New Scamp owner coming from a "stickie." - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-10-2021, 02:54 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 13 Layout 2
Missouri
New Scamp owner coming from a "stickie."

Greetings all!
I am a 20-something male, living near the St. Louis area who just recently became the proud owner of a 2016 Scamp 13' Layout 2. I have owned a 2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 23' for the last 4.5 years, and have spent over 250 nights and 30,000 miles traveling in it, and loved every second. I've always wanted a molded fiberglass trailer, and finally saved the finances to justify owning a second RV, since I can't quite convince myself to part with my Mini Lite. The primary goal of having a Scamp was being able to take it on shorter trips easily, and have something I can tow with my spare vehicle, which is a 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R. I love my big Silverado 1500 crew cab, but there are times when it is nice to be able to take the Subaru camping, and I wanted to get out of a tent. I also wanted a compact base camp that I can use when I take backpacking trips in the Ozarks. I liked the durability and ease of maintenance with a molded trailer, versus a traditional trailer. (My Mini Lite is in like-new condition and has never leaked, but has taken a HUGE amount of time to keep it that way, and I think I should purchase stock in lap sealant at this point.)

I am sure I will have tons of questions on the care and feeding of my little egg, which I have affectionately dubbed "Shrimp Scampi." I am a bit particular with my vehicles, maybe to a fault, so I am all for over-maintaining them to make them last and keep them in pristine working order. Looking forward to hearing some tips and tricks, and sharing travel experiences with the FGRV community!

-John
Attached Thumbnails
20211207_185847.jpg  
tradcatholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:19 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Nice Scamp! I predict you’ll love it, and yes, not as much work to maintain as your stickie.

Welcome to the “egg” community, and (more) happy travels!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:53 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Won't be long that you will get rid of the stickie.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:41 PM   #4
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Since you like to take care of your RV’s you’ll be glad to learn that the service dept. at Scamp is reliably responsive to any concerns or questions. You’ve made a good investment, Scamp is a good company. I’m probably the biggest pain they’ve had, lots of questions, but they always answer quickly and explain in simple language I can understand. Any concerns, just reach out to them. You’ve chosen well. Enjoy.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:17 PM   #5

Name: Ray
Trailer: Escape 19’ (had Scamp 16’)
Colorado
Shrimp Scampi is the best name for a Scamp that I’ve ever seen! Good job! 😂😂😂
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:01 PM   #6

Name: Joe
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
Nice choice for your upgrade. I too live near St. Louis and own a 16' 2008 Scamp. If you need some support, let me know,
jdittrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:14 AM   #7

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
Welcome! Glad to have you here. Nice to see younger members.
Love the name!
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
My son has a Rockrood Mini Lite and I understand completely your hesitation to sell yours. My son's unit is 10 years old and has never been to a dealers or shop for any repairs. Why--because nothing has ever failed! I've owned 12 different RV's, all the way from our Scamp 13' deluxe to 3 different class A diesel motorhomes and no RV I've owned compares to the reliability of that Mini Lite!

Tags
scamp