New to forum - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2016, 07:01 AM   #1

Name: Anthony
Trailer: Scamp 13
Vermont
New to forum

Hi everyone, my name is Tony and my wife is Karen. We are new to this group. I posted this message yesterday in the chat section instead of the new member section, so am reposting. My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a new 13 foot Scamp trailer. We have attempted to find a used one here in the northeast, but they are few and far between, so in September after leaving Yellowstone Park, where it was 28 degrees and snowing and we were tenting, we drove through MN. and visited the scamp factory. We liked the deluxe model because instead of bunks, it had a little dinette. However, due to its configuration, the seating area is only about four feet six inches, not enough to sleep on when converted to a couch. Also, the deluxe has lots of wood in it making it about 250 pounds heavier than the standard model and as we will be pulling the camper with a 4 cylinder Subaru with a manual transmission, we do not want the extra weight in wood. So we are interested in purchasing the standard big bed model with bunks and converting the bottom bunk to a dinette that can be reconverted to a bunk when needed. I'm wondering how difficult this conversion would be and are there any structural concerns in making this alteration. Thanks for any information you might provide and thank you to all I have already met and corresponded with on this site.Tony
Tony M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:58 AM   #2

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
New Egg

Hey Tony,
Casita also makes a 13 footer, just another possible option. You are correct about the scarcity of fiberglass trailers in the Northeast. We saw our first Casita at Northbeach Campground in Burlington Vt. fell in love with it came home did our research and didn't see another one until we pick ours up 5 yrs later. Good luck with your search it will be worth it. Peace.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #3

Name: Anthony
Trailer: Scamp 13
Vermont
New to Forum

Hi Wayne, yes, we looked at the Casitas on line. Very nice. A bit heavier than the Scamp 13. I read that Casita was started by a member of the family that makes Scamp. We also are in Connecticut.
Tony M is offline   Reply With Quote