New-to-us Burro!!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #1

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Arizona
Registry
New-to-us Burro!!!!

We finally found the right trailer for us: a 1998 14' Burro widebody. We are very excited about our new purchase and look forward to taking it out on a weekend camping trip in the near future.

What do you all do when you get a 'new', used trailer?

So far we are planning on the obvious, cleaning inside and out. Probably using something like 3M Restorer on the exterior.
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #2

Arizona
Registry
Also I would like to do something about the dim tale lights. My Hubby drove the tow vehicle and I followed behind. I could barely tell when he was breaking due to how dim they were.

I am worried we are going to get rear-ended if we don't switch them to LED lights or something.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina in AZ View Post
Also I would like to do something about the dim tale lights. My Hubby drove the tow vehicle and I followed behind. I could barely tell when he was breaking due to how dim they were.

I am worried we are going to get rear-ended if we don't switch them to LED lights or something.

Any suggestions?

Clean the inside of the lens and replace the bulbs might and easy solution.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Have the bearing packed, axel checked and clean. Then get out there and enjoy! Take pic's and post them, we love to see pictuers here.....

Congrat's!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you Tina. A wide-body 14' Burro is a bit unusual, so yes please... post pictures!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
First time attaching pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spring 2012 260.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	46260

Name:	Spring 2012 264.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	46261

Name:	Spring 2012 265.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	46262

Name:	Spring 2012 266.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	46263
Old 05-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
We love that the full size bed is 7.5 ft long. I am also excited that the front dinette will give me 'counter space' without having to put our bed up each morning.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Clean the inside of the lens and replace the bulbs might and easy solution.
I did not even think to do that. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #9

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
very nice trailer, tina!!! with it being all white inside, it's very bright and clean-looking. you got a good one...enjoy!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Have fun with your new trailer.

I ended up changing out the whole taillight on my old scamp to LED taillights due to the too DIM issue and having more than one mad driver yell at me for not using my turn signal when I in fact had.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #11

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Got your big bro; '98 17WB. Yours looks like a good egg in great shape inside and out!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #12

Name: Laura
Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Utah
Congratulations! Just think of all the fun you'll have in it!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:

Any suggestions?
Here's a great solution to the dim tail light dilemma: 7" Round Led Red Tail/Turn/Stop Light
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
My hubby changed ours over to LED to increase the light. It helped a lot. They still are not what one would wish, but the issue is the age of the covers now, I think.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #15

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Condition of brakes and wheel bearings is a very good thing to know. Few things can leave you in a more desperate situation than a breakdown due to overheated bearings. There are so many "system" things that need or will need attention and periodic or seasonal maintenance. To cross reference the pot hanger which you asked about on another thread, you can sometimes do some exploration in a Burro (under the sink, at the back of lockers, thru external vents, at fan openings with the interior trim bezel removed) to determine roughly what space you have between inner and outer shells. I'd say it runs the range of 1 to 3". Nice as it is to be able to do remedial or addon wiring inside that cavity rather than under "rat fur" or in surface wiring channels, the insulation can hamper the ease with which you can get a wire snake between one location and another.

I don't have major maintenance tips but here's a very useful minor one. Your rig appears fron the pictures to be in excellent condition. It is ONLY 14 yrs. old. Never assume that yours is the MOST deteriorated trailer on the planet. Many things that look bad are mostly grunge and inevitable superficial wear. Let's say you get a minor window leak. DO NOT automatically assume that you must remove and rebed windows because others are doing so or recommending doing so. I had a persistent minor leak from the rear slider window in our Burro. I got it only during heavy rains. I got tired of folding the memory foam mattress and piling cushions to the opposite side of the trailer. It finally occured to me that shrinkage at the lower mitre in the gasket material on the fixed pane might be introducing a rather large and continuous sheet of water into the drain channel. Retrofit with new gasket would be the optimum solution of course but I resorted to a bit of leftover butyl rubber putty tape pressed into the gap and later color matched to the black gasket and window frame w/ MagicMarker. Our rains have come about a month later than usual this spring and I have not had a drop of water inside in May. I don't recommend "quick and dirty" but sometimes you can finesse with "cheap and cheerful." Hope you folks enjoy your Burro.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #16

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Beautiful trailer Tina! Very bright and cheery. Let the camping begin!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Quote:

Any suggestions?
Hello and welcome!
There are a couple on this forum that sells (or used to sell) LED taillights for a very reasonable price. I can't recall thier names but if I come across them (If Donna doesn't beat me to it I'll reply to your/this post.

My wife said the same thing about the taillights on our 85 Scamp when she followed me up to set up our ATV base Camp in Northern Michigan.

Since it is on a permanent site, I havn't addressed it just yet but I will before I move it. Guaranteed!
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Hello and welcome!
There are a couple on this forum that sells (or used to sell) LED taillights for a very reasonable price. I can't recall thier names but if I come across them (If Donna doesn't beat me to it I'll reply to your/this post.

My wife said the same thing about the taillights on our 85 Scamp when she followed me up to set up our ATV base Camp in Northern Michigan.

Since it is on a permanent site, I havn't addressed it just yet but I will before I move it. Guaranteed!
The Names are Deb and Chuck and had I read all the posts, I would have seen that Donna had already posted. Thanks Donna and sorry to waste space. --->shutting up now
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Here's a great solution to the dim tail light dilemma: 7" Round Led Red Tail/Turn/Stop Light
Got those ones from Chuck and they work great!!! Never would have taken my trailer on the highway on a winter trip this year without them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #20

Arizona
Registry
Those 7" round tail lights look great!

However, our current tail lights are about 8.5"x4.5" rectangles. They are recessed into the back of the trailer. So I think we are going to need that same size.

I have yet to find any online to match what I need.

Tags
burro