Newbie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 05:26 AM   #1

Name: Mary
Trailer: In the Market
Pennsylvania

Hi my name is Mary and I look forward to finding a scamp 13 ft that I can travel with my dog Juno!! Im driving cross country from Pa to Colorado in May and would love to find a scamp on my road trip!! I will keep looking for any possibilities , anyway hope to join up with the group at some point in my scamp
Cheers Mary
Mcalvitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #2

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Did you consult the Rally Map of this site?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...xF2m4ctS1Y8Yko

Have a good day,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #3

Pennsylvania

I have ordered a 13 ft scamp but if I find one before it is ready to be built I might consider it. I just need to know if anyone pulls there 13 ft scamp with a subaru forester 4 cylinder, the Scamp outfitters said people do it all the time. Can someone reassure me before I buy!!
thank You Mcalvitti
Old 04-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
What year is your Forester? My 2014 was rated to pull 1500, with max of 200 on the hitch, IIRC. Had a 2002 that was rated more, maybe 2000 lbs. Years in between may have been even more (3000?), but a couple of pieces of regular advice I've found since I've been checking this stuff out, is you don't want to be right at your tow max, and a salesman's job is it sell trailers.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcalvitti View Post
I have ordered a 13 ft scamp but if I find one before it is ready to be built I might consider it. I just need to know if anyone pulls there 13 ft scamp with a subaru forester 4 cylinder, the Scamp outfitters said people do it all the time. Can someone reassure me before I buy!!
thank You Mcalvitti
Hi, Mary! Check out the Trailer Weights in the Real World thread. There's bound to be a Scamp 13 listed there, outfitted for camping. ("Dry weights" listed on some manufacturer brochures can vary - many don't include weights of appliances, much less full water and propane tanks, and your camping gear.) Once you have an idea of how heavy your Scamp will be, you can check the tow rating of your vehicle (via your owners' manual or the Subaru website, perhaps).
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Mcalvitti

thank you so much !! I will ck it out
Mary
Old 04-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If your Scamp is fairly basic- no bathroom, limited options, packed lightly, you might scrape by. But not by much, so it will be marginal. Loaded Scamps with the bathroom package, A/C, awning, etc. can approach 2000#.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:18 AM   #8

Trailer: 75 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcalvitti View Post
thank You Mcalvitti
I pull my 13 foot (1975) Scamp with a 4 cylinder Ford Escape and have not had any issues. Towing capacity is supposed to be 1500lbs. and the Scamp paperwork says it weighs ~ 950lbs.
Lydia W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #9

Pennsylvania
Scamp Trailer

Great thank You!!
Old 05-03-2017, 08:25 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New Scamps have a base dry weight (per the Scamp website) of 1250 pounds. That's without battery, LP, or any options. It doesn't take too many options to get up to 1300 or 1400 pounds empty, which doesn't leave much capacity for your food, clothes, and other camping gear.

Lydia, you might want to weigh your empty Scamp. The older ones do tend to be lighter, but I'll bet it weighs more than 950 pounds. Better yet, weigh it loaded, since that's what really matters.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #11

Trailer: 75 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
New Scamps have a base dry weight (per the Scamp website) of 1250 pounds. That's without battery, LP, or any options. It doesn't take too many options to get up to 1300 or 1400 pounds empty, which doesn't leave much capacity for your food, clothes, and other camping gear.

Lydia, you might want to weigh your empty Scamp. The older ones do tend to be lighter, but I'll bet it weighs more than 950 pounds. Better yet, weigh it loaded, since that's what really matters.
Thanks Jon...it probably does weigh more, but so far, so good. I tend to travel light, but I'm sure that I'm over 1500lbs. I live in the Adirondack Mountains / northern NY and haul my Scamp up & down some decent mountains! My next tow vehicle will have a heavier towing capacity. Before the Escape, I hauled it with a Subaru Outback Sport! I'm probably pushing my luck, so will get it weighed once I pull it out of storage in a week or so!
Lydia W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #12

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
Smile Hi, I am new here

My name is Bruce and joined this site to learn more about fiberglass travel trailers.
bcw8man is offline   Reply With Quote