Quick update in our continuing resuscitation of the old Scamp. We just got back from a long race weekend at VIR
. Scamp did well, with the exception of the inoperative brakes
Recent repairs & upgrades include:
We lucked into a bunch of thicker, denser foam in the form of large furniture cushions we were discarding from an ugly couch. Repurposed the foam into all new dinette cushions, which DW covered with large fabric scraps. Cost = $0.00, but made about $1000 of improvement in 'mattress' quality.
Since the rusty wheels were off to do the brakes
, the wheels were sandblasted to bare metal, etched, primed & painted Scamp red. The rusty lug bolts were wirewheeled & painted bright silver. Looks sweet now, IMHO.
Replaced a bunch of broken/loose/leaky/rusty rivets with SS M5 truss-head screws & nylock nuts, sealed w/ 3M 5200
. Stopped the minor leaks
at the top of the over sink cabinet, over dinette cabinet and the top of the closet. This camper is darn near watertight now.
Added a 12V LED strip light
adhesive mounted under the kitchen cabinet. Wow, shoulda done that on day 1.
Added a 12V CPU fan in back of fridge
, pushing heat out of the upper vent. Seemed to help the fridge
keep up on all but the hottest days (we saw temps in the lower 90s & direct sun).
Added 2 12V CPU cooling fans in the roof vent to aid in pushing heat out the roof vent on warm days. Also helped on those really hot days.
Lost one of the wheel dustcaps on the road. Stopped at a Lowe's home store to look for a replacement because they have a small trailer accessory department in the summer. Turns out the trailer department is already on end of summer clearance, so I got a pair of reese Bearing Buddies
for $7.30. I don't actually plan to grease the hubs w/ the BB, but they fit much better than the cheapo Chicomm dustcap that flew off on the highway, so I'll use them as heavy duty dustcaps.
And here's a pic taken on the way home from VIR, crossing the mountains at the edge of VA/WV.