New Scamp owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #1

Name: Red
Trailer: 13' Scamp
California
New Scamp owner

Hi everybody! I just bought my first Scamp a few months ago and so far had two shakedown short trips in her. My 12 year-old son races BMX, and in Feb. we went to Reno, and last week we went to Redmond OR. on three day trips. In Reno we found out the Gas system was inoperable, and found that a single mantle lantern could keep her warm in 20 degree weather! In Redmond, we found that my skylight leaks, and that my six foot 275 lb rotund frame can really fit in one of those bottom bunks! lol. Replaced the regulator, replaced the electrical load center with one from a MUCH bigger trailer, added a few outlets, both 12 and 120 volts.

Also, pulled up the carpets, put an oak engineered floor in, replaced the upper cabinet doors with plywood/cork picture frames from Walmart, replaced the closet door with a framed chalkboard so my kid can leave me messages during the inevitable comings and goings at races, replaced the lower cabinet doors and the drawer front with stainless steel sheet (WAAAAY coool!) and replaced the icebox with a mini fridge. I also placed a 12 volt constant duty computer vent fan under the cabinet to vent the warm air from the fridge out of the camper.

The best bit of engineering is the shower. I pulled up the fiberglass seats in dinette, bought a 30x30 fiberglass shower pan, drilled a hole for the drain with a hole saw, fiber-glassed the raw edges of the OSB where the drain ran through, and cut the dinette seats in a contour that fit inside of the shower pan. That gives me a 28x30 shower pan where i can sit on a plastic stool, and my wife and kid can stand. The Water heater is one of these: Camp Chef HWDS Triton Portable Gas Powered Hot Water Heater - Walmart.com and the rigging is simple. The hot water heater is connected to the city water inlet on the trailer, and the shower head you see in the picture is attached to the inside end of the city supply. the hose is long enough to reach through counter top and the vinyl shower curtain, but normally sits by the sink, kind of like the pull out feature on a fancy home kitchen sink. Hot water for dishes OR a shower!. Cold water comes from bottles or the trailer tank.

Someone was asking about a porch light. My solution for indoor and outdoor lighting came from a close out sale at Walmart. For $30 I bought a set of landscaping 12 volt led lights. It included two spotlights and four regular lights. For another six bucks, I bought some waterproof cigarette lighter plugs in the boating section. One was drilled and wired through the closet by the door, and I epoxied an old car phone charger to the plastic base of the light. I can plug the light in when we stop and turn it on, or seal the plug for the road. The other nice thing is that the spotlights on a 15 foot cord give me lots of light to set up camp! I use the other lights in the trailer in outlets instead of the old high energy use auto lamps. Plenty enough to read or cook by.

I got lots of cool ideas from this site--I hope my solutions can help too!

Redrock!
Redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #2

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Hi Redrock. Welcome to the forum!
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see pictures of all your mods. They sound very clever.
Take care,
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #3

Name: Carol
Trailer: Chalet XL for sale. Hoping to get a Snoozy.
New York
I am trying to figure out what you did with the shower and dinette. Do you shower in the dinette now? Or eat in the shower? I just could not picture what was happening! I will have to see the photos to understand.
CarolMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV The modifications sound really, really interesting. I'm know pics would help me understand and they'd give other members great mods to think about.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Wow... that sounds amazing ... would love to see all that !
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #6

Name: Red
Trailer: 13' Scamp
California
I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. The Scamp is at my Hangar in town. I build homebuilt experimental airplanes for a hobby. When one sits at the dinette, one's feet are in the shower pan instead of on the floor. You don't even notice. I do remove the table to shower. That is the biggest pain. I thought about covering the bottom of the table with vinyl and just folding it up and latching it on the back wall. That way the shower curtain would only have three sides instead of four.

I think I'm going to have to replace the suspension on it. Anyone have a good souce for wheels? maybe 14s instead of 13s? I have 4 lug wheels and not much ground clearance. Gonna have to replace the rear window seal too. I put a hitch mount bike rack on the bumper, not a good solution. Gonna weld one up that is lighter and sturdier.
Redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #7

Name: Don
Trailer: 13ft Scamp sold looking now for something larger
Texas
Hey another Experimental aircraft builder, now cool is that? I am finishing up one myself!
DonFromTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTexas View Post
Hey another Experimental aircraft builder, now cool is that? I am finishing up one myself!
I build boats, but then I can swim.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #9

Name: Don
Trailer: 13ft Scamp sold looking now for something larger
Texas
Makes no sense to me. If you can swim why build a boat? If I could fly I would have no need to build an aircraft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I build boats, but then I can swim.
DonFromTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Red, if you buy a replacement torsion axle, the lugs are pretty standard and you should have no trouble finding wheels. The Dexter axie is popular. Flexiride makes one with splines so you can adjust your down angle to suit.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp