New to the forums! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #1

Name: Stacey
Trailer: In the market
Louisiana
New to the forums!

Hi! I’m new to the forums. I don’t currently own a camper, but have been researching small campers for a while (want something I can pull with my 2019 Outback).

The main ones I’ve looked at thus far are the Scamp, and A-liner Ascape. I just want to find the lightest thing possible that will hold a couple of adults and maybe a small child, or just an adult and a couple children.

I’m hoping to just learn a lot more about campers overall, and maybe find the one that will be right for me.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:29 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Welcome
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:33 AM   #3

Name: Stacey
Trailer: In the market
Louisiana
Thank you!
Old 04-15-2020, 10:12 AM   #4

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
If you haven't already, you need to establish how much you can tow. Your car should have a door sticker that gives towing maximum and payload. Payload will include the tongue weight of the trailer plus passengers and whatever else you load in the car. Payload is where many vehicles fall short. Once you have that figured, you can check this thread https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...rld-43010.html and narrow down your choices. Good luck!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I believe the 2019 Outback can tow 2700# with a tongue weight limit of 200#. The latter is the limiting factor, since travel trailers require 10-12% tongue weight for stable (sway-free) towing. So, you need a trailer with a fully loaded weight of 2000# or less. In the world of small molded fiberglass trailers that means a 13'er.

Bath or no-bath is the question. With more than two people, you'll want the no-bath, front bunk version. Since you may have little ones, know that Scamp does provide a convenient storage compartment under the front bunks for a small porta-potty for nighttime emergencies.

With reasonable attention packing you can keep the loaded weight of a Scamp 13 or similar in the 1500-1700# range. That includes a fridge and A/C, which you'll probably want in Louisiana and thereabouts, but not a full bath and shower.

Scamp is the budget brand, but Happier Camper, Relic, and Armadillo also make 13'ers with the ability to sleep three. If you shop used, there are also many out-of-production 13'ers that fit the bill at a range of prices. A careful inspection is essential with a used unit (by yourself or a local RV shop).

The A-liner folding trailers are nice, too, but for convenient set-up and take-down (especially in the rain and wind), snugness in bad weather, and resale value, my own opinion is that egg trailers can't be beat!

Best wishes in your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New to the forums!

Forgot to mention trailer brakes. Essential for your vehicle. We’ve been hearing reports of issues connecting conventional wired brake controllers to late model Outbacks. Scamp offers the trailer-mounted Autowbrake system as an alternative. The Autowbrake can also be ordered directly from the manufacturer if you buy a used Scamp or other trailer.

Will you be doing the trailer wiring yourself or hiring it out? It’s good to have a robust charging line to the trailer, too, to recharge the battery and/or run a fridge on 12V when towing. Not all vehicles can support both.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote