New possible Amerigo owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: 1973 Amerigo FG-16
Virginia
New possible Amerigo owner

Hi, I'm new to the forum - name is Tony. tomorrow I am going to look at a 1070 16-foot Amerigo for sale. Any advice as to what to specifically look at/for in inspecting this trailer? also, the asking price is $2,000 and from the pics, it looks in fairly good condition and I know that I will have to put some work into it - any opinions as to whether the price is too high? Thanks for any advice and input.
tatrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
There is at least 1 Amerigo out there for sale that has flood damage, don't even bother to look at that one.

But if that is the "Pole Behind" one in VA, it doesn't look all that bad in the pics. You will want to check that all of the appliances actually work. Sellers word that "We never used it" is usually code for "It doesn't work. It's hard to tell from the pics, but if it has the dual function "Duette" Stove/furnace there was a recall issued against it some years back.

Be sure to check the age dates on the tires, if over 6 years old they will need replacing regardless of appearance, if over 8 years old, I wouldn't tow it any further than the closest tire shop.

Amerigo's have a belly pan that hides a lot so be sure to look with a flashlight any place you can for water damage or rust, both inside and out. Look under every seat, bench and in the bottoms of the cabinets.

Again, make sure the seller can show you everything working. Call him tonight and ask that the refrigerator be turned on now so it will be cold tomorrow. Also be sure it can be connected to outside power.

IMHO: $2000 isn't a bad price if it doesn't have a lot of after purchase expenses. But it has been for sale for over a week and, in FGRV's that sometimes isn't a good sign. But the Amerigo, especially of that age, is a niche market. I like em' and would have looked at that one last week if I still lived in Springfield, VA

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amerigo