New- Subaru Forester-What Can it Pull? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2016, 11:50 PM   #21

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
The new ones are rated at 1500. Yours is 2400. Don't listen to anyone who says you can't tow a small trailer. Just aim to stay under about 1500 dry weight (the lower the better). I agree with you- no point trading in a great car with only 80,000 miles on it. People will tell you a lot of stuff but not very many of them have towed for 8 years with a Subaru Forester as I have.

One thing you should try to do (but maybe can't for a few months) is go visit a fiberglass RV rally somewhere and see what's out there. Find out if the older trailers tend to have enough allergens to bother you (they don't bother me but I'm probably not as sensitive- though I can guarantee obvious mildew or mold would bother me.). You might look at the Winter rally coming up in California but don't know how many rigs will be there.

A Campster would be a great choice for weight. Some of the Compacts are light enough, too. Do you have a place to store it indoors? (Garage?) Teardrops are nice but I really like being able to stand up inside the trailer.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:22 AM   #22

Name: Harriet
Trailer: Wtd: Something Tiny!
California
Really?!?! It's better that it's older?!? Excuse me while I dance a little!!! Yes, I'll try to go to a rally nearby. There's one in June in Tahoe. Oh, fyi, I put a post On Sacramento RV's re: the Campster that was on there. The guy didn't take the ad down; it had expired. So I'm crossing my fingers it comes on again after the holidays or ??. Do you have something that alerts you if Any Craigslist anywhere has posts for Campsters, Burros, etc? Thank you!!! Do you live on one of the islands off Seattle? I saw something about a ferry, so....
Veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:38 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You need to do your own homework. Don't just accept the posts that reinforce what you want to do.
Some would say you need a Ford F350 dually to tow a 13' Scamp and others would say you can tow it with a Honda Fit.
To start, talk with a Subaru dealer. Get them to run your VIN and they can tell you what your tow limit and tongue limit is for the exact vehicle you own. That VIN will tell you how your vehicle is equipped. It will tell you if you need to add a transmission fluid cooler or other equipment to achieve the tow rating you require.
This, and other forums are useful for learning what you might need, but it's still up to you to confirm the information you've received.
My 2008 RAV4 Sport V6 has heavy duty alternator, a larger radiator and transmission fluid cooler and is rated to tow 3,500 lbs / 350 lbs tongue weight. The same vehicle is now rated to tow 1,500 lbs and the V6 isn't available. The alternator, etc. was standard equipment in Canada and optional in the U.S.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:54 AM   #24

California
Ohhhhh nooooo. Ugh. Common sense. Okay. You're right. I should use it. I'll do homework. I Just inherited money so all of a sudden I may actually be able to get whatever trailer I want - which is an easy dream to run with.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:58 AM   #25

California
Do you know why the v6 was discontinued? And all the things that made it a vehicle that could tow a decent trailer?
Old 12-22-2016, 01:09 AM   #26

I think it was a market decision.
Toyota needs to achieve CAFE target ( Corporate Average Fuel Economy ). They can sell more Tundra pick ups with poorer fuel economy if they sell a bunch of RAVs with better fuel economy.
There are not a lot of buyers looking to tow a small trailer so no point building a vehicle for them.
And, as for the V6, a friend who managed Toyota, Honda and Ford dealerships told me that the acceleration of the RAV V6 on test drives scared a lot of customers, and they opted for the four cylinder.
It goes like stink.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:16 AM   #27

California
Hmmm. There are so many Tiny, tiny trailer options out in just the last few years though; there's a huge market. Oh well.... VW just came out with a new Westfalia, and it's called The California. And it would sell like mad - but they're Not releasing it in the US. So strange.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:22 AM   #28

VW is trying to rebuild trust after defrauding consumers about their diesel emissions. You can't buy a diesel VW either. Sales have plummeted and owners are waiting for VW to buy back vehicles and pay compensation as agreed in court settlements.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:01 AM   #29

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggiegirl View Post
Hmmm. There are so many Tiny, tiny trailer options out in just the last few years though; there's a huge market
You have to understand that the molded market is a very small nitch market....very small. The Compact Jr/popup types that may work for you have been out of production for years but many are still around. There are only a hand full of molded builders in business today that put out a few hundred units a year compared to the stick builders doing thousands of units. 13' is pretty much the smallest of the new molded builds. You may want to look into the HC1 as they seem to be on the lighter side. BTW, travel trailers are measured from the hitch ball to rear bumper. A 13' Scamp has a 10' box and 3' for the A frame tongue for an example. I have to agree with others here, you need to first have your VIN run to see what your car really has going for it. Also, I haven't seen anyone telling you to look at the file....trailer weights in the real world. These were weighed loaded at the start of number of rallies and showed the difference of what the builder quotes for dry weight and, well, real world road weight . Good luck to you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:03 AM   #30

California
Oh, okay. Thank you.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #31

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
How about this?

I have the full camper, but he had several tear drops sitting there when I picked mine up. It is decent sized inside. He did tell me he had a lady pick up the full size with a Subaru Impreza a week or so before I picked up mine. She lives in NC said on hills it towed the camper very well.

Jason

BTW - something to consider also is frontal area. Towing at higher speeds with small tugs means larger surfaces on front of trailer are effectively like a parachute. So a smaller tear drop or pop up will also help your case.
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
How about this?

I have the full camper, but he had several tear drops sitting there when I picked mine up. It is decent sized inside. He did tell me he had a lady pick up the full size with a Subaru Impreza a week or so before I picked up mine. She lives in NC said on hills it towed the camper very well.

Jason
That particular one wouldn't work- tongue weight is 250lbs and the wheels are set too far back for someone to be able to balance tongue weight by putting heavy items in back.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #33

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
That particular one wouldn't work- tongue weight is 250lbs and the wheels are set too far back for someone to be able to balance tongue weight by putting heavy items in back.
I noticed the wheel placement. His estimate of tongue weight was off on mine. Lighter than expected. Also easy loading means heavier items end up at the back. Also as pointed out Forester load capacity means personal belongings end up in car instead of camper.

I would make the case that this is possible, but no ideal. Now a Casita with 375lb tongue weight is a totally out of the question.

But a more basic question is he building again? Probably options that are closer to OP in CA.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggiegirl View Post
Really?!?! It's better that it's older?!? Excuse me while I dance a little!!! Yes, I'll try to go to a rally nearby. There's one in June in Tahoe. Oh, fyi, I put a post On Sacramento RV's re: the Campster that was on there. The guy didn't take the ad down; it had expired. So I'm crossing my fingers it comes on again after the holidays or ??. Do you have something that alerts you if Any Craigslist anywhere has posts for Campsters, Burros, etc? Thank you!!! Do you live on one of the islands off Seattle? I saw something about a ferry, so....
Yes, better because it is older, the magic age for 2400 lb capacity was 2003-2013. I live on Whidbey Island (and do have a Campster for sale, btw, haven't put it on Craigslist yet as I don't want to deal with pulling it in and out of the garage to show during the winter, but will in the spring.)

Here are a couple of pictures- my 2012 Forester (same towing capacity as yours) pulling the Campster and pulling the Escape 15A.
Attached Thumbnails
trailer on coast.jpg   13483304_10100838219019471_1595832895528916541_o.jpg  

Old 12-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #35

Quote:
He did tell me he had a lady pick up the full size with a Subaru Impreza a week or so before I picked up mine. She lives in NC said on hills it towed the camper very well.
Always trust a salesman.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
I noticed the wheel placement. His estimate of tongue weight was off on mine. Lighter than expected. Also easy loading means heavier items end up at the back. Also as pointed out Forester load capacity means personal belongings end up in car instead of camper.

I would make the case that this is possible, but no ideal. Now a Casita with 375lb tongue weight is a totally out of the question.

But a more basic question is he building again? Probably options that are closer to OP in CA.

Jason
There are other teardrops, too. But most of them are just as heavy as the lighter eggs.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #37
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Lil guy teardrop, meerkat, and T@B are all made by lil guy. New, these trailers sell for close to $10k and up. My father in law picked up a used T@B for about half that. Not fiberglass but nice trailer.

Teardrop Trailers & Mini Campers for Sale in California | Little Guy Trailers
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #38

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Yes, better because it is older, the magic age for 2400 lb capacity was 2003-2013. I live on Whidbey Island (and do have a Campster for sale, btw, haven't put it on Craigslist yet as I don't want to deal with pulling it in and out of the garage to show during the winter, but will in the spring.)

Here are a couple of pictures- my 2012 Forester (same towing capacity as yours) pulling the Campster and pulling the Escape 15A.
Bobbie, those photos don't show your Forester pulling a trailer.
They show your Forester parked and hooked to a trailer!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Bobbie, those photos don't show your Forester pulling a trailer.
They show your Forester parked and hooked to a trailer!
Yeah, well, a little hard to get a video as I drive down the road!

As an aside, I was totally surprised to get about the same gas mileage towing the Escape as I did the Forester- between 18.5 and 20 mpg. (Higher on the freeway where I didn't go over 60 and usually stayed at 55.) I thought the heavier weight and greater frontal area would make more difference than it did.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #40

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Campster, Hunter, Little Joe, etc. with rear entry have essentially the same layout. Since you are on the coast you may have had the opportunity to sail on a small (16 foot or so) pocket cruiser. The layout pretty much mimics those, with the exception that the bunk is not v-shaped.

All of these trailers are within the tow limits of your 2003 Forester, but you will have to be careful in what and how you pack.

The Little Joe is taller than the others mentioned, which gives a little more windage. However, the Joe is narrower than the others mentioned, which have pop up tops, but the front is more streamlined, with rounded corners.

For you and your dog any of these trailers would serve.

As you have experienced, these trailers move fast and you have to be ready, cash in hand, to run over and cut the deal. That said, don't limit yourself to only one make and model, but have several choices ready. You will acquire a trailer faster and be able to hit the road. These trailers are in high demand and if you don't get your ideal trailer first shot, you will have something you can use until you do. If you find that that one is not for you, you should be able to recoup your investment fairly easily.

I also suggest that you go to the Document Center, under the "More" tab on the top right of this page, and download a 'Buyers Check List', so you will know what to look for and what questions to ask when you go look at a hot prospect.

Good luck in your search.

PS: There is a general buyers guide and a Boler buyers guide. It wouldn't hurt to look at both. Though one is Boler specific, it will still be good prep in your search.