New Scamp in Colorado - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

Name: Kate
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
New Scamp in Colorado

Hello,
I'm new to this forum. We just bought a 2005 13-foot Scamp and look forward to putting it to use. I already appreciate this forum for ideas.

Here's a question. If you travel to a big city, such as, say, San Francisco, even with just a car it's difficult to drive around town. It would be rough towing a camper there. Where would you find parking for car plus camper? Can you leave the trailer someplace so you can drive more easily in the city?

Thanks!
Kate
KatetheFiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:36 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New Scamp in Colorado

Welcome, Kate!

One option is to locate a place to camp outside the city and drive in, or even locate a park-and-ride lot and use public transportation. I recall staying in a New Jersey state park on one trip and catching the ferry to New York City from a national monument on the New Jersey shore (where we left the car for the day). New York, San Francisco, and Washington DC are three cities I would never drive into, with or without a trailer.

Every city is different. Post your destination(s) here and I'll bet you'll get some specific recommendations from forum members who've been there.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #3

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome to FGRV Kate.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:19 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Kate, welcome to the FGRV forum family. I second what Jon suggested, as this worked out well for us when we toured San Francisco.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Welcome to the site Kate

Tony
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #6

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Welcome to the group, Kate. Are you up for a road trip?

You might want to check the Rallies forum on this site and consider the Scrambled Egg Meet May 1-2, or the 2015 Egg Fest May 27-31 both of which are in Minnesota.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #7

Name: Kate
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Thanks!
Actually I wonder about getting around in any city if you are just passing through and don't want to camp nearby. Maybe we want to go to a historic site downtown for a couple hours and parking is going to be a challenge. Could the camper be unhitched and left at a someplace? Is there risk of it being stolen?
KatetheFiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:58 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Kate, what you're asking is harder. I really couldn't imagine taking a trailer inside a large, congested urban area and counting on finding a place to park it. Neither could I imagine going to a city like San Francisco and only planning to spend a couple of hours! I would also be very cautious about leaving a trailer parked unhitched somewhere, especially with out-of-state tags. Seems like asking for trouble.

Now a smaller, regional city might be a different matter, and sometimes significant monuments that are popular tourist stops might actually provide RV parking. I think you'll have to take it on a case-by-case basis. It would never hurt to call the place you want to visit and ask.

I'd say on the whole, the larger and more congested the city, the more planning it takes to visit. Again, though, you have a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum. And all of it is accessible on the fly through the FiberglassRV app.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #9

Name: Pineapple Man
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ohio
Welcome to FGRV ! You ask some good questions. Since we're also newbies to Scamps I've wondered about those things. We did make sure we purchased GOOD locks for the ball hitch, hitch clip and receiver. Not a guarantee, but more difficult than easily punched "cheapies", most crooks are lazy.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:46 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Kate: Another, closer "rally" is the 4th annual Rocky Mountain Egg Rendezvous being help north of Durango at the end of July. Check out: www.RockyMtnEggRendezvous.com

And another welcome, from a Boulder based egg owner.

... Greg
Boulder, CO
Not all who wander are lost.
Greg Hine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp