New Scamp 16' SD owner, in Walla Walla - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #1

Name: Michelle
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 16' SD
Washington
Registry
New Scamp 16' SD owner, in Walla Walla

Hi Forumites! We just took delivery of out new 16' Scamp Side Dinette. I am like a kid in a candy store.... and also a bit scared witless! I am so happy I found this forum and I know I will have a million questions (and I promise to use the search function when I have time, before I post) but to start off, here are a few:

1 - I saw several posts about redi-blinds, the cheap, accordion-style paper blinds that just go on with adhesive, and I'm wondering if anyone has further comments about how long they last, how hard to remove when the time comes that they tear, etc...?

2 - Electric break controller for my VW Touareg V8... Takonsha Prodigy has been recommended to me by a friend who has my exact trailer . I will probably order it in the next day or two unless someone pipes in with a stronger argument? yay or nay? I know this particular topic has been picked to death, but was hoping for ideas.

3 - Velcro vs. 3M Command tape/hooks?

I am so grateful to have this forum and the Yahoo forum to go to for friendship and ideas. We can't wait for Spring to get here so we can get her out of the garage!

happy scamping! - Michelle
tastebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post

3 - Velcro vs. 3M Command tape/hooks?

- Michelle
3M Command hooks are terrific. Read and save the instructions, so if you need to, you can remove and relocate them without surface damage.
I bought the white plastic ones ( cheap ) and ended up replacing them with the brushed nickel hooks for aesthetic reasons. They look terrific. The white plastic are ok for the shower.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome, great trailer choice!
I have the prodigy brake controller and it seems to be a popular choice, no complaints from me.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Re the search function - I get far better results using the search box at the bottom - the Site Search/Google one. You'll also find that some very knowledgeable folks here are extremely helpful, even when a combing of the archives could have produced the answers you need. SWo9 ask away, and enjoy your new Scamp!
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #5

I don't think that you would be unhappy with the Teshonka P3, P2 or Primus controllers. Some have more bells and whistles, but any of these would stop your trailer nicely.

Read the reviews on Amazon.

Amazon.com: teshonka
Old 02-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #6

Washington
Registry
Thanks guys - I very much appreciate the help.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #7

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I use a bunch of the 3M Command tape/hooks in my 16ft Scamp, that way I don't have perm. holes if I don't like it. I've got a bunch mounted to the closet door for keys. I have also placed velcro around the back windows for window covers, and just inside the door to mount anything I want close to the door. I've replaced some of the 3M hooks with brass coat and cup hooks on the cabinets after I decided I like the location. "Holes don't go away"
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #8

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell in Al View Post
I have also placed velcro around the back windows for window covers, and just inside the door to mount anything I want close to the door.
Darrell, your velcro window covers..... please explain - I think we're on the same page, but I'm very curious. I'm thinking of making velcro window "shades" as well out of black-out material or maybe even something colorful, but I'm curious of the success of others who've used it. Thanks, M
Old 02-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Congrats on the new trailer. I have a Takonsha Prodigy and i am more than happy with it.
3M hooks are great just make sure you get the right one for the weight of the job you want it to do. I agree with the others to keep the instructions though!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
Greetings!

I have just purchased a "new" (to me, a 2011) Scamp 16' SD as well! So I will "listen in" to your questions and the answers given.... which hopefully will keep me from asking the same questions!
My only advice is to steer clear of the 3M double sided tape... unless you plan to never remove it! I've had (too long to explain...) some issues with that stuff!
I will pick up my Scamp tomorrow, along with my Jeep which is having the brake controller and wiring installed ....Jeep and Scamp are spending their first night together!
Anyway, welcome and happy travels. May the skys be clear and the wind always be at your back!
jack smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack smith View Post
..........My only advice is to steer clear of the 3M double sided tape... unless you plan to never remove it! I've had (too long to explain...) some issues with that stuff!...........
Let's hear it. It is a popular adhesive with the fiberglass crowd as an alternative to drilling holes, especially in the roof.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #12

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Let's hear it. It is a popular adhesive with the fiberglass crowd as an alternative to drilling holes, especially in the roof.
Here it is: The Corvett I bought a couple of years ago: .,.previous owner was/is an "engraver" and had stuck a bunch of his "art" all around in the engine compartment. Great work, but not my style... getting that stuff (german silver plate) off was next to impossible. Tried everything: chemicals, the eraser thingy, heat gun.... had to rip it off which did some damage to the finish on the plastic it was stuck to. Maybe a different "grade" of tape?
I think that stuff is/would be great.,, for a permanent attachment, but then so is epoxy
jack smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp