New Scamp owner in Iowa - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
Iowa
New Scamp owner in Iowa

Hi folks!!

I have never owned a camper. A few years ago I had the opportunity to pick up an older Scamp trailer for $600. I moved pretty slow and missed out on that deal. But it always bugged me that I missed out.

2 months ago, when my mother-in-law's boyfriend mentioned that his father had a Scamp Trailer for sale, I told him to keep me updated.

2 failed newspaper listing later, I decided to try my luck.

I am now the owner of a 1977 13' Scamp Trailer.

I'll be sure to check out this site for suggestion on cleaning the outside and inside walls.

Just a few questions...

AM I the only one that thinks that seam tape on the inside is UGLY??

Can anyone guess on the model of that Norcold fridge?? (I glance inside, but I dont remember seeing a model listed.. but I may have missed it)

And....... $1400 wasn't too bad, right?

Thanks a bunch There are more pics in my album.

Joe

Joe M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Welcome from a former Iowan. Where in IA?

Yes, you got a good deal. It looks like a nice camper despite the tape. Explore this site, and you can find ideas for how to make changes.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Joe, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here. There's a number of people who've painted the ensolite and the seam tape. I'm betting someone pops in with some tips. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome, you got a great deal, they would go for a lot more round here if the inside is as good as the outside.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Your Cleaning will be worth it

Great to see another new Scamp owner.
You will be amazed at what a difference a good cleaning and polishing will make, cost is low, payoff is high. And best of all you can use it while you make progress.

Our Scamp is about the same age and was in about the same condition as your pictures show last fall when we got it. We also had massive amounts of silicon caulk which is just nasty and evil on fiberglass.

The seam tape comes off pretty easy, blow dryer for a little heat can help, and new tape can be purchased from Scamp online store.
http://shop.scamptrailers.com/

The ensolite (elephant hide) walls can be cleaned with LA Awsome and a scrub brush. I also got good use from a set of auto detail brushes from a big box store. Stiff but small enough to get in nooks and crannies. We had mildew, looks like you had someone that smoked in the trailer. Bar Keepers friend was also used inside ours.

Some folks caulk the seams after removing the seam tape. Some even paint the ensolite. Now that ours is cleaned I'm just going with the seam tape.

Bar Keepers friend was suggested for aluminum and fiberglass cleaning and it worked great with a rag on fiberglass (removed all that black) and detail scrub brush or plastic pot scrubber pad on alum. The green scrubbers can leave scratches on the fiberglass so a little care is in order to not scrub hard on the FG with them. I think there are softer scubber pads that might be a good choice, maybe white?

The decals can be purchased from the scamp store if desired. As can the curtain rod brackets and much of the other hardware.

Polish for the aluminum such as Nevr-Dull is readily available from auto parts store, I liked to follow that with Semi Chrome polish which leaves a protective film on the alum. Note aluminum polish creates black residue, masking tape to protect white fiberglass will save you having to clean the black off the white trailer.

TSP available at big box and hardware stores to wash, rinse well and follow with the Red Max #3 available at Lowes. See this thread for more info. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html

All I can say is that Red Max applied to a really clean camper makes the trailer look like new. We owe a debt to the brave camper who first gave that a try on their FG egg.

Fiberglass polish such as StarBrite works really well on the inside fiberglass. Cleans and leaves a protective polish behind.

Parts like the curtain rod brackets, and plastic plumbing and electrical covers, even the decals for them are available at the scamp store.

You can cruise through this thread where I sort of tracked my progress through the refurbishing process. Others have posted answers to my questions there that I found most helpful.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-51268.html
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Holy Cow! After looking at your album I'd say you stole that beautiful Scamp, LOL. Now enjoy her and make lots of memories!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #7

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Holy Cow! After looking at your album I'd say you stole that beautiful Scamp, LOL. Now enjoy her and make lots of memories!
The inside in the album pictures is really nice, the floor is sweet and it all looks like it is in good shape. You got a really good deal.

Could you upload a picture that shows the detail of your front tungue? Mine has no spot for a battery and it looks like yours has a battery mounted in a different way that might work better than moving propane tank forward to put battery behind it as I was planning to do.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You got a great deal the inside of the trailer looks great!
Re the seams- nope your not the only one who thought they were ugly :-) even Scamp did and replaced it in later models with what we call "rat fur" which you can buy by the roll from Scamp..... not sure if you can just 3m spray glue it or not right over the old walls or not - perhaps someone has.

I used 3M marine products for fiberglass such as their Restore and Wax with a power buffer to clean up the exterior of mine which wasnt in great shiny condition when I got it either.

Enjoy the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Yeah, nice buy! Looks like a great camper. And Iowa needed more egg owners
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Bought my 1st 13' Scamp in Ames Iowa.
Before
Name:   scamp1.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  7.9 KB

AfterClick image for larger version

Name:	May 19 2011 004.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	47060
Have fun making it your own.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #11

Iowa
Wow! Thanks for all the great tips! I will get a pic of the battery/propane placement when I get the chance.
A couple of other notes..
The camper has sat for a little over a year... so the battery is toast. I wasn't able to test the fridge. I was told it works. Apparently "Peanut" (the previous owner) never used the furnace... so who knows... Neither is a concern for me, because I found a nice Norcold portable freezer/fridge at a thrift store for $25.
I also have an Olympian wave 3 heater (new condition) if I need that.
Also in my pile o junk are 2 40 watt Kyocera solar panels I picked up somewhere, as well as a smaller 20 watt panel and a Sansui charge controller.

My original plan was to convert my "work van" into a camper.... Having 2 kids kinda put an end to that. But it will be nice to have some of the parts I've collected put to good use.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #12

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Congratulations and welcome. We will heading out of the oil patch and back to Iowa with our Scamp 5ver. My husband was able to get a job close to our home in Decorah.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #13

Iowa
Oh yeah I did forget to mention we are in the quad cities.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #14

Registry
We used to live in Wilton and shopped in Davenport when I was going to grad school in IA. I am from Anamosa while hubby is from Decorah. Miss, miss, miss IA.

Nice deal and should make for lots of memories.

CindyL
Old 05-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
hey Joe, i'm from Iowa City so not far down the road. there's a very helpful scamp owner over in Durant if you need a closer contact!

@CindyL - I bought my Boler in Wilton! When I saw it pop up on ebay, I was shocked it was so close... thankfully the owner closed the auction and sold it to a 'local'!
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:48 AM   #16

Registry
@ Luke and @ Joe,

Small world, isn't it? I taught for a year at Riverside and was school librarian at Bennett for a year. Hubby, Kevin A here, was school administrator at Wilton and Durant. All that was before I would have dreamed of camping.

My family is still around Anamosa and Cedar Rapids. Kevin's folks are still in Decorah.

I have been checking out a campground online around the Amanas for a possible trip this summer.

I love Iowa City. I got my degree there.

CindyL
Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Missouri
Hey Joe, enjoy the new camper. I grew up at the other end other end of the state in Harlan but my son now lives in the quad cities. I used my compact II for the first time last month on a trip to the Smokies. I'm currently at the Lake of the Ozarks in Mo looking for camping opportunities. Off to Lowes for some Red Max.

John
vetjeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
John,
You may find that the Red Max is gone from Lowe's. Supposedly they discontinued it during the past year. Do a search for replacements that others have used in place of Red Max. Here is one suggestion from another forum: "Go to Home Depot. I believe ZEP Step 3 floor finish is the same product as Red Max Pro 3."
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #19

Michigan
I just picked up some Red Max at Lowes last month on sale, had seen the posts about it not being carried so I asked manager. Was told it is a stock item, scanned the upc and said they had a hundred in stock.

Lowes lists it on their web site for in store pickup too.
Shop Red Max 128-Oz. Low Maintenance Floor Finish at Lowes.com

Might be regional or Canadian availability?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Missouri
Thanks Kevin, the stores down this direction no longer carry Red Max. After I got home I too found that the Zep is being used in similar fashion. All's well I get another trip to town this weekend.

John
vetjeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp