New UHaul Owners, the rPad2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2011, 06:17 AM   #1

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
New UHaul Owners, the rPad2

Posted earlier this week that we had purchased Mike and Bonnie's '85 Uhaul CT. Adventure began when Greg took Hyundai up to UHaul to have hitch installed. Young guys there did not believe him when he said he was going to pull a UHaul Camper with it, they had never heard of one. Actually, we hadn't either until we joined FGRV. Anyway, the owner of several SC UHaul stores came in and he was so excited about our purchase. He asked to bring it up to the store so he could post pictures on their website. Geesh, we hadn't even picked it up and it was already infamous!

If anyone is interested, I will share our continuing saga as new owners. We have officially named her, "rPad2"
(i.e.- 'our new second home').

We have been running back and forth to Lowes for every cleaning product ever mentioned on FGRV and she already has a nickname. The cell calls to hubby go something like this: "Greg, which aisle are you in? Don't forget to buy Bar Keeper's Friend for PADDY!"

We are having great fun. Today, making new curtains, I'm turning into the Martha Stewert of camper decor.
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:05 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
"If anyone is interested, I will share our continuing saga as new owners. We have officially named her, "rPad2"
(i.e.- 'our new second home')."

Congratulations!

And yes, share the "saga"!!! But don't forget the pictures!!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Absolutely! We want to hear more. We had a broken hub in Montana a few years ago and were able to get a new one from a Uhaul dealer who used to fix them when Uhaul dealers were allowed to keep parts. He had been in the business for 30 years, even when they were renting out all kinds of things. His lot still had a boat that had been rented. He had never seen one, so we have standing orders to stop there with ours when next we are through that way.

Have fun decorating. That is fun. Ours has a SW theme with a trim of blue, since our previous camper, the Burro, had been done in blue. We did not want to buy a new screenhouse.

Walmart sells a FirstUp that we set up beside our Uhaul with the screens. Then the side against the camper is tied up, so we have a whole other room. We spend most of our time there when the weather is good.

CindyL

PS: Happily, you were not accused of stealing it by the dealer like one other Uhaul owner was. He was afraid to take his out after that. Luckily for him, someone on Uhaulcamper.com had paperwork proving the sale of the fleet.
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Jane, we were just camping in four different campgrounds in SC this past week, now in GA. Will probably stop at Huntington Beach campground for a couple days when we head back north later this month.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob
Jane, we were just camping in four different campgrounds in SC this past week, now in GA. Will probably stop at Huntington Beach campground for a couple days when we head back north later this month.
Bob and Mary - Greg and I would love to have you stop by Columbia on your way back up north. We would like to see your camper and meet you too. Less than half a mile from us is Sesquicenntennial State Park with campsites. Might be fun to have a two camper UHaul Rally. I am sewing window curtains this morning. Obsessed with fixing up rPad 2 . We are planning our first camping adventure next weekend, going to head Augusta, Ga. Thanks for responding. Jane and Greg
Old 12-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #6

New York
Jane, Thanks for the invitation and we certainly would like to meet you both and compare campers. Unfortunately, Columbia is a little to far off our planned route back north. We plan on staying at Jekyll Island another week or so, then maybe a night or two on Tybee Island so we can tour Savannah, then back to Huntington Beach a couple nights, on to Virginia Beach and then home in time for Xmas with the grandkids. Normally we do go by Columbia on our trips to Jekyll every April, but don't bring a camper for that trip as we rent a house. We'll meet someday, we're thinking we will do this trip with the camper again and for a longer time. Mary & Bob
Old 12-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #7

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob
Jane, Thanks for the invitation and we certainly would like to meet you both and compare campers. Unfortunately, Columbia is a little to far off our planned route back north. We plan on staying at Jekyll Island another week or so, then maybe a night or two on Tybee Island so we can tour Savannah, then back to Huntington Beach a couple nights, on to Virginia Beach and then home in time for Xmas with the grandkids. Normally we do go by Columbia on our trips to Jekyll every April, but don't bring a camper for that trip as we rent a house. We'll meet someday, we're thinking we will do this trip with the camper again and for a longer time. Mary & Bob
Have safe travels, and yes, we will look forward to meeting sometime. We had rain today, had covered our camper with a tarp, while we were gone it blew off and our new, never slept in memory foam bed is wet wet wet. All the windows leaked. Wondering hoe long it will take to dry out. We are doing the first camp out this weekend, guess it's better we found out about the leaks before we went. Guess I will read the leak threads tonight. Hoping you have had good camping. Jane
Old 12-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #8

New York
Uhaul windows are noted for leaking and ours certainly do. There is some info on here that was posted by Bridget T that tells how to overhaul the windows. She also provides the info on what parts are needed and where to get them. As a quick fix, we bought a Shelterlogic canopy from Northern Tool and have it over the trailer now. I also bought the stick on RV Gutter from Camping World and put it over the windows to channel away water that runs off the top of the trailer when it is not under the canopy. The gutter seems to help limit leakage. We plan on replacing the rear window as it is in real bad shape, still researching where to get one at the best price. We had a little rain here earlier today, now it's gotten cold but we are keeping warm with an electric heater. The exact point of leaking is hard to determine, check the drain slots on the bottoms of the side windows. I thought I had sealed the front window good with "flowable" silicone that I got at an auto parts store but it still leaks some. Apparently the only solution is to pull the windows out and use new rubber gaskets on the side windows and butyl tape on the front and rear as they use a clamp ring to hold them in and the side windows use a rubber gasket with a lock strip. A trick we use with our teardrop camper to overcome water leakage around the door hinge when towing in the rain is we have a blue tarp under the foam mattress, and pull it up over top when it is raining. We do it with the Uhaul too, and also stuff a towel below the windows to absorb water. Bob
Old 12-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jane, did I somehow miss welcoming you to FiberglassRV? Gosh I hope not, but if I did... WELCOME, you'll find lots of kind, helpful people on this molded fiberglass towable forum
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #10

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
After completely replacing the rubber around my UHaul's side windows, I still experienced some leakage. So I fabricated small plastic gutters to place INSIDE below the side windows, and put strips of sponge in them. Whatever leakage we got, the sponges caught everything and I could just wring 'em out over the sink.

Strangely, after a year or so the window leakage eventually cured itself - but I still keep sponges in the gutters just in case...
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Jack,
My guess is that crud and dead bugs filled up the tiny leak holes! We still get a tiny leak under the rear window, but usually AFTER I have thoroughly washed the trailer for a trip starting each spring. It stops within a week or so of traveling. I think I must disturb the normal accumulation of crud.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13
North Carolina
Jane,
I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with "leaks". We just camped in the camper the last week of October in Hendersonville, NC. There was a steady downpour one of the days, and the next day it just drizzled. We never saw any of the windows leaking. The only problem that we experienced, was that it was 30 degrees outside, and 70 degrees inside, so the glass in the windows would sweat. We also noticed that changes in weather from cold to warmer would cause it to have condensation on the inside walls. Something we did was, we bought a big tote with locking handles, and after every trip we washed and dried the bedding, and stored it in the tote for the next trip. We were being totally honest with you when we told you that we have never seen it leak. Again, I am sorry to hear that you are having problems. I hope you are able to remedy the situation easily.
Mike in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Welcome to FGRV

Cute name, however, you might be confused with the r-Pod:

R-Pod Ultra Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #14

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC
Jane,
I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with "leaks". We just camped in the camper the last week of October in Hendersonville, NC. There was a steady downpour one of the days, and the next day it just drizzled. We never saw any of the windows leaking. The only problem that we experienced, was that it was 30 degrees outside, and 70 degrees inside, so the glass in the windows would sweat. We also noticed that changes in weather from cold to warmer would cause it to have condensation on the inside walls. Something we did was, we bought a big tote with locking handles, and after every trip we washed and dried the bedding, and stored it in the tote for the next trip. We were being totally honest with you when we told you that we have never seen it leak. Again, I am sorry to hear that you are having problems. I hope you are able to remedy the situation easily.
Hi Mike - oh,we know you were telling us everything! Leaks were not major. You can't imagine what fun we are having with our/your camper...we rolled for the first time this week-end. Went to Hickory Knob SC State Park. Beautiful! We stayed warm as can be in rPad! We were the only campers, but had fun meeting the locals at the park lodge. Did we tell you and Bonnie we are Santa and Mrs. Claus? We had our outfits in the car, so Santa and Mrs. C crashed the Town of McCormick Christmas party Friday night. Have some fun pics of the Mayor and Police Chief on Santa's lap. Sat. morning went to the McCormick parade and recognized lots of the officials.

All this fun because we bought your Uhaul! Tell Bonnie I have made new curtains to replace the bears!

I am doing as you suggested on the backing, practicing!

Will post pictures when I figure out how to. Jane
Old 12-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #15

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H
Cute name, however, you might be confused with the r-Pod:

R-Pod Ultra Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River

Hi Roger - thank you, Yes, I had seen an R-Pod, and ike them, but actually, we named our little Uhaul camper "r-Pad2" as a bit of a play on the current Apple computer I-Pad craze. Wonder if Forest River was thinking the same thing? At any rate we like "r(our) Pad(home) 2(as in second home)".
Old 12-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13
North Carolina
Hi Mike - oh,we know you were telling us everything! Leaks were not major. You can't imagine what fun we are having with our/your camper...we rolled for the first time this week-end. Went to Hickory Knob SC State Park. Beautiful! We stayed warm as can be in rPad! We were the only campers, but had fun meeting the locals at the park lodge. Did we tell you and Bonnie we are Santa and Mrs. Claus? We had our outfits in the car, so Santa and Mrs. C crashed the Town of McCormick Christmas party Friday night. Have some fun pics of the Mayor and Police Chief on Santa's lap. Sat. morning went to the McCormick parade and recognized lots of the officials.

All this fun because we bought your Uhaul! Tell Bonnie I have made new curtains to replace the bears!

I am doing as you suggested on the backing, practicing!

Will post pictures when I figure out how to. Jane
Hi Jane.
Glad to hear you are enjoying the camper so much, and having so much fun. We hope it gives you years of enjoyment.
Mike in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #17

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane SC
Posted earlier this week that we had purchased Mike and Bonnie's '85 Uhaul CT. Adventure began when Greg took Hyundai up to UHaul to have hitch installed. Young guys there did not believe him when he said he was going to pull a UHaul Camper with it, they had never heard of one. Actually, we hadn't either until we joined FGRV. Anyway, the owner of several SC UHaul stores came in and he was so excited about our purchase. He asked to bring it up to the store so he could post pictures on their website. Geesh, we hadn't even picked it up and it was already infamous!

If anyone is interested, I will share our continuing saga as new owners. We have officially named her, "rPad2"
(i.e.- 'our new second home').

We have been running back and forth to Lowes for every cleaning product ever mentioned on FGRV and she already has a nickname. The cell calls to hubby go something like this: "Greg, which aisle are you in? Don't forget to buy Bar Keeper's Friend for PADDY!"

We are having great fun. Today, making new curtains, I'm turning into the Martha Stewert of camper decor.
Test on trying to attach pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2498587285.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	41810
Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #18

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I love those colors!

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #19

South Carolina
Our first outing with rPad2

Hi Cindy and all - Here are photos of us picking up our camper from Mike and Bonnie in NC and the trip back to SC.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0008.jpg   IMG_0009.jpg  

IMG_0701.jpg  
Old 12-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Love those GRINS!!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote