New owner of Hunter Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2020, 12:18 PM   #1

Name: Jan
Trailer: 1970 Hunter Camper
Oregon
New owner of Hunter Camper

Hi! I am excited to have joined this group! I just purchased a Hunter Camper that had the reno started. It is just cabinet frames and fiberglass inside. No inside framing otherwise. Where is a good place to start? Any websites or facebook groups or books or ....? It's going to a slow process over the winter and hopefully finish in the Spring. I have read quite a few posts about tow vehicles. Would I check the car manufacturer about the capability of my car being able to pull that weight? Ask about a possible tranny cooler? I have a 2018 CRV. I have heard Hunters weighing around 800lbs dry weight up to 1500lbs dry weight. Another first time newbie question, would the weight I carry in the car also be factored into the gross weight of the pull or tow? Thanks for all who respond!
JBuchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:09 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
800 pound Hunters are either a completely gutted empty shell or a myth. Next time someone says 800 pounds, I'd like to see their certified scale ticket.

Forget books, just click on the manufacturers tab in the upper right corner of your screen, then choose Hunter. There you will find hundreds of threads about Hunters.

As far as towing, it depends on the rating of the EXACT vehicle (marked on the drivers door jamb), and the terrain you travel when camping. Also depends on how much you have in the car, and your camper.

We have a 2010 Honda Element, same drivetrain as that year's CRV. Myself, I would not tow with it, but others will. Get brakes on the trailer, stopping is most important.

And realize on dry weight, when you go camping, you will be towing the weight of your actual trailer, not its "dry weight."
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote