New to me 1986 Scamp 16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 1986 Scamp 16
Colorado
New to me 1986 Scamp 16

Hi everyone, I'm Aaron. My dad and I just purchased a scamp 16. We have been in the market for one about 6 months and finally found one, really happy it was located in Denver and I didn't have to take a road trip to get it. It's in pretty good shape, but needs a good going over to make sure everything works well. Then I'll get it winterized and covered for the winter and figure out some trip plans for the upcoming year. Just wanted to say hi and post a picture. I'll definitely be picking your brains about upgrades and maintenance questions. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1413934095.500918.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	77923

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Aaronlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Welcome! Looks like the Scamp needs some East-West travel to fill the map in, although it is pretty well traveled already! I would inspect the axle, that looks like maybe the original and it may be toast. Plenty of threads on it on the site. The adventure is just beginning, good luck!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #3

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 1986 Scamp 16
Colorado
Just so I can get an idea how much does an axle usually cost to replace?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Aaronlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
The axle landed on my driveway was $655 from Scamp. To tell the truth I went probably the most expensive route ordering from Scamp and having it shipped from Minnesota to Florida. That added at least $200 but I was in a time constraint and did not want to mess around. More research, and careful shopping/negotiating might get you an axle for closer to $400, plus labor of course. I had the tools and skills necessary to remove the old axle and install the new myself. One issue, the new axle is 5 lug so new rims were required, and that is a good time to get new tires also.

I lucked out finding a free “donut spare” from some car that fits so only had to buy two tires and rims at around $85 each. I went with pre-mounted "boat trailer" tires on galvanized rims from WalMart. Might not be the best tires but I like the rims and again, I was in a time crunch to get going on a pre-planned, week-long vacation at the beach. Oh, forgot one more thing, new lug nuts. I bought some good chrome plated ones off Amazon for $15. Had to wait a bit as the “Trailer 10 Pack” of the lug nuts I wanted was back-ordered a little. Over all I am very pleased even though as I say a little more planning, lead time, and careful shopping could have saved me a little money. The important thing is TO GO CAMPING, and we have certainly done that and enjoyed the Scamp a lot already.

I will add one piece of advice if you are going to have any welding done like replacing the axle. Go ahead and add a ¼” or 3/16"X1 ½” flat strap to the full length of both bottom sides of the front “A” part of the frame. I recently discovered my frame cracked (mostly clean through) just back under the shell on the left (Driver’s) side. This area had been previously reinforced but they had not gone back far enough and it cracked right behind the previous work. I recommend while somebody is under there cutting and welding anyway you add this simple (and should be relatively cheap) insurance, if your frame has not already cracked. This is not necessarily a design flaw, the frame is just thin (11 gauge) metal and fatigues over time. I speculate that this area flexes a lot and tends to sag (bow down), collect water at the low point inside and rust from the inside out. This is what I saw on mine as it was eating clean through along the bottom.

More than you asked for but I hope this helps.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Welcome to FGRV

Some people recommend not covering your trailer during the winter because the wind will cause wear where the cover touches the egg.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp