Newbie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #1

Name: Kate
Trailer: Casita 2018 Liberty Dlx
Massachusetts

Hello all,
Big thanks to everyone who has contributed to this awesome site. Have learned so much already! Now I have a good idea of the size and layout of trailer that will best meet my needs. If only a used one would come up for sale in New England.

Will go to a big RV/Camping show in Feb. to continue my education. Will take a towel with me to mop up all the drool.

Looking forward to meeting some of you at my first rally.
KamperKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I assume you are referring to the camper show at the Big E. You won't find any fiberglass campers there as almost all are sold factory direct, no dealers. If you want a fiberglass camper you may be able to get a referral from one of the manufacturers to someone in your area that has a model like you are looking for. Another option is to attend a rally, but the only one I can think of in the Northeast is the Spring Fling in New England that Gerry sponsors at Chocorau KOA in New Hampshire, in May. They do a open house / trailer tour one day. You can find a thread on it here. We will have our Casita at the Brattleboro VT vintage rally in June.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #3

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Even if you think you know exactly what you want based on researching layouts, looking at pictures, and watching videos, you may be surprised by what you find upon actually walking around and inside a trailer. That's when it "all comes together." Our only previous experience with RVs came from relatives with motorhomes or fifth wheels, so the downsizing to a 17'-ish egg was quite a shock!

We didn't bother going to any RV shows after learning that they are primarily stickies and motorhomes. Though in retrospect it wouldn't have hurt to check things out. I kind of wish we'd ventured down to the big show in Elkhart to see the competition.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #4

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I assume you are referring to the camper show at the Big E. You won't find any fiberglass campers there as almost all are sold factory direct, no dealers. If you want a fiberglass camper you may be able to get a referral from one of the manufacturers to someone in your area that has a model like you are looking for. Another option is to attend a rally, but the only one I can think of in the Northeast is the Spring Fling in New England that Gerry sponsors at Chocorau KOA in New Hampshire, in May. They do a open house / trailer tour one day. You can find a thread on it here. We will have our Casita at the Brattleboro VT vintage rally in June.
Bob and Mary,

Thanks for your response. I figured out that I won't find eggs at the RV shows. I'm going for general education plus information on related gear. I was able to "visit" a 17' Casita for the first time today and found the experience even better than expected.

Will look up details on Spring rally in NH. Are non-vintage owners welcome at the Vermont rally in June?
Old 12-07-2019, 04:47 PM   #5

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
Even if you think you know exactly what you want based on researching layouts, looking at pictures, and watching videos, you may be surprised by what you find upon actually walking around and inside a trailer. That's when it "all comes together." Our only previous experience with RVs came from relatives with motorhomes or fifth wheels, so the downsizing to a 17'-ish egg was quite a shock!

We didn't bother going to any RV shows after learning that they are primarily stickies and motorhomes. Though in retrospect it wouldn't have hurt to check things out. I kind of wish we'd ventured down to the big show in Elkhart to see the competition.
Hi Justus,
Thank you for the reply. Had my first walk-through today. It was Casita 17' and I was pleasantly surprised. Felt roomier than expected, other than head-space. It confirmed my sense that I don't need MORE space. RV show I plan to attend is smaller than Elkhart and mostly for general education. Also want to check out gear and accessories. Have seen the term "stickies" in other posts, but not clear on the meaning.
Cheers!
Old 12-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
“Sticky(-ies)” originally meant a wood-framed, aluminum-skinned trailer. Here it is often used more generally for any trailer that’s not all-molded fiberglass, including those with aluminum frames rather than wood, as well as those made from laminated panels with a fiberglass skin.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperKate View Post
Bob and Mary,

Thanks for your response. I figured out that I won't find eggs at the RV shows. I'm going for general education plus information on related gear. I was able to "visit" a 17' Casita for the first time today and found the experience even better than expected.

Will look up details on Spring rally in NH. Are non-vintage owners welcome at the Vermont rally in June?
We have a Casita SD Deluxe 17. Side dinette, rear bed, front bathroom. We had to ask the question about would a non-vintage camper be allowed at the September Brattleboro rally because we had just sold our '84 Uhaul camper and wanted to take our '96 Casita. We haven't camped with our '46 teardrop in a few years because it's only 4 feet wide and 10 feet long, and we have become spoiled with the Casita. The Brattleboro KOA has new owners this year, and the answer was they were more interested in the group camaraderie than year of the trailers. The only issue may be that there is a discount if you are a rally participant. The campground is not closed to non rally campers during the two rally weekends (June & September) so there are always some other campers there. The campsites are usually sold out for those weekends so you have to book way in advance. They also have a waiting list as there are usually last minute cancellations. They do a 3 hour open house for the local public to come in and see the campers on Saturday. The new owners are doing some major upgrades for next year, and since they have only hosted one rally it's possible that they may change some things. Note that this rally is done by the campground owners, so they run it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:21 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperKate View Post
Bob and Mary,

Hey KamperKate, for sure you welcome to come to the Spring Fling in New England Rally, here in NH in May. We get an assortment of styles of campers and you can tour them on our "Shine & Show" day.
The rally is already posted in the "Rallies Meets" and a link to previous year rallies can be seen there.
Non-vintage and non Fiberglass trailers are welcome and is loads of fun for all who attend with events and get togethers going on for the full 4 days.
It is held at Chocorua Camping Village, KOA and the owner gives all who are attending the Rally, a sizable discount on sites.
Contact me personally if you need more info but I would sure like to meet you next May In Chocorua.
Host of the Rally
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote