"

See Section 8 Personal Protective Equipment of the MSDS Sheet

MSDS pdf Here:

http://pdf.tirmsdev.com/Web/23/37098...?download=true

TIRMS | Label-(M)SDS | Consan Triple Action 20 by Brandt Consolidated Inc.

Sounds like very nasty stuff for cleaning the inside of a small FGRV where skin contact, eye contact and inhalation is a much higher risk than pouring 2 capfuls into a washing machine.