New to campers in general - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-23-2020, 02:35 PM   #1

Name: Jay
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
New to campers in general

Just picked up an 85 Cadet Taurus (it’ll be a gut), but everything outside is in decent shape. I’ll have to get a Dropbox or update my website with rehab pictures from beginning to end.

Is there anywhere to look for reproduction handles or resources on detailed pictures inside an original new unit?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
1E22DBD8-6D74-4690-8F2A-E792F4ED9B33.jpeg   ACD9AF4F-43F5-422E-B626-4626EC969EDA.jpeg  

7DC2496E-1D30-44E0-B16E-DE35AC86AFDA.jpeg   F3584FD0-6B53-42C9-8EDD-26B5CD763909.jpeg  

jason.mcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Welcome!!! I love those little Cadets. You might do a search or look thru the gallery for pictures.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:15 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Jay!

Regarding pictures of original interior... The "Site Search/Google" feature (bottom of the search menu in the toolbar) is the best way to find stuff on this site. If you look at enough Cadets, you'll get a sense of what's original and what's not. Of course you can do a general internet search as well.

In the end there's no compelling reason to return the trailer to original condition. It's uncommon, but not so rare or special as warrant preservation. Do what works for you. Thin-walled fiberglass shells do depend on interior cabinetry for support, so a totally open layout is not a good idea. You'll want to incorporate at some floor-to-ceiling components. In my Scamp that's provided by a full-height closet by the door (a very common feature in many fiberglass models) and a metal support between the lower and upper galley cabinets on the street side.

Regarding original hardware... Some things are no longer made. Locksets for the doors are often a case in point. A locksmith may be able to salvage what you have with new parts. Otherwise you'll have to purchase something current and make it work. Fortunately fiberglass is a very forgiving medium to work with. You can cut and add and shape as needed to accommodate different hardware.

Some parts may still be available through European suppliers, but you'd have to ask other Cadet owners for details. Of course it won't be cheap to get them here.

Best wishes on your renovations!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote