New to RVing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: New to RVing
Florida
New to RVing

Hello!

I'm new to the RV world but completely fascinated. Last Christmas we rented one for a week to get the feel and fell in love. We also travel extensively by car for work, and we have to slow down for a closer look every time we pass one on the highway. As time and finances allow, we are now looking at purchasing an RV.

From a design/maintenance perspective, I love the molded fiberglass units. . . they seem to solve a number of issues I worry about. So now it's a matter of narrowing down the choices. Any suggestions or recommendations would be welcomed!

A few criteria currently on the table:

• There are two of us, so a double bed is tight but do-able.
• I am 6'3" so head/leg room in important.
• I have limited towing experience, so something lighter/easier is great.
• We will purchase a towing vehicle based on the RV we select.

Huge thanks for any pointers, and we're looking forward to seeing you all at an RV rally soon!

Bill
VuMastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I have a pointer...
...buy my EggCamper!

Meant to be funny, but not completely in jest. Just today we put down a deposit on a new Escape, so we will soon post our 17' EggCamper for sale - (and we conveniently live in Florida).
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
FG campers with queen bed and plus 6 foot ceilings are:

1. Escape
  2. EggCamper
  3. Casita 17 foot
  4. Parkliner
  5. Lil Snoozy
  6. ......

C'mon eggheads, help me fill out the list.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Scamp 16' head room inside is 6' 3" and the Bigfoot 17'5" is 6' 4" - neither has a queen bed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #5

Florida
Thanks to all for the quick responses. The rest of my morning has been spent reading through the forums. Also came up with:

Bigfoot
Trillium
Scamp
Airstream (not fiberglass, but I can dream)

And Ray, I appreciate the offer (and the Egg looks like a top choice for us), but too soon to afford.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Photo Tour of a Lil Snoozy....................

Depending on which maker is dependent on personal needs and wants.
The Snoozy fits mine for the time being......

Backyard Photo Shoot

And, to the Forum.
Searching and getting headaches choosing is part of the fun.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Here is a discussion on interior heights:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...hts-61136.html
Pay particular attention to Donna's link to an earlier discussion, which also has a link to bed sizes:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ear-36840.html
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #8

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Hi Bill,

Most of the manufacturers maintain lists of owners willing to show their trailers. That would be a good start, but the best place to get a feel for the different trailers would be a rally. Rally season is almost over, but depending on your buying timeframe, if you could get to one of the bigger meet-ups, you would see them "as they appear in nature"

Rick
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #9

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
I have a Trillium1300. It has no roof-top A/C, only vent. Before doing a total over-haul modification, I separate the shell from frame thinking I could put the shell ONLY(on a piece of plywood with 3/4 inches thickness and dolly with tiny steel wheels)into the garage but it turned out I could not. My garage door is measured with 7feet +....Now after outdoor modification finished, it is stored out-door in a paved drive way. Just my...story...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #10

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Here is the Trillium1300 and...the garage in the back ground...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG132.jpg  
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Bill,
Welcome to FGRV and our little world. Being new there is one rule you will learn but for your benefit you are being told now, if the opportunity comes up to purchase a fiberglass trailer and it is within a days drive and you want one, buy it, do not hesitate. The reason is there are so few of these ever available at any time. First off though, you need to look at some. contact Escape and EggCamper and Casita and they can put you in touch with someone that has one. Also look here on the forum for rallies within your tri state area, that is a good way to meet and see the units in person- check here Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Upcoming) - Fiberglass RV
Old 09-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Bill, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

IMHO interior trailer height is less important compared to comfortable sleeping. There's lots of tall people perfectly happy with teardrops! You'll end up spending a whole lot less time standing up inside a trailer than you do laying down sleeping. So... pay attention to bed sizes! YMMV.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #13

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Welcome!
We have a Trillium and I thought I'd tell you about our 'alternate' sleeping arrangement. As 'mature' people with the usual assortment of health and agility issues we found it difficult to climb over a partner to get out of bed. Hubby decided that the front couch would suit him just fine. He removed the back (that forms the upper bunk), bought a bit of memory foam and sleeps well. The main bed is bigger than I need so we opt for storage boxes for clothes and varius oddments on the mattress along the back.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
EggCamper does have a very tall interior but it does not have a queen size bed. A full-size is as wide as it will take. It would take a longer mattress as the full leaves about 6 inches at each end.

It is very easy to tow. I had never towed anything before I bought the trailer and I have towed it over 14,000 miles in the last 18 months.
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #15

Florida
Wow... some amazing info from everyone. You guys (and gals) are awesome! And Carl, I had looked at your backyard shoot earlier and it's the first time I had seen a Lil' Snoozy. Now you've got me very curious!

The bed situation we're trying at home (sleeping a few nights on a full, queen, etc.) and seeing if both of us fit with two doxies who tend to stretch at all hours.

Our buying plan is likely Spring-ish 2014, which gives me plenty of time to analyze, re-analyze, and over-analyze. Glad I found this place!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #16

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
[QUOTE=Ms. Gayle;420338]EggCamper does have a very tall interior but it does not have a queen size bed. A full-size is as wide as it will take. It would take a longer mattress as the full leaves about 6 inches at each end.

We sleep a different way, so the width of our bed is the full width of the camper. The tricky part is my husband "extends" his legroom by using the dining seat with both seat cushions stacked on it and it is level with the mattress. There is a gap in the middle so we both can get in or out of bed, and then on my side, I also extend with a small fold-up table and the other two back cushions from the dining seats. We like the look of it, the roominess and the fact that he doesn't have to crawl over me to get out.
(Pic is posted in my Album)
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #17

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Here is the pic, although we've added more pillows😉
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #18

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
When to Buy

Our buying plan is likely Spring-ish 2014, which gives me plenty of time to analyze, re-analyze, and over-analyze. Glad I found this place![/QUOTE]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind that prices for pre-owned units are currently on the way down, to bottom out in Feb. Come spring they will, as always, head back up.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #19

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Bill
Old 09-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #20

Florida
Letitia,

I was wondering if that was a possibility. If the height works, it would save a LOT of crawling over each other.

Thanks, too, for everyone else's generous advice and warm welcome!

Bill

Tags
vin