New to me Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 08:35 AM   #1

Name: Mando
Trailer: Scamp
California
New to me Scamp

Hi all,

I recently purchased a brand new (for me) 1981 Scamp 13 and am new new to this site. I have to say that i (having no experience) find that it is in very good shape. Its quite well equipped making for a nice camping experience. It has a stove, 3-way fridge, furnace, and a pump for the water, no grey water holding tank, and i believe its a 12 or so gallon fresh water tank. Best of all, so far, it all works!

I managed to clean the ensolite walls to my satisfaction, re-upholster the seats, and paint the cabinet doors, wheels, rear bumper, and tongue area. I have to say that i looks much

I'm still working on getting it up to speed so that it will last me another 35 years (hopefully) !

Few things on my list are:
  • Re-align door. It seems that one of the previous owners lowered the door strike plate to accomodate the fact that the door has lowered.
  • Buff the trailer to bring back the shine. I'm planning to use Meguiars fiberglass restorer system. It's well rated on Amazon but i suppose the proof will be in the pudding.
  • Re-grease or replace the wheel bearings.

If anyone has tips on any item i listed or anything in general i would greatly appreciate it!! Also, our tow vehicle is a rav4. We have towed with no problems but wanted to see what you all thought of it in the long run?

I'll post some photos a little later.

Thank you all!
scampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Mando, you'll get a lot of info from folks here. The best things to do first are check/repack the wheel bearings, check the tire dates as after four years or so they should be replaced and make sure the tail/brake lights are working. The rest is cake .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #3

California
Thanks Borrego Dave.
I did go through and checked the lights, luckily they all worked. I also went ahead and replaced them with LEDs to reduce the load on the Rav4. As far as the bearings, can I buy those from any auto parts store or do I have to go through scamp?
Old 05-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
FGRV member Ian G. sells a hinge rebuild kit. Here's a link: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ore-71926.html

As long as the main hinge pieces are still solidly attached to door and shell, this might solve your alignment problem.

Unless you have the V6/tow package on your RAV4, I believe it's rated for 1500 pounds. That's pretty marginal for many 13'ers. I'd do a couple of things: (1) Weigh your trailer witMh everything you normally bring (including stuff you carry in the back of the vehicle). (2) Check with your mechanic about adding an auxiliary transmission cooler.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #5

California
I saw this post before and went ahead and ordered the parts from scamp. Are the parts from scamp similar to the parts Ian sells? I haven't installed them so I'm not sure if it'll fix the problem bit we'll soon find out. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #6

California
Regarding the rav 4, it's a 4 cylinder without a tow package. I'll check on a transmission cooler though.

I towed the trailer up a steep road at lower speeds and it seemed to be doing just fine. I know I'm pushing but have to believe the Rav4 is better suited (power wise and braking) for towing than the pickup's of the 80s and early 90s that were rated at 3500. Any thoughts on this? Any other things I should look out for?

All things considered, I know there are much better vehicle out there for towing this thing. But am thinking that if a car can tow a scamp, the rav4 should be able to as well. Right?

Any idea what the trailer might weigh dry with the options included?
Old 05-17-2016, 05:25 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
As your rig is an '81 it may also be about ready for a new axle. If so, you may want to consider adding brakes as you are towing with a light tug.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #8

California
Brakes would be nice. How can I check if the axle needs to be replaced? Any recommendations on a new axle with brakes?
Old 05-17-2016, 05:48 PM   #9

California
I just want to thank you all for the recommendations given this far. I truly appreciate it. If I'm missing anything, please let me know. And yes, I know I still owe you all pictures.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:13 PM   #10

California
Here's a pic of the "new" trailer the day we pulled it home.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
...you may want to consider adding brakes as you are towing with a light tug.
Agree!

Regarding the hinge repair kit, Ian's uses higher quality parts, so it will last longer, but the Scamp kit will accomplish the same thing, and if you keep it lubricated, you should get a number of years' use.

As to empty weight, there are really too many variables to say. I'd be surprised if it were less than 1300 pounds, assuming a full propane tank and battery on the tongue and all the appliances you listed. But there's only one "weigh" to be sure...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp