Newbie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #1

Name: Newbie333
Trailer: In the market
California

Hi everyone! I'm new to all of this. I've never owned a trailer or Motorhome, but I have decided to do full time RV ing. I have 2 medium sized dogs who will travel with me, and I'm hoping to get some input from you nice people

I've decided on a fiberglass RV for many reasons but the biggest is health. The older non fibrrglass rv's are loaded with VOC's, and I react to it strongly. I'm very sensitive to chemicals. Another reason is I'm hoping not to have to do a lot of maintenance, I'm not very mechanically inclined. (I wish I was, I've seen your before and after posts and I'm very impressed!)

I know I would like an aluminum frame, all electric, solar.....I'm concerned about having an ac unit and a furnace. I think I can find places to plug a small electric heater in, but the a/c I have to have.....I've been reading your posts about having ac on the top vs inside, and I'm perplexed.....

The casita is a nice trailer, but I sat in one for a while and the carpet bothered me. I know I'm picky as heck, but I'm going to be full timing and need to love what I'm living in.....I also need a queen sized bed.....

I'd love to own an Oliver some day. Until then, I've narrowed it down to the Escape, lil snoozy, egg camper, and maybe a trillium or boler, if it's been completely redone. My budget is 15k or under........any ideas would be helpful, I feel overwhelmed, and want to find one and start full timing!

I also haves Prius so I'm going to trade it in for maybe a Chevy Tahoe or suburban.....

*feeling lost an overwhlemed* but in a good way
Newbie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
The Queen size bed is going to narrow your options in a used trailer quite a bit. I sleep fine by myself on the standard rear (dinette) bed of my Scamp by myself, it would not be comfortable with a partner (or a dog or two). There will be several people along to tell you how great they sleep as a couple on the tiny bed, and I am happy for them. But what I am concerned about is MY night's sleep. Escape is a great option and Parkliner has a Queen bed. I doubt you will find either in your price range as the Escape is a little more expensive and there are not that many Parkliners let alone used ones. Not going to try towing with the Prius?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
My advice to every beginner is to attend a fiberglass rally. Everyone I've been to has a show and tell day. You'll learn more in a day than you will any where else from real users.

As to the bed, if you want a queen, and considering your budget, I Tim's suggestion of a Parkliner is a good one, an alternative is the Lil' Snoozy. Unfortunately both of these companies are new and there are a lot of them out there though they occasionally come up for sale on this site.

If I were you I would contact the respective factories. They may have a list of local owners. I find them typically friendly and willing to share.

ParkLiner Fiberglass Ultralight Travel Trailers - – Take me somewhere fun! ™

Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites

I assume you're considering a Tahoe because of the dogs, really more then enough tow vehicle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #4

Name: Newbie333
Trailer: In the market
California
Thanks for your replies!

Tim: it's just me and the dogs, just the way I like it! They always end up in my bed.....I have a foam tempur pedic that I'd like to transfer into my trailer, I love my bed and would consider getting it cut to fit a smaller space....do you full time?
Norm and Ginny: I'm trying to find a rally in SoCal...yes I think it's a great idea! Do you full time in your scamp?
Newbie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Traveling

Newbie,

We have been retired for 14 years. We travel a little less then 8 months a year. Every other year we do a loop of the USA and Canada, the odd years we camp some where for the winter and every other year we go to Newfoundland for 2 months in the spring. Occasionally we travel in the summer, using it for places like Alaska.

We had never RVed before retirement. We started in a motorhome and graduated down to small trailers ending up with a Scamp 16. There are a lot of choices and really I'm sure we'd be happy in any of them, we've spent a year in a Casita before our Scamp.

The small trailers are easier to own and handle than the motorhome and allows us to go to a wider range of places.

As Tim said, we're very happy in a small bed. We have no pets. They just don't fit how we travel. I do understand some need larger beds and there are choices for that need.

There are two rallies listed in CA, one in September and one in October.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...266&dg=feature

Good luck in your search.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Newbie 333 you may want to check out my sons new trailer at happier camper . Com . His new trailer may suit most of your needs and he is in California . 1st trailer should be ready in 2 to 3 weeks .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote