New Scamp guy on board - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2024, 03:39 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp 13
Illinois
New Scamp guy on board

Howdy all...

Recently purchased a 77 Scamp 13', she's kinda needy. Sure bet I'll be combing the archives and asking a few questions as I progress along on my rehab journey. One of the more difficult (and expensive) parts of the rehab, now completed, was replacing the old original, dead and locked up torsion axle. The only suspension it had was the tire pressure. I bought a new one one along with 3 matching rims and tires for it. The new axle design is 5 lug, the old 4, no choice but to pop for the new rims and rubber.

I don't have a garage tall enough to pull it in, so It will probably sit until fair weather before I get too carried away. We have record lows coming this weekend, I'll be inside staying warm and making plans for the Scamp!

Paul
Resophonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 05:08 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Glad she's getting some love! Did you modify the spare tire mount for the 5-lug, or just hang it a bit lop-sided (as I only recently learned is possible)?

Have you inspected the frame for cracks, paying special attention to the front where it bends to form the tongue? How's the sub-floor? Leak detection and remediation will have to wait until warner weather. Those are the biggies.

The rest is the fun stuff! Enjoy!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 10:11 AM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp 13
Illinois
Hi Jon,

I have not dealt with the spare tire mount yet. There is much to do before any road trips.

The frame seems to be solid everywhere, a plus.

The floor is good is mostly in good shape, except for a hole near the drivers side wheel well. It's not very large and I should be able to patch back in. I will have to remove the sink/ refrigerator cabinet though to get to it properly.

The door hinges need attention and I have ordered a new Boler bolt kit for it. I will replace the door gasket too, the one that came on it is shot. I'll need to get that done before I can see how well the door will seal, and if has kept it's original curved shape.

It will all have to wait for Spring....

Paul
Resophonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp