New to trailer camping, excited for the summer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
New to trailer camping, excited for the summer

Hi everyone,

It's been 16 years since I've gone camping. I used to go once a month when I was younger even during the winter. I'm an eagle scout that sort of lost touch with the wilderness. Sure I've still gone hiking, skiing, and more recently got back into mountain biking, but 16 years since I've stayed at a campsite. This year's resolution is to do more camping and get out of the house for weekends with my wife and dogs.

After searching for a while for a used lightweight vintage trailer that wasn't too far away, I finally gave up and decided to order a new 16' Scamp. Sure it isn't vintage, but it has a quirky look that will match perfectly with my quirky truck. I've spent the last year getting the truck ready for towing. It's small and a little low on power, but we won't be in a rush.

Anyway, I joined the site hoping to find tips on camping in a FG TT. I put the deposit down on the camper this morning but I still have to pick out the final options when the brochure comes in (Apparently their website is out of date).

Oh, and photos of the quirky truck...

~ Chris
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to FGRV. Great looking truck, and I'm sure the combo will really stand out from the crowd.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #3

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Love the truck. It will look great towing that new Scamp. I've been looking for a vintage truck for a long time. Its fun looking. Happy trails!
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Chris, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here.

Ordering a new trailer, exciting for you! Do you know when the hatching will occur?

Let us know if you have any questions, lots of kind and knowledgeable folks here.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #5

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Very cool truck ! Nicely done, and for sure, we don't see those on every street corner. What year is that ? '74 or so ?
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #6

New Hampshire
Close, it's a 75 (identical to the 74 except for the final drive ratio). It's got a 13B rotary. It's not a matching VIN number block but its the appropriate vintage and manufacturer refurbished (long story short, its an old motor with less than 5,000 miles on it).

As for the trailer. Hatch date is the week of June 17th and it should arrive a week or so later to our home in NH. I'd drive to pick it up but my wife is a teacher and she'll still be in school. That would be a lonely 50 hour round trip drive.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My dad helped me get a new car while I was in college, back in '78. I pushed for a RX-7, but he picked out a GLC for me. Guess I have nothing to complain about though. I never knew they put a Wankel into any pickups.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #8

New Hampshire
They also put them in station wagons too...

Old 04-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Good luck with that. I hope it has more low-end power than my 81 RX7 did. It was about as gutless a car as I've ever owned - I can't imagine that engine being any good for towing.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #10

New Hampshire
Well the 12A in your RX-7 was severely hindered by the emissions equipment of the day not to mention tall gearing for fuel economy.

12A RX-7 - 100hp, 105tq, final drive 3.9
13B REPU - 110hp, 117tq, final drive 4.33

The 74 REPU actually had a 4.66 final drive. I could probably get my hands on the parts to swap but I'd also have to figure out the speedometer too.