New Scamp 13 owner in OH - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #41

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
Kenny, we won't be able to make the Ohio rally this year, as we'll be OOT elsewhere for part of the weekend. We did go last year and had a good time meeting many other nice egg-heads. If you're ever near Lancaster, OH, send me an email and we can get together to compare notes.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #42

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Looking back at where this egg started it is amazing what you have created. Hats off and kudos.

Couple of questions. You said you used "tigerply" for your stove topper. Would that be floor underlayment or lauan?

Your awning, I recall a discussion about that type of tall shock corded pole awning but lost the thread. Who makes the one you have and what size is it?

Would love to lose the weight and bulk of the Coleman Max 10 x 10 I haul around currently. Although having that thing sitting on the gaucho means tongue weight is assured.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #43

Ohio
Roger, the tigerply was leftover 1/4" underlayment ply from a house flooring project.

Yes, I saw the same thread on this forum a while back and went to the local Gander Mountain store to buy their 10x10 dining fly on sale for $39.99. Not a heavy duty piece, but it packs compact & light compared to an EZ-up type. I also was not interested in hanging a bulky roll-up RV awning on the clean & compact Scamp body.

Gander still has the same fly, on sale for $49.
Gander Mountain Dining Canopy-760892 - Gander Mountain
Old 07-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #44

Ohio
New roof vent lid cover

Interior leaks dripping off the roof vent have been an ongoing problem. I thought the whole thing was gonna need to be removed and re-sealed & re-riveted. But when I finally took a good look at it, there were cracks in the plastic lid due to severe UV degradation. Attempting repairs w/ white duck tape was useless because the plastic was so fragile, it was like trying to tape together a cracked eggshell.

A new Heng's replacement lid was ordered from Tweetys RV parts. The Heng part # for the 15x22 vent lid (they call it 13x20 referring to the inside dimension of the escape hole) is 90007-C1. Tweety's PN is N22-0354.
The part arrived in 2 days for something like $56. Can't say enough good things about their price, shipping cost and speed.

It looks like this:

Now that it's installed, there has not been a single leak into the camper after 2 big thunderstorms in the last day.

Easy, cheap fix that I shoulda done a year ago.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:09 PM   #45

Name: Todd
Trailer: 1974 Scamp 13'
Malvern, Ohio
Registry
Can you tell me the length of those slightly used stabilizer jacks when they are not extended. I'd like to buy a pair, but my Scamp sits low and I'm not sure I have enough clearance.
Todd Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #46

Ohio
Todd, as the jacks swing down they need about 15" of clearance from top mounting surface to the ground. Once they are splayed out and snap up into lock position, it is a couple inches less.

My setup procedure is:
-Unhitch from TV,
-lower tongue jack all the way, which gets the clearance to swing down stabilizers,
- adjust down legs as necessary to get level from side to side (guesstimate)
- raise tongue, check bubble level inside scamp
-if necessary, fine tune by lowering tongue to unload stabilizer(s) and extend stabilizer a notch, or slip 1 or 2 small wood blocks under feet
- raise tongue to final level position.

It would be easier with a pair of screw adjustable scissor jacks, but these Fulton dropdown stabilizers are cheap and really tuck up out of the way when traveling.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:58 AM   #47

Ohio
Quick update in our continuing resuscitation of the old Scamp. We just got back from a long race weekend at VIR. Scamp did well, with the exception of the inoperative brakes.

Recent repairs & upgrades include:

We lucked into a bunch of thicker, denser foam in the form of large furniture cushions we were discarding from an ugly couch. Repurposed the foam into all new dinette cushions, which DW covered with large fabric scraps. Cost = $0.00, but made about $1000 of improvement in 'mattress' quality.

Since the rusty wheels were off to do the brakes, the wheels were sandblasted to bare metal, etched, primed & painted Scamp red. The rusty lug bolts were wirewheeled & painted bright silver. Looks sweet now, IMHO.

Replaced a bunch of broken/loose/leaky/rusty rivets with SS M5 truss-head screws & nylock nuts, sealed w/ 3M 5200. Stopped the minor leaks at the top of the over sink cabinet, over dinette cabinet and the top of the closet. This camper is darn near watertight now.

Added a 12V LED strip light adhesive mounted under the kitchen cabinet. Wow, shoulda done that on day 1.

Added a 12V CPU fan in back of fridge, pushing heat out of the upper vent. Seemed to help the fridge keep up on all but the hottest days (we saw temps in the lower 90s & direct sun).

Added 2 12V CPU cooling fans in the roof vent to aid in pushing heat out the roof vent on warm days. Also helped on those really hot days.

Lost one of the wheel dustcaps on the road. Stopped at a Lowe's home store to look for a replacement because they have a small trailer accessory department in the summer. Turns out the trailer department is already on end of summer clearance, so I got a pair of reese Bearing Buddies for $7.30. I don't actually plan to grease the hubs w/ the BB, but they fit much better than the cheapo Chicomm dustcap that flew off on the highway, so I'll use them as heavy duty dustcaps.

And here's a pic taken on the way home from VIR, crossing the mountains at the edge of VA/WV.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #48

Ohio
New Flooring & cushions

Here's a pic showing the recently upgraded bench/bed cushions, and the dated, worn carpet.

We decided that it was now or never if we're gonna get the flooring replaced before the snow flies. Off to Menards for some Armstrong sheet vinyl. We chose a simple black & white checkerboard pattern. It comes on a 12' wide roll, so it only takes 5' to do a scamp 13. At 20% off, the flooring only cost $45.12 plus tax.

With flooring in hand, we started emptying the scamper.

The carpet goes underneath the rear benches, so they had to come out, both to get rid of the carpet and to properly install the vinyl. With benches out, the carpet was removed. It was glued & stapled down, but the rotten pad & rusty staples hardly put up a fight.

An electric sander was used to knock down the lumpiest spots on the chipboard & fiberglas floor. Then the floor was carefully measured and a piece of vinyl was cut to fit in the main part of the floor. It was creased & folded to go up the rear 'stair' and under the kitchen counter. Another piece was cut to go in the dinette area. Then the rear benches were tossed back in.

The aluminum door threshold was reinstalled, with screws instead of rivets, and a new aluminum stair edging was carefully custom cut & installed with new SS screws.

Then all the interior went back in.

No more dirty carpet that holds dawg fur,
now we're Happy Scampers!

Old 11-10-2015, 06:02 AM   #49

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Very nice job on that vinyl floor! Did you glue it down, or loose lay it?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:52 AM   #50

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Amazing what a difference that floor made! Well done!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:07 AM   #51

Ohio
Thanks guys! We're liking it a lot, now that it's completed.

It's not glued or taped. It is loose lay except the aluminum threshold has it clamped at the door, there is tight fiting tongue into the porta-pot closet, the stair edge has it clamped in the middle, rear benches are screwed down on it... I was concerned it would be loose, but now that it's together it's not going anywhere.
FJ40Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #52

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Your dog looks an awful lot like a Groenendael!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #53

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Your dog looks JUST LIKE my old girl did when she was younger. Now her face is all gray (I don't tell her that), she is almost deaf, doesn't see so well, and is on medication for incontinence. Love her to death.

Nice looking trailer, giving me some ideas for my own that I just got this past weekend. Don't think I'm up to the extent of changes you made, but time will tell.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp