new to here - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #1

Name: Jan
Trailer: in the market
Georgia
new to here

Hi! I am looking to buy my first trailer. I have a VW Tiguan that can haul up to 5500 pounds so I am seriously looking at the Casita Freedom 16' or an Rpod 179. I have been camping all my life... most times off of my motorcycle. Since I can't pull a toyhauler I am looking for nice light campers. I really love the Casita but can't get a price on them new. The site doesn't list the prices. I like this site. It looks like a lot of fun folks.
Jannie442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:43 PM   #2

Name: Vinny
Trailer: Escape 19 on order
New Jersey
Call or email Casita. They will send you a sales brochure with the prices. They will also give you contact info of owners in your area willing to show their trailers. I think I used the live chat option on their website to request info, and was surprised to find an owner within 5 miles of me.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
Vw

Is that a VW Tiquan or Tourag ? The Tourig with diesel is rated for 7700lb towing and Tiquan is rated for 2200lb .I have been looking at VW for awhile I have a 5000lb boat and a 2500lb RV Snoozy . Looking to tow Snoozy not the boat What Tiquan do you have that will do 5500lb? i see the Audi Q-5 will tow 4400 lb with a 2litre 4 cylinder i believe same engine as Tiquan ? inquirng mind want to know JIm
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #4

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Jan. Check out the for sale section on this forum. Even the ones that have sold can give you a reality on the prices for used ones.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #5

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
check the height of the Casita 16... I am 5'10" or so and wouldn't consider anything I have to be stooped over in unless it was free lol.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:24 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As this is primarily a Molded Fiberglass RV site you won't find many Rpod owners or much support for any sticky, as they are called, hereabouts. You can check on irv2.com for them though.

But it does seem like the dealers may be (pardon the phrase) dumping them at drastically reduced prices, something you never see in FGRV's. There must be some message there. Here's an example I saw at random:
2015 Forest River R-pod r-pod East RP-179 Stock: 3462 | The Outpost RV

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #7

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
Is that a VW Tiquan or Tourag ? The Tourig with diesel is rated for 7700lb towing and Tiquan is rated for 2200lb .I have been looking at VW for awhile I have a 5000lb boat and a 2500lb RV Snoozy . Looking to tow Snoozy not the boat What Tiquan do you have that will do 5500lb? i see the Audi Q-5 will tow 4400 lb with a 2litre 4 cylinder i believe same engine as Tiquan ? inquirng mind want to know JIm
I went specifically to the VW Dealer and they looked it up in the book.It is a Tiguan like I said and it does 5500 It is not diesel.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:53 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
Vw

If that Tiquan is a 5500lb tow rating that would be Great or is that GVWR Gross vehicle weight restriction .I was looking it up on Trailer boats and it said 2200 towing and it weighs 3300lb which =5500lb .I will go to VW this week and find out I hope your right .
They will be coming out with a diesel tiquan sometime 2015-2016 ??
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:41 PM   #9

Manufacturers towing limits is about the most discussed single topic on this site.

What we have learned is what the dealer sez is always open to question and verification from another source. Often what they said, if incorrect, will be denied at the wrong time. They are not considered an unimpeachable source.

And, no one else agrees with your dealer. Here's a link addressing the question: VWVortex.com - Tiguan tow capacity? North America Vs The rest of the world

The correct source of information is what's in the owners manual for your specific vehicle.
All that said, if you don't have a manual , or if the figure doesn't seem to be there, contact VW of America with your VIN and get a definitive answer.
"Accidently" towing at some 3000 lbs over limit is a very serious issue.
And, BTW: Figures for European models don't count in the USofA.
Good Luck and let us know what you find.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #10

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
If that Tiquan is a 5500lb tow rating that would be Great or is that GVWR Gross vehicle weight restriction .I was looking it up on Trailer boats and it said 2200 towing and it weighs 3300lb which =5500lb .I will go to VW this week and find out I hope your right .
They will be coming out with a diesel tiquan sometime 2015-2016 ??
hI Jenny I hope I wasn't steered wrong either. I love the Tiguan. It had a wide base and the back seats fold down flat. I bought it because I did 14000 mile across America in a Jetta and wished I had something I could crawl in the back and sleep in. Traded it for the Tiguan.
If you folks find out they told me wrong, I'll look for a F150 of comparable Chevy used

Oh...and found this: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...torture-thread
Old 01-26-2015, 10:53 AM   #11

In regards "hazy450" mentioned in the above link:

Yep, ya gotta love those that do whatever they want, without concern for themselves much less others around them.

Without even addressing the issue of safety. I'll bet that hazy450 didn't ask his insurance company about what effect towing well over limit might have on his insurance coverage, or his lawyer about what liability he might be opening himself and family to if he had an accident while towing in that condition. And, after all that, there is the issue, in his case of being in the military, of UCMJ Section 134 and what they would do when the civil peeps were done with him. As was mentioned in the replies, in picking up a speeding ticket along the way, he wasn't showing the greatest respect for the law, much less common sense.

Also add in, hazy450 knew that he had to lie to the people at U-Haul by telling them that he had a different vehicle than he actually had as he must have known that they wouldn't rent that trailer to him if they knew it's towing limit was so low. Who knows, he may even have had to go to several U-Haul dealers before he pulled that one off.....

Bottom Line: Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do something or as Mom said, "If hazy450 jumped off the bridge, would you also jump off the bridge?".

And what does the owners manual for your specific vehicle say about towing limits?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #12

Specifications?????

Quote:
"If you folks find out they told me wrong, I'll look for a F150 of comparable Chevy used"
BTW: It's not up to a web site to find out if you were incorrectly told about towing specifications.. We have already made that clear from the information available to us.

Now it's up to you to take that information and verify which is correct for your vehicle.

But, no need to sell what is an excellent vehicle, as there are many FGRV's that you can safely tow with a 2200 lb towing limit, they just aren't as big as you mentioned.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #13

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
check the height of the Casita 16... I am 5'10" or so and wouldn't consider anything I have to be stooped over in unless it was free lol.
Just talked to the Casita guy and he said my Tiguan could haul any of their trailers. He also mentioned that Toureg's can haul 7000! Didn't know that.
I'm looking at the Freedom Deluxe 16' and it's only 5'10" interior height. I'm only 5'6" so that's fine for me.

GVWR Manual 4784 lb 2170 kg N/A
Automatic 4806 lb 2180 kg 4960 lb 2250 kg
Just copied that from the specs.
I don't own a Toureg I just mentioned that.
I came in here to learn and not to be put down because I'm new. I have several friends who are full timers in RV's and I just wanted to get one to travel -safely- around the US.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #14

Here we go again.... The "Casita Guy" is in the business of selling trailers, not being certain that your vehicle is safe to tow them. Ask him if he will give you a signed statement, signed by an officer of his company, to that effect. And don't forget to add at least 500 lbs to their shipping weight for your stuff.
And what does your owners manual say about towing limits? You don't seem to want to tell us that information....

Unfortunately a lot of newbies get on the site seeking support for decisions that are incorrect. As you will see, that just doesn't happen hereabouts.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #15
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Good day Jan... The T-Regs and Tiguans are great vehicles and have proven themselves as very good tow vehicles.

I see the Tig has a 1,200lb payload rating. That is impressive It is intersting to note that some full size pickups are rated just a shade over that amount. I believe it was a Dodge Ram 1500 that was rated at just 1,325 just a few years ago.

Hope you find the trailer you want. Just remember the hookup/connection is what you need to get right and is most important. Brakes on the trailer is also recommended and in many cases can double the tow rating.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #16

Name: Walter
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Just looked on WV.ca

Tiguan max towing ( brakes req) 998Kg (all models in 2015)

Touareg max towing ( brakes req) 3500Kg ( all models 2015)

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
EcoHeliGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #17
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie442 View Post
I went specifically to the VW Dealer and they looked it up in the book.It is a Tiguan like I said and it does 5500 It is not diesel.
There is always a bunch of confusion with tow ratings when it comes to vehicles based off shore. On my first google search Jan's number seem close.
Attached Thumbnails
vw tig 003.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #18

As MC1 mentioned, having trailer brakes often results in a higher tow rating and many mfgs. show separate ratings for with and without trailer brakes.

But those that show a single value are an absolute value, and cannot arbitrarily be doubled just because a trailer has brakes.

And unless you are towing in Europe with a European version, those ratings don't count either. No confusion there..... unless a dealer or seller tries to foist them off on you as being correct.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:32 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
VW.com site http://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/...re-Digital.pdf

Shows 2200 lbs braked, with optional tow package.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #20

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
VW.com site http://www.vw.com/content/dam/vwcom/...re-Digital.pdf

Shows 2200 lbs braked, with optional tow package.
Thank you for your help. The you tube video said 2200KG but since then I wnet back into my manual and found 2200 LB also. I will get a smaller RV if I want to keep the SUV. Appreciate your kindness