Newbe here looking for info - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min View Post
I have a 13' Trillium and have not felt the need for extended mirrors at all.

I would suggest you check your local laws concerning rear view mirrors. Most of the US requires to see at least 200 feet behind you and your trailer.

Good Luck.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
As mentioned, these trailers are actually narrow.

I tow mine with an F150 c/w a tow/haul package.

With the regular truck mirrors, 200 feet is not a problem.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:12 AM   #23

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Before I picked up my trailer I was also worried about mirror extensions. I decided to wait until I got there to see if I would need them as they are not that hard to buy in local auto parts store. Turns out my OEM mirrors were good for the job. However you could consider having a rear view camera on the trailer if you are worried that someone might be invisible behind the trailer. I am lucky that my trailer has a tall window in the back door and I can see by looking in my rearview mirror in the car right on through the trailer and out the window. It has one of the stick on, wide angle, Fresnel lenses on the trailer door window.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:19 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I would suggest you check your local laws concerning rear view mirrors. Most of the US requires to see at least 200 feet behind you and your trailer.

Good Luck.
Not directly behind the trailer. The geometry makes that impossible without a rearview camera. Even the best towing mirrors leave a huge blind spot behind the trailer. Many state laws are unfortunately vague, but those that spell it out say 200' along a line parallel to the side of the trailer.

This diagram illustrates the required field of view. In the US substitute 200 feet for 20m, and some states specify the 200 feet starts at the back of the trailer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Towing Mirrors.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	122206

This photo shows the typical view in a properly adjusted towing mirror. Note that you can see very little directly behind the trailer, but there is a clear view of the adjacent lane.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Towing Mirror 2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	122207

If you want to see directly behind the trailer you could install a rearview camera, but I have found with a narrower trailer like a Scamp it's really not needed. By moving left or right within your lane you can see what's behind you, and on a curve you get a clear view. That's important because most states have laws requiring you to pull over if traffic is piling up behind you.

The body of my Honda Pilot tow vehicle is the same width as the Scamp, so the OEM mirrors work fine without extensions.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Not directly behind the trailer. The geometry makes that impossible without a rearview camera. Even the best towing mirrors leave a huge blind spot behind the trailer. Many state laws are unfortunately vague, but those that spell it out say 200' along a line parallel to the side of the trailer.
This diagram illustrates the required field of view. In the US substitute 200 feet for 20m, and some states specify the 200 feet starts at the back of the trailer.
Attachment 122206
This photo shows the typical view in a properly adjusted towing mirror. Note that you can see very little directly behind the trailer, but there is a clear view of the adjacent lane.
Attachment 122207
If you want to see directly behind the trailer you could install a rearview camera, but I have found with a narrower trailer like a Scamp it's really not needed. By moving left or right within your lane you can see what's behind you, and on a curve you get a clear view. That's important because most states have laws requiring you to pull over if traffic is piling up behind you.
The body of my Honda Pilot tow vehicle is the same width as the Scamp, so the OEM mirrors work fine without extensions.
Good post and pics Jon. I think many folks take the 200' to mean directly behind the trailer.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #26

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
I tried some clip-on mirrors but no matter how tight I put them on or adjusted them, they vibrated too much - at night, the reflected headlights were very distracting. I agree that with a 6' wide egg, extended mirrors aren't needed - unless you tow with an undersized vehicle, perhaps...and there will be more issue from that than mirrors!
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #27

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:

Attachment 122206

Attachment 122207

I guess that diagram shows 20m behind only for illustration, but a meter is a little over a yard (~39.2" if I remember) and 20m is a shade over 65'.

I have the mirrors linked in post #2, and actually like the teardrop shape. The mirror case pivots on the end of the post, and I've ended up with the clips on the top of the OEM mirror, and the teardrop tapered down toward the rocker panel. Keeps the side distance extension down, but still effective, and seems to make it easier to see low objects near the rear of the trailer.

FYI, I first bought some strap-ons, that didn't fit, despite marketing. Seems the OEM mirror housing for style, blinkers, etc., was rounded and cornered in the wrong places to fit the pads on the straps.

2015 4Runner Limited
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:24 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bob, the diagram has 20m because it was a UK website. I presume that is their requirement for towing mirrors. I used it to illustrate the geometry only. As you say, the US requirement of 200' is a longer distance.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:25 AM   #29

Registry
Quote:

Attachment 122206

Attachment 122207

There's a few errors in this.

1. 20meter does NOT equial 200feet. it's closer 65.6158 feet
2. extension mirrors extend out enough that the angle of reflection is NOT down the side of the tow vehicle and trailer but aimed at the rear corner of the trailer. Thus the sighting will be across the rear of the trailer at some distance from the rear of the trailer. The LAW says it has to 200 feet or closer.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Here is the mirrors that I us. I have had them since 2009.

https://www.hensleymfg.com/products/mckesh-mirrors/

Bill Kelleher
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #31

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: Looking for
Pennsylvania
I agree with Borego Dave...

Welcome newbie.
I own a 2 year old Scamp 13’.
I got the strap-on mirror extensions but I don’t ever use them. I can see around it pefectly fine from the stock mirrors on my Kia Sportage.
Pocket_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #32

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Bill,
Those are serious mirrors. The article on the law in the states is good info. Just not having any type of extended mirrors could get you a summons in some states.

Jack
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Here is the law in British Columbia. Other states and provinces have similarly worded regulation:

The following is from B.C. Motor Vehicle Act:

Where a trailer or semitrailer in a combination of vehicles diminishes the driver's reflected rear view through the rear view mirrors required by subsections (1) to (3), the towing vehicle in the combination of vehicles shall be equipped with 2 mirrors, one affixed to each side of the motor vehicle, and each to provide the driver with an undistorted reflected view of the adjacent lane of the highway from a point on the road surface 11 m ( 36 feet ) behind the driver to a point on the road surface 61 m ( 200 feet ) from the rear of the combination of vehicles.

Note that it says adjacent lanes, not the lane you are in ( directly behind the trailer ).
Old 07-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #34

Name: Jay
Trailer: Scamp 16
Idaho
I too am confused by the issue of using towing mirrors with a trailer that is hardly wider than the TV. How could you see around the rear of the trailer with tow mirrors? If you could I would certainly get some. I drive a Toyota 4 Runner and tow a Scamp 16 standard.
JRSeguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:28 PM   #35

Name: Jody
Wisconsin
Hi,

I have been towing my 2015 13-Scamp with a 2017 Ford Escape. I do not have anything but my side view mirrors, and can see just fine without extenders. Save yourself the money and try towing with just your side mirrors. Just be sure they are positioned properly to see what is on either side of you.
jlokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #36

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Check out the link on Bill K. post, go down to the end and you will find a state by state law pertaining to the use of mirrors on the tow vehicle.

Also see Jon from AZ diagram showing what it all means about the view from your mirrors.

Thanks for the great info.

Jack
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #37

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
There are much better tow mirrors on the market....try an internet search to find some real quality units.
Avoid the type in the pictures that attach to your current mirrors....they are all junk and you will end up replacing them.
Note: Whatever you select remember they must extend out from your vehicle so you can see to the rear with a wide field of vision.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #38

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
There's a few errors in this.

1. 20meter does NOT equial 200feet. it's closer 65.6158 feet
2. extension mirrors extend out enough that the angle of reflection is NOT down the side of the tow vehicle and trailer but aimed at the rear corner of the trailer. Thus the sighting will be across the rear of the trailer at some distance from the rear of the trailer. The LAW says it has to 200 feet or closer.
Byron, if you are saying that the driver must be able to see directly behind the trailer, then take every semi off the road. They can't see directly behind the trailer at all. Maximum vehicle width is 102". Mirrors are to extend no more then 10", on either side. Lets think about a B train. That is two 40 foot trailers in tandem. Ignoring the distance between them, and the distance from the front of the first trailer to the mirror, that makes a distance of 80 feet to the rear corner.

It is reasonable that 80 feet behind the last trailer, you would be able to see 10 inches inside the wake of the trailer, on each side. At 200' you would be able to see 25 inches. You could only see the middle of the lane, or 51" inside the wake of the trailer, at 408 feet behind the trailer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:33 PM   #39

It isn't necessary to see directly behind, close to the trailer. If you are being tailgated that close, you're better off keeping your eyes on the road ahead so you won't have to make an abrupt stop or lane change.

You can note vehicles that may be there when in a curve, by checking your mirrors. If the sun is out, you will often see the following vehicle's shadow.
Keep your eyes on the road ahead ( far ahead ).
Old 07-25-2018, 02:38 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
There are much better tow mirrors on the market....try an internet search to find some real quality units.
Avoid the type in the pictures that attach to your current mirrors....they are all junk and you will end up replacing them.
Note: Whatever you select remember they must extend out from your vehicle so you can see to the rear with a wide field of vision.

No idea the pictures or mirrors you are saying are junk. My Milenco Grand Aero mirrors attach to the mirror housing, not the mirror, so they can each be adjusted independently.
And, it's not a wide field of vision that you need from the towing mirror. It's the ability to see back 200' in the adjacent lane. The vehicle mirrors will provide near view.
Attached Thumbnails
Milenco .jpg