New with leaks! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #21

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I don't know where you got the idea that the frames are made in China.
Many of the small fiberglass frames have problems in this area and they really should be reinforced and inspected for that cracking.
As to the rest of the post - balderdash.
The pop rivets will work and get loose often, which is why I used screws in my rebuild.
The early Scamps were thinner walled tubing the later are 1/8" and thicker.
In my opinion these frame should all be reinforced in the bends with splayed plates inside and out.
They are not, however, two boat trailers welded together.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Using two trailer frames to make one doesn't make economic sense.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post
Yes. Eliane was asking advice about rivet hole cracks.
Newer Casitas routinely fail Canadian inspection due to rust.
Caveat Emptor
Stephen

I read back through all Elaine's comments on this thread. Rivet hole cracks or rust was never mentioned by her.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #24

And, what is this Canadian inspection of which you speak?
Old 01-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #25

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
The older Casita frames were made from two Chinese boat trailer frames according to a reliable source. Beyond that, we agree that nearly all stock small trailer frames are inadequate for boondocking. Additionally, they suffer ongoing deterioration from internal rust if not maintained. It is better to allow a shell to pop an easily replaceable rivet than subject it to massive stress that produces a large crack. This owner spent a lot of money repairing such a crack that is only going to recur because of a flexing frame:
https://youtu.be/koOCdqNaUEo

Shells do not deteriorate by themselves. Once the flexing frame is fixed, rivet popping stops.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:27 PM   #26

You need to provide "reliable sources".
Old 01-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #27

Tennessee
I wish I could. But I've forgotten since it was not really important. I do remember it was convincing at the time so I moved on the key issues of the frame, axle, et al.

Stephen
Old 01-12-2019, 08:45 PM   #28

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
A really forgettable reliable source?
Two boat trailers welded together, not reliably likely.
The frame is a simple ladder frame basically copied from the Boler and Scamp it was copied from.
There are weakness in the frame, but they do last a long time longer than was ever intended and repairs are necessary from tome to time.
I recommend reinforcing the bends inside and out but not replacing the whole frame.
I added a lot to my frame to bond the shell and make it stiffer.
Boondocking is an abuse for the original design and if you feel that that is what you want then none are good to go without a lot of work.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #29

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Nothing really unique about Casita frame, axle, or use of rivets either. Casita makes a good trailer, lots of happy owners out there.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:53 AM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Furthermore, the older Casitas like yours have a known grossly inadequate frame made in China by merging two boat trailers. Stephen
Have to agree with JD about not being factory built from two Chinese boat trailers. Funny, with thousands of Casitas out there that have had extensive mods done on them that nobody has ever mentioned that. Possibly your source bought a trailer that an PO did some...shade tree repairs and replaced a (broken) factory frame with a couple boat trailers and just assumed they were all like that .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:22 AM   #31

Tennessee
Regrettably, what you say about design limitations is true, though there is the rare exception. That is why it is so important for a prospective owner to define his goals and then shop accordingly. In that regard, without focusing on unnecessary accuracy, the RV landscape is rapidly changing. With some 300,000 new units flooding the market annually and 3 million units in place, parks and campsites are rapidly filling up. If a new owner's idea of "camping" is lumbering down a paved highway from one crowded overpriced RV slum to another, then stock products are accommodative. But an inspiring back-to-nature RV experience will only be available to those who can four season boondock with alacrity. For them, "Born and bred in the briar patch" away from the teaming hoards is where it is at. All the small trailer damage stories are the result of an owner trying to do that without realizing his trailer was not up to it. Manufacturers and dealers are certainly not informing the public of this brutal truth.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:07 AM   #32

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wow! Two drips and now we’re talking about replacing the whole frame.

If there are stress cracks or distortion of the shell, then yes, I would suggest having the frame looked at. If there are repeated rivet failures in one area of the shell, frame issues could be to blame. And yes, with a newly acquired trailer of this age, it would be a good idea to have the frame inspected simply as a precaution.

But it is very unlikely the frame has anything to to with these isolated leaks. Sealants do deteriorate over time and periodic maintenance is normal and possibly indicated. I agree that condensation could also be the culprit.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #33

Name: kenneth
Trailer: x
Georgia
Quote:
Yes. Eliane was asking advice about rivet hole cracks. No rivet hole should EVER crack. That is clear evidence the trailer has been overstressed. As I said, the frames of older Casitas were so weak the manufacturer replaced the entire structure. And all unmaintained frames get weaker every year from INTERNAL rust corrosion. Here is an example of one that failed in normal use:
https://youtu.be/2mkdc4-y4Fc

Newer Casitas routinely fail Canadian inspection due to rust.

Caveat Emptor

Stephen
I've watched a number of vids by the lady with the '93 Casita, the frame broke again later because of the materials / design of the frame that you can see at about 7:40 in the vid. After the 'rescue' where bolster plates were welded to the FIRST break, a couple years later the next weakest area broke which was in the strange curved (by machine bending) areas you can see there. Current frames are considerably improved.
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks