New solo buyer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2021, 04:29 PM   #1
air

Name: Art
Trailer: Shopping
New Jersey
New solo buyer

Now just might be the time to get one. I've often thought it would be a Casita, Scamp, or Trillium. But I think I might want to stick around here and find out a bit more.

I don't really need a bathroom or ac inside as mostly I hope to be without those services. Heat is important. Lightweight is a real plus for me too.

If anyone within 150 miles of ny/nj has a trillium to look at I'd appreciate it. I've seen both casita and scamp.

thanks

Art
air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:24 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Might want to check this one out. Same layout but an extra 2’ of space.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...unk-97471.html
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:54 PM   #3
air

New Jersey
Thanks.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:21 AM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Might want to check this one out. Same layout but an extra 2’ of space.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...unk-97471.html
Wow, that is nice.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:21 AM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Welcome, let us know what you decide.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:49 AM   #6

Name: Larry
Trailer: trillium4500
New York
Registry
have one in Buffalo
lables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:18 AM   #7

Name: Steven
Trailer: Trillium
Indiana
Registry
We have had a 1978 Trillium 4500 for almost a year and have completed eleven outings, including a few nights into the 20s. It pulls quite easily with our Odyssey at Interstate speeds, but more fuel-efficient at 55 mph.
Lots of storage.
The propane heater was missing in ours. I looked into installing a modern unit, but ended up finding an original Duo-Therm model 65810-002. Fairly easy install and has worked very well for us so far. We use a 350 Watt plug-in heater (no cord) in the outlet below the rear window when we have shore power.
Steve Hague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:45 AM   #8
air

New Jersey
Wow, that sure is nice looking. I hope i look that good when I get to be that age. At a 400 miles drive, I won't be able to make it to that one before someone far luckier than me gets it.

I saw a video a while back, and I'm pretty sure it was the same kind of trailer. I can't think of the Gentlemen's name. But his handle sounded something like Slimjim; Slimfry; or maybe Slimdogmillionaire. He posted it on youtube and I think he's from Canada too. He showed his trailer getting some work done to it at the factory. Nice guy. Ill see if I can locate that one and I'll share it with you all.

Thanks for the recommendations. Keep them coming.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #9

Name: Pamela
Trailer: 2010 13 foot Scamp
Minnesota
Slimpotatohead....good utubes
PamelaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:22 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
As for not needing / wanting a bathroom or AC, when it comes time to sell an RV so equipped (or NOT equipped) I expect it would severely lower the sales price. I've known "egg" owners who simply DON'T use their onboard toilet because the don't want to deal with a black water tank but, they're in the very small minority. A bathroom can also be "repurposed" for use as extra storage space.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:59 PM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
As for not needing / wanting a bathroom or AC, when it comes time to sell an RV so equipped (or NOT equipped) I expect it would severely lower the sales price. I've known "egg" owners who simply DON'T use their onboard toilet because the don't want to deal with a black water tank but, they're in the very small minority. A bathroom can also be "repurposed" for use as extra storage space.
Count me in the, "very small minority", along with most Trillium owners. While there are Trilliums with a bathroom, they're in a very small minority. I like the simplicity of a trailer that doesn't require blowing out the tanks, (I don't even use the fresh water tank).

I'm happy to use the facilities at the campground, or gas station. In a pinch I do carry a Port-a-potty, but I have never used it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:33 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It’s related to size. Buyers of larger trailers generally expect a bathroom, smaller trailers not so much. Around 16’ is a tipping point.

Since it seems the OP is looking at trailers in the smaller 13' class in which the majority do not have a bathroom, it will not be a problem, either to buy or to sell.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:41 AM   #13

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air View Post
... I don't really need a bathroom or ac inside as mostly I hope to be without those services. Art
There's a difference between "need" and "want", and that demarcation changes. I ( JonMB ) didn't want a toilet or shower, a waste of space and more chores/tasks in my opinion, when we were looking for an egg to supersede our pop-up.
She ( BonnieRB ) had a different delineation of that want/need. A toilet in-situ was a necessity.
Due to social distancing guidelines and the closure of campground public restrooms and showers we'd not have been camping this prior spring if we weren't 'self-contained'. Because of this limitation on public facilities I have found the shower/toilet is a convenience, an asset, that I could, only if I absolutely had to, forgo. I later found that I'd use the camper's water closet when the trek to the now-open public toilet was further than I really wanted.
How far have I fallen from the rugged outdoorsy image I thought I projected? I created a location in my solo pop-up for a cassette toilet.
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:32 AM   #14
air

New Jersey
It's true, I just might need to adapt my expectations for the trailer layout - that is, if I ever become lovable and as cute as I once was.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:38 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: ECO
Arkansas
Thanks, I am Bob Abbott and have a ECO 13’ that needs a real rework, I am going to see if there is people that restore these little trailers, something like there is companies that work on the GMC Motorhomes doing a complete overhaul. I am not sure we can do this type of project at my business. Also how about parts, windows, axles, Any help will be more th@n appreciated
Bob Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:02 AM   #16

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Abbott View Post
Thanks, I am Bob Abbott and have a ECO 13’ that needs a real rework, I am going to see if there is people that restore these little trailers, something like there is companies that work on the GMC Motorhomes doing a complete overhaul. I am not sure we can do this type of project at my business. Also how about parts, windows, axles, Any help will be more th@n appreciated
Welcome, Bob Abbott
I suggest you start a new thread including your location and wish to find help. There may be people here who can help you. Good luck.
Gigi
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote