Newbie Beachcomber owner from Saskatchewan, Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2016, 10:21 AM   #1

Name: Melody
Trailer: Beachcomber
Alberta
Registry
Newbie Beachcomber owner from Saskatchewan, Canada

Hi all,

I've looked on your site a bit over the last month or so as it came up often searching google while researching and searching for a trailer.

I ended up just purchasing a few days ago, a 1977 Beachcomber, 15 ft. I HOPE it's in solid shape and didn't miss anything major in my (and mechanic friend's) pre-purchase assessment.

I'm excited to have my own home away from home and no doubt will be spending most of my free time reading about updating flooring and paint, maintenance, etc.

I hope to paint the interior this fall, time permitting, and give it a good interior cleaning. Would eventually like to update the flooring, perhaps with vinyl planks. I know a big consideration for me will be our harsh winters, and the trailer won't be stored in a heated facility....likely out in the open with a tarp over it during the winter. I know with the temperature extremes, I'll have to carefully choose paints and flooring to withstand the intense fluctuations.

I'll likely be posting lots of the Beachcomber forum and main forum as well - I have a lot to learn!

Thanks,
Melody
Melody beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of help here! To search previous postings, simply click on the "Search" button above, go to the bottom of the drop-down menu, insert your search words into the "Search Site/ Google" section and you will get lots of advice that has been previously posted.

Since you live in extreme weather, of which I know little since I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, you might want to PM (private message) some who also live in extreme weather for their advice.

Best of luck with your new project! If you ever want sewing-related advice I'd be glad to help you!
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 006.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Melody, I lived in that Gawd forsakin flat frozen country for 55 years,,, not to worry your trailer is up to the task of spending a bit of time out in the cold,,,lol
Have a great time refurbing your Beachcomber!
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
Melody, I lived in that Gawd forsakin flat frozen country for 55 years,,, not to worry your trailer is up to the task of spending a bit of time out in the cold,,,lol
Have a great time refurbing your Beachcomber!
Fred
Careful what you say about the land of my birth and upbringing!
You must mean "God's Country"
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Saskatchewan is a big place. Where do you call home?
I was born in Regina, moved to S'toon for all my school years, graduated fron U of S Engineering in 1960. My grandparents farmed near Avonlea and Rouleau
But, now we live in Dubuque, Iowa, retired from John Deere.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Welcome, as well, from Washington, woo hoo!

It is so fun to have your little house in the driveway--hope it will be your little house on the freeway (or roadway) (or campground) as much as possible!

Peanut--the 73 amerigo--one shell, two nuts. Also, the keychain Paul made me out of leftover Lexan (front rock shield) and an extra globe logo.
Attached Thumbnails
Key Chain Scanner Photo.jpg   PEANUT possible logo for amerigo trailer.jpg  

Old 09-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #7

Name: Chris
Nova Scotia
Registry
You'll love the beachcomber. We just finised updating ours.

You'll have no problem with it withstanding the winters! Just make sure no water gets inside!

Make sure you keep us updated on the status of your upgrades.
rambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #8

Name: Yvette
Trailer: 1975 trillium 13ft
Saskatchewan
Smile

I am new here as well. From Moose Jaw, so I understand the extreme weather problem. I painted some interior spots of our 1975 Trillium with exterior paint, 3 years ago, and it seems to have worked excellent. I layed vinyl plank floor also- no glue.
[ATTACH]99387 [/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
The Enns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #9

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Hey Yvette- I threw a book name into a college Charades game back in the 60's "Still Circling Over Moose Jaw". My friends refused to believe it was real!
Old 09-05-2016, 08:50 PM   #10

Name: Jim
Trailer: Compact Junior
Saskatchewan
Go Riders!!

Glad to see another Saskie with FGRV connection. My wife and I have just completed a refurbishing of a Hunter Compact Junior. Great fun!!! and a great addition to our holiday possibilities. We have a fair amount of practical experience now in refurbishing. Incidentally we have for sale 1) a two way fridgeand .. 2) a propane heater (both for a camper trailer)
jish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #11

Alberta
Registry
Saskatoon

Thanks all for your welcome!

I'm from the city of bridges, lovely Saskatoon.

I bought some plank flooring already and zinsser 1-2-3 primer for walls. Having trouble finding right type of paint. Was looking for Painters Touch interior/exterior latex paint but very little selection where I've checked. May need to use semi-gloss and only found quart sizes. Would like it tinted, but due to lack of local store expertise, may have trouble there. Anyone from Saskatchewan have any recommendations of where to go for paint and what brand? Also wondering if I should use enamel/melamine on the outer cupboards?

It has the original 3 way fridge but the propane option needs modification as former owner told me someone needs to light outside at the same time as someone turns on inside. I'm solo and won't be able to teach my dog to help. My handy friend says he has an idea, we'll look at it today. Maybe I should get a new fridge??

I've learned that it shouldn't be covered with tarp, so will look at roof today and try to put on some protectant wax for fibreglass.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #12

Name: Jim
Trailer: Compact Junior
Saskatchewan
Wink Comment from fellow Saskie again

I am from Watrous/Manitou Beach ( 60 miles from Saskatoon!!) and as I said my wife and I just finished restoring the interior of a Compact Junior (FGRV)
My wife did the painting after using BIN primer directly on all surfaces (FG and cabinets). She was then confident in using just about paint. She used Rustoleum paint that she purchased from Lowes Saskatoon. Let each layer (3) dry thoroughly before recoating.
Good luck....incidentally Eggers (FGRVers) held a meet at Manitou Regional Park at Manitou Beach during July. I was unable to attend but will next year as it would be an excellent opportunity to exchange ideas, swap parts and stories.
jish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #13

Alberta
Registry
I've been to Manitou Beach and will have to go in July!

Was the rustoleum Painters Touch? Gallon size? Tintable? I find most places carry mostly the spray paint.

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #14

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody beachcomber View Post
I've been to Manitou Beach and will have to go in July!

Was the rustoleum Painters Touch? Gallon size? Tintable? I find most places carry mostly the spray paint.

Thanks!
That is what I used inside our Scamp, with good results after two seasons camping and one winter in Colorado. You CAN order different colors and finishes from Amazon. It took one quart for one coat on our Scamp 13 interior.

And welcome!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #15

Alberta
Registry
Attachment 99699

Hi - trying to upload some Fiberglass "repairs" I'm concerned about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	99702
Old 09-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #16

Alberta
Registry
And no repair other than tape on this spot by the door:Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	99701
Old 09-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #17

Alberta
Registry
After reading further, I figure I should have these spots as priority rather than decor. That's some type of silicone on the top corner of trailer.

I sent these pics to a Fiberglass repair shop to see what they can do. Hoping, but bracing myself for bad news cost-wise on the quote. I could maybe try to learn on the spot by the door but think that corner is beyond me at this time.

Your thoughts please!?
Old 06-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #18

Alberta
Registry
Hi all, me again.

I'm a determined lady and would love to see this Reno to the end but, other than very tight money issues, I've learned that it's very difficult to own a bit of a fixer upper when living in a condo. Can't park trailer in my parking spot (even though it fits very nicely!). Luckily I know someone on an acreage, over an hour away, who allowed me to store it there. I've been going out every Sunday for the last month and allowing myself two more (Sunday's). I've attacked the gel coat repairs but it's very slow going. Many layers and sanding in between means I only do one layer a week. I'll be pushing it to meet my deadline.

I had lofty hopes last fall thinking I'd paint the interior. I'm not even close yet. I work full time, an extra pt, and have a dog. After sanding and applying filler/gel coat, I fiddle with interior ensolite mouldings that are coming off. Any ideas??? I'm trying liquid nails to reattach it, but it doesn't set fast enough for it to hold on the curves. I'm thinking of trying drops of super fast drying gorilla glue at critical points to try to keep it in place while the liquid nails sets. Last weekend I tried taping with gorilla tape while it sets, but that doesn't hold it either. There doesn't appear to be enough framing underneath most of these area to use real nails at the curved spots either.

I've almost got the curtains done but still have to make the cushion covers. And I'm getting worn out. Due to financial issues and logistics I've realized, unfortunately, that I need to sell it. breaks my heart as I've gotten attached to it and will really regret not being able to see it through to what I envision.

If anyone has any tips for reattaching the ensolite seam pieces, please let me know! If I could get that completed, I'll be very close to using the paint and new flooring I've already purchased.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you're going to paint, you might consider removing the T-molding pieces altogether. Caulk the seams with paintable latex. Some dab the caulk with a crumpled cloth to approximate the texture of the surrounding Ensolite. Paint over all.

If you aren't going to get to the paint before you sell, I'd at least not use gorilla glue or any kind of permanent adhesive. That will just make the next person's job harder.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #20

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If you're going to paint, you might consider removing the T-molding pieces altogether. Caulk the seams with paintable latex. Some dab the caulk with a crumpled cloth to approximate the texture of the surrounding Ensolite. Paint over all.

If you aren't going to get to the paint before you sell, I'd at least not use gorilla glue or any kind of permanent adhesive. That will just make the next person's job harder.

Thank you! I started a new thread regarding this issue and didn't get any replies. I don't have any help with the renos, not even for a 2nd opinion, so this means a lot. Just your suggestion has gotten me turned around to approach it differently, and hopefully, more successfully! Will latex caulk hold down the seams...quick enough for me to wait out the holding part? There are some places where the ensolite is pushing inward about 1/4". Doesn't meet smoothly, which is adding to my problem with the liquid nails as well.

Tags
beachcomber