new to here - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
Vw

Jan I did not try to Diss you in any way We were newbies 1& 1/2 ago years ago and trying to learn as much as possible . We just don't want anyone to hurt
themselves or others with false info from a salesperson .We have been looking at tow vehicles for a while i have a 07 Sequoia V-8 which is great for almost any fiberglass RV but it is a gas hog .So my quest is for a smaller car ,truck SUV that will handle a 2500lb trailer .I'm leaning toward a truck to get a Escape 5er or their new Twin Axcel fifth wheel sometime in the future .We love the Snoozy but with Grandkids and such bigger might be better and the Canadian dollar down might be a good time to pull the trigger ?? JIm

BTW my sign in is jennykatz after my daughter This was the name of one of my boats and I keep the call sign JIM
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
That 4-banger has 200 HP now... amazing output for such a small engine.

There are some people who have towed heavier trailers than the Casita with Jettas and such, but they have the hitch receiver specially built to attach more securely and to handle the load. The 16' Casita Deluxe when loaded for camping would likely weigh 2500 to 2800 lb; that's not very much over the 2200 lb rating. With an improved hitch receiver it would be possible. But even then, it would be best to stay in the flatlands; I'd expect that you would be unhappy with how slow you'd have to go if you ever towed up a long grade at higher elevations. (Not that you have much to worry about around GA, though).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #23

Name: Jan
Trailer: in the market
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
Jan I did not try to Diss you in any way We were newbies 1& 1/2 ago years ago and trying to learn as much as possible . We just don't want anyone to hurt
themselves or others with false info from a salesperson .We have been looking at tow vehicles for a while i have a 07 Sequoia V-8 which is great for almost any fiberglass RV but it is a gas hog .So my quest is for a smaller car ,truck SUV that will handle a 2500lb trailer .I'm leaning toward a truck to get a Escape 5er or their new Twin Axcel fifth wheel sometime in the future .We love the Snoozy but with Grandkids and such bigger might be better and the Canadian dollar down might be a good time to pull the trigger ?? JIm

BTW my sign in is jennykatz after my daughter This was the name of one of my boats and I keep the call sign JIM
Jennykatz I never thought you were dissing me hun. I spent most pf the afternoon looking at used trucks. Even used they are expensive LOL
Jannie442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Just to review, towing specifications are based on a lot more than just the hitch construction. Other factors include braking, driveline, stability in U.S. configuration when towing, speeds when towing in different countries etc., etc.

We usually try to keep total weight in the range of 80% of rated limit, towing at 600 lbs over specification is also about 900-1000 lbs over best practice.

Or as Sheldon might say.... Bazinga!

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:59 PM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Closer you push to limit the more stress and strain you put on the tow vehicle and yourself driving it.

Having a proper hitch set up as MC1 points out will add to stability and control. Closer you get to limits more critical that becomes.

Looks like no one else has posted the Trailer Weights in the Real World link yet so I will. These are weights from trailers weighed at rallies so they reflect real world loaded trailers.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Looks like the YouTube video put Kg as the weight unit rather than pounds for the same 2200 figure, that would more than double the capacity and may explain the different weights being reported by different sources. Weight expressed in wrong units. For 2200 if one thought it was Kilo and converted to lbs. would yield 4850 lbs.

It is a pita to have to sweat every item put into a camper because running right up on limits of what you can manage to tow. When it gets to "only load one of those two cans of...." then it is time for a larger tow or smaller camper.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #26

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Closer you push to limit the more stress and strain you put on the tow vehicle and yourself driving it.

Having a proper hitch set up as MC1 points out will add to stability and control. Closer you get to limits more critical that becomes.

Looks like no one else has posted the Trailer Weights in the Real World link yet so I will. These are weights from trailers weighed at rallies so they reflect real world loaded trailers.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Looks like the YouTube video put Kg as the weight unit rather than pounds for the same 2200 figure, that would more than double the capacity and may explain the different weights being reported by different sources. Weight expressed in wrong units. For 2200 if one thought it was Kilo and converted to lbs. would yield 4850 lbs.

It is a pita to have to sweat every item put into a camper because running right up on limits of what you can manage to tow. When it gets to "only load one of those two cans of...." then it is time for a larger tow or smaller camper.
The KG rather than LB was what I thought was correct but when I went out to my car and looked into the manual it's 2200LB. I'm waiting for some brochures from Casita to look at the Casita 13. It's a start.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #27
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie442 View Post
The KG rather than LB was what I thought was correct but when I went out to my car and looked into the manual it's 2200LB. I'm waiting for some brochures from Casita to look at the Casita 13. It's a start.
Still the confusion. We know that VW originally listed the tow rating as 2,200KG (4,500+ LBS) when they designed the vehicle. Your VW dealer stated it was good for 4,500+ LBs.

Seems to me when they wrote the manual in North America the pencil pusher probably didn't know the difference between KG's and LB's and probably just changed the KG to LBS. That makes more sense.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #28

Remember, the o.p. first stated that the "Dealer" said 5500 lbs, which is not 2200 kg converted to lbs. And then there was some mention about a Youtube video etc.

Considering that it's question about safety and liability, I would first present that theory to VWofA for a written opinion, before even thinking about venturing in that direction. Perhaps, if the o.p. mentions that they bought the Tiguan based on information provided by a specific VW dealer, it might carry a tad of weight and garner some research and a reply. If nothing else, VWofA wants to know that it's manuals are correct.

And, in defense of VWofA and Technical Writers everywhere: Companies no longer depend on "Pencil Pushers" to put in writing, information that can result in huge liabilities. And that's not to mention any potential loss of sales, something VWofA can ill afford. The art of technical writing includes the risk of incurring corporate liability from errors, and is usually well vetted. .

I might go with "may have" and do a lot of follow-up, but never "probably".

When there is confusion, go with the owners manual.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #29

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Still the confusion. We know that VW originally listed the tow rating as 2,200KG (4,500+ LBS) when they designed the vehicle. Your VW dealer stated it was good for 4,500+ LBs.

Seems to me when they wrote the manual in North America the pencil pusher probably didn't know the difference between KG's and LB's and probably just changed the KG to LBS. That makes more sense.
WOW valid point! It makes sense since the next up in line (the Toureg) can haul 7700 lbs
Old 01-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #30

Please see Post #28.....

Old 01-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #31

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Trailer manufacturers use a weight in the brochure that is a fantasy. Does not typically include most of the appliances, or propane tank. No water on board, no gear, probably without cushions even.

Use the trailer weights in the real world list as a starting point. Those are trailers as the really are, not as some basic shell unlike the brochure weight that has no relationship to what you will really be towing.

Since they all do it to some greater or lesser extent I suppose one can compare brochure to brochure but even that won't be accurate since the manufactures all decide for themselves how to arrive at the weight they publish. Helps to have a low title weight in some states when buying plates, insurance etc. so it is not all bad that the title understates the weight.

Essentially if there are "options" for the item the item is not counted in the weight. You could order 1 propane tank or two, or even none so propane tanks being variable are not counted at all. Same with bathroom, or fridge, or furnace.

They do the same with length. A camper length in brochure includes the tongue and bumper. A Scamp 13 ft. is really only a 10 ft. shell.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:18 PM   #32

Georgia
I solved my towing question. I got a new Chevy Colorado Z71! Now I feel so much safer.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:40 PM   #33

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
Q5

The Audi. Q5 HAS A TOW RATING OF 4400LB SAME 2 LITRE ENGINE SO MAYBE VW IS 4400 LB ? TIQUAN AND Q 5 LOOK LIKE THEY ARE ON SAME PLATFORM ?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:08 PM   #34

Although the o.p has solved the VW problem with another vehicle, trying to guess tow ratings by comparing engines & platforms can be very deceptive.

As an example, in the case of the 2003 2 dr Chev Blazer SUV, the tow rating varies between 2000 and 5700 lbs. all with the same engine, frame, and factory towing kit. And the most base version has the higher rating....

Old 02-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #35
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
I solved my towing question. I got a new Chevy Colorado Z71! Now I feel so much safer.
Congrats on finding a new vehicle but a word of caution.

There is a common misunderstanding about TV's which is big and heavy means safer. In some cases there is truth to that but in other cases not.

There is a blurb of a guy who test drove a Mini Van which was set up optimally, towing a dual axle TT. It towed the trailer fine. The guy assumed his full size pick up would do the same. He bought a similar trailer, "failed to connect it properly" and rolled his rig the first time out.

Point being made here is that just because you have a big heavy tow vehicle with a high tow rating don't assume you are safe. Take the necessary steps to cover all your bases.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:56 AM   #36

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Very cool - comgrats! Looks like a nice truck. Which engine did you get? Now you have an even bigger decision to make, which trailer? There a lots out there, have fun!

Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #37

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Very cool - comgrats! Looks like a nice truck. Which engine did you get? Now you have an even bigger decision to make, which trailer? There a lots out there, have fun!

Kathie
I got the 3.6LV6 engine. It also has 4x4 and towing mode and brakes built in. The manual says max trailer weight= 7000lb GCWR 12000. From that, it means no more than a 7000 lb trailer and GCWR is with added vehicle. Right?

I still plan to go small for my first trailer....no more than 3500 lb. I'm still stuck in RPod 179 or the Casita Freedom Deluxe 16. The Casita dealer sent me info on local owners and I will call for an appointment to look at theirs.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #38

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
The manual says max trailer weight= 7000lb GCWR 12000. From that, it means no more than a 7000 lb trailer and GCWR is with added vehicle. Right?
And everything in the trailer and vehicle including people, pets, cargo, full tanks of water, gas, propane, Starbucks, french fries under the seats,…
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #39

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The Casita will hold its value far better than the RPod. The Casita will tow easier, give better fuel economy (probably 14-16 mpg vs 11-13 RPod), and has a more sturdy body with far less potential leak points. Also the molded fiberglass cabinetry is much more durable than the stuff they staple together for most stickie trailers. On the other side of the equation, the RPod may cost less and may have a more eye-catching interior (assuming you like wood-look cabinets).

One other factor: do you enjoy meeting people in the campgrounds, or would you rather be ignored? People will come by and chat about your Casita and ask to look inside; with an RPod, you may get one or two curious lookers who wonder about head clearance at the curved ends, but mostly it's seen as just one more travel trailer.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #40

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
new to here

Curious why you're cross-shopping an Rpod 179 with a Casita 16'...? From what I could see on their respective websites, the Casita 17' is a closer match, size & weight-wise.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote